Void deck stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

peapilot

Sep 9, 2005
Hello all I'm doing a little project on void decks and am interested to hear from you guys any personal or interesting stories to share.

The reason for my project is that I think we often take our void decks for granted and seeing that up to 80% of us are living in HDB flats, there are bound to be many things that happen at void decks that we do not realise. So I'm hoping to gather these stories and share them with others.

Would appreciate any contribution to this thread.

Thanks. :)

as in? what's going on ard our void decks?

most of the time, a place where aunties meet up after their marketing to talk about their children's education etc.
else so bo liao sec sch kids smoking ( personal exp )
fights, though rare but still can be seen sometimes ( personal exp )
parking of bikes on the given lots and leaving it there to rot and let others steal ur wheels.
old unkers meeting up for chess games, fish & bird admiring for those with citizen corners.

so far can think of these.

Thanks! Yeah stuff like that, but anything personal to share? I'm available on PM if it's too personal for public view!

Thanks! Yeah stuff like that, but anything personal to share? I'm available on PM if it's too personal for public view!

i think i juz shared 2 personal exp there. :)

perhaps another personal exp would be kids playing block catching? or badminton? stuffs like that are rather common and i use to play badminton under void deck.

more commonly seen would be boys playing football when the no football sign is juz above the goalie head.

else wait till occasions like mid autumn, where kids will carry lanterns, sparkles and parents standing by a side and chit chat as usual.

y not u take some time walk ard diff areas and blocks, im sure u'll be able to see something that u wan, u dun stay in HDB i suppose? :dunno:

oooh yeah pardon me I didn't see the (personal exp). Quite an exciting childhood you had there!

I've been in HDB all my life, that's why this project is even more challenging because I too take for granted all my experiences at the void deck. Been walking around hoping to develop a fresh eye for the subject.

I'm hoping at the end of the project that others too could approach their own void decks with a fresh perspective.

I remember the soccer and the lanterns, and my mom burning incense paper at the void decks too. I think it's very poignant all these memories and particular to Singapore and I hope to capture them before they disappear.

Still got..like funeral, malay wedding, cats feeding, couples hanky panky, loan sharks writings on the walls, property advertisments stick all over the walls near the lifts, flea markets under void decks, ...

My block void deck has been converted to senior citizen corner, almost every evening got a lot of old folks watching TV and eating pot luck there :sweat:

Pot luck? That sounds pretty cool which area is that?

Pot luck? That sounds pretty cool which area is that?

all over SG. I've seen this from Yio Chu Kang to Holland Village.

Like Chicken soup for the soul? You gonna pay us royalties?

Not quite chicken soup for the soul - more like a documentary of sorts and no I am not out to get you guys to do my homework for me, I'm sorry you feel like that advrider. What I'm seeking is personal stories from people from different walks of life.

My team has been actively seeking out people who make the void deck their private space and have discovered quite a bit about something we often take for granted as Singaporeans. If you have a personal story to share and it's interesting we want to speak to you to find out more.

Because we don't have a working budget and am paying out of our own pockets for many things already (some of you might be more familiar with the costs involved in video production), we are unable to pay outright for your stories, but we are not out to exploit you and will certainly repay in kind.

I'm sorry but I fail to see what's so funny.

I am not twisting anybody's arm to volunteer their personal stories. Likewise, I am not out to make any money with my project, in fact, I am paying out of my own pocket for a project that I feel will benefit the community and society that I live in.

If you feel that you are being exploited by being asked to share your personal stories then by all means keep it to yourself. There really is no need for such cynical and unconstructive comments - shame on you :thumbsd:

Meanwhile, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Thank you.

Aiyoh...I don't think many CSers have done time sleeping and living in void decks, and those that have would probably not want to talk about it.

Actually you can do some research and find out more - apparently a LOT of adventures have happend through the years in HDB and somehow or another involves void decks.

This kind one needs a lot of leg-work and manhours - cannot siam.

nothing wrong with this, i feel, homework or what, this is what clubsnap is for, sharing of information

it doesn't always have to be photography

unfortunately, there is almost always nothing happening in my block
except for the time when i snuck out of home at pri 2 to play computer games with a friend living nearby, left my school bag at the void deck (i guess this is the only part where it is involved).. and thought it got stolen when i got back. then i went back home to worry and MY MOM HAD MY SCHOOLBAG and.. well you know what happens after that :(

I'm sorry but I fail to see what's so funny.

I am not twisting anybody's arm to volunteer their personal stories. Likewise, I am not out to make any money with my project, in fact, I am paying out of my own pocket for a project that I feel will benefit the community and society that I live in.

If you feel that you are being exploited by being asked to share your personal stories then by all means keep it to yourself. There really is no need for such cynical and unconstructive comments - shame on you :thumbsd:

Meanwhile, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Thank you.

Hey,

keep cool, check your pm :)

What shame?

What shame?

I personally do not care for mindless pointless comments.

The TS simply asked for contributions of personal anecdotes and not for anything else.

I see nothing wrong in helping out a fellow member and making snide or derisive comments certainly doesn't help improve or better anything in here.

I do hope I have made myself very clear.

Thank you.

When I was about primary school level, my Mum would always bring me to the void deck and cycle.

So on this particular evening, I went cycling, at the void deck opposite my block. Then suddenly there was a very very loud thud. Then 10m away from me, I realized a guy fell from one of the unit above to the ground groaning in pain. Too shocked, my mum quickly steer my direction away and we went back home. Ever since then I don't like walking at void deck, just in case I hear a loud THUD again.

Yes that sound which echo through the void deck.. Is eerie.

Status
Not open for further replies.