Vivian Maier - Her Discovered Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

welspain

Mar 29, 2009
PROFILE+PICTURE+2.jpg

Vivian Maier 1926-2009

This was created in dedication to the photographer Vivian Maier, a street photographer from the 1950s - 1970s. Vivian's work was discovered at an auction here in Chicago where she lived for 50 years but was originally a native to France. Her discovered work includes over 40,000 mostly medium format negatives and 1000 rolls of undeveloped film. Born February 1, 1926 and passed away on Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

4003302872_55d67dbc87.jpg

Vivian Maier Website

RFF Discussion

Flickr Disccusion

Thats one real big pile of flim... :D

I saw some great stuff but beats me why one would shoot thousands of rollfilm and not have them developed.

well, I think she is very ahead of her time and seeing her work put many 35mm shooters here ashame let alone the medium format shooters.

Last edited:
I saw some great stuff but beats me why one would shoot thousands of rollfilm and not have them developed.

Think she prefer to spend the $$$ buying films rather than developing them...

she already know what she has captured.....previsualization;)

Good speculation guys, lol .. but honestly. It does not make sense, does it? It's not like they made it up to add to the story, one can see that these films are indeed the older ones.

But if films are stored for too long without being developed, they are likely as wasted as an film that is passed due date.

because it takes a lot more time to develop film.

Many photographers in this period developed/printed their own negatives themselves.

She probably enjoyed the process more than the finished products.

Interesting story. :D
I do have a couple of rolls of 120, 35mm and 4x5 that I had shot for my projects/jobs but they are usually the rolls I kept as "insurance", just in-case the lab "screw up or my exposure is not too accurate and I need to "push" or "pull" the other roll. Once the rolls that was send to the lab was confirm good, I usually put those "insurance" rolls aside and usually forgotten after quite some time.
BTW, The story on Vivian is not complete.... did someone went ahead to process the films?
Though they are expired, there are still images that can be salvage from it. It will be like an archaeology dig. :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.