Vitacon 988

zsbreaker

Nov 22, 2011
Hello to all.
Recently I find an old flash - VITACON 988.
Because I dont possess any flash for Canon 450D (just starting with my new hobby) this is fine product for now.
I put it on camera and woaaaaoow
It is much better then that flash in my 450D, and powerfull.

The question is now, how to make adjustments on that old flash?
There is on the back side some slides, glides, with scales, but there is nothing that I can understand.

Can I control power factor of it ?

On the Internet I search for a week for some kind of manual or forum thread for this model, but no success.
Maybe here omeone have some info about my new discovery

Regards
Zivko

From the photo that I found in the internet on the Vitacon 988A...

since the Vitacon 988 didn't had TTL capability and is a fully manual lens, the following needed to be set manually.

1) The top row which show ASA DIN is the ISO setting, you need to match this with the ISO of your camera to get a correct exposure.
2) F/stop slider is for you to set your flash. It must match the f/stop of your lens.
3) Feet slider is for you to set the distance of yourself from your subject.
4) The last switch is for you to set the flash according to your lens zoom range

PS. I have not use that flash before so I am not sure if what I have said is correct. And by the way, I have absolutely no idea what the slider switch in the front do.

i was more interested about power factor of this flash.

can I have MAX and MIN of power with all that slides on the back?

or if I need to make some DIY modification, can anybody tell me how and what to do ?

thanks for your answers!!!!

from the design, features of this flash, seem to be make for pre electronic film camera, it might have very high trigger voltage, I will not waste time and take the risk to use this flash on modern day DSLR, it might fried the camera's circuit board.

my advice, dump this flash and get a modern flash.

can anyone please help me with info about dismantle my flash:

vitacon988.jpg

can anyone please help me with info about dismantle my flash:

It's using clipped-together plastic. You would need to wedge a screwdriver in-between the panels.

Why on earth are you trying to do this...?

to put samo variable resistor on the place od photo sensor, so I can control power output, lets say 1/64 of max. and getting speed of around 1/30.000 seconds.

enough ?

to put samo variable resistor on the place od photo sensor, so I can control power output, lets say 1/64 of max. and getting speed of around 1/30.000 seconds.

enough ?

You're going to put a varistor in series with the capacitors of the flash circuitry?