vita tra fiori (life amongst flowers)

BraveAll

Apr 26, 2007
CIMG0807edited24mar10.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Critique sought in the area of composition and choice of subject.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
This photo is to allow the viewer to appreciate the wonders and beauty of nature at the level which is normally overlooked by most people. To highlight the possibility of quality pictures with a PnS camera :).

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This photo was taken in the spring of 2009 at Parco Nord in Milan. The days were getting longer, brighter and sunnier and the whole park was bursting with life. There were carpets of small flowers that were inconspicuous unless one took the time and effort to admire them on bended knees. It was fantastic that the bee was engrossed in its life that I could get close enough to take the photo.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I liked the colour contrast of the yellow of the flowers against the green of the grass and the black form of the bee. The natural layout of the flowers and grass looked pleasing, but I am not sure if the composition and cropping is pleasing too.

5.post processing
Using MS office picture manager to perform cropping as well as increase brightness and contrast to compensate for small aperture and high shutter speed.

Equipment and settings:
Casio EX-Z9
Focal length : 6.2mm
F-number: F/5.6
Exposure time: 1/500sec
Metering mode: Pattern
Exposure compensation: 0 step

The usual trick of any or many pictures is...when less is more. It is especially true for extreme closeup / macro photography of small item / insect / flowers. This condition is even more stringent when depth of field is very shallow.

Sharp rendition of the subject is of utmost important, when using P n S compact camera, try to understand the nearest focusing distance and also experiment with the widest and the tele focusing range of your camera, compare results.

Practice first by shooting small items like...a ladies watch, a ring, or a screw or bolt and nut.