Visiting Vietnam

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekh

Sep 6, 2004
As this is the rainy season, do u think it is a good time to visit Ho Chi Minh city now?
Does it rain the whole day?
Alternatively I can visit the nearby Mui Ne Beach is is supposed to be a desert area with few rianfall.

Or how about going up to Hanoi and Halong Bay in the north? Wat would u propose for a 4 day trip? Should I just concentrate on Hanoi? Or should I spend 2 days and 1 nite in Halong Bay on a boat? Any photo tips on the bay?

Actually wanted Danang but no flights available during my 4 days travel window.

HCM is a boring boring place..

i would head to hanoi instead,the 2 day 1 nite halong trip will be just nice..

HCMC not that boring lah, got city life, roadside cafe, french architecture, church, war museum, river cruise, millions of motorcycles, but of course Hanoi has better natural scenary...

I have been hanoi + halong bay 2 mths ago.
It was amazing trip whereby good food, good people, unique culture and lovely scenary.

Hanoi is to be said less busier than HCM.
If you keen on photography, Hanoi will be a good place to shoot.

as for halong bay, i spent my night on boat, kind of different experience. Worth a try!

Hi weekh, hope u dun mind me ride on ur thread.

Same as u i needed some info for travelling to vietnam.

Below are some of my questions:
1.) Is it a good time to travel to Vietnam around late Oct to early Nov?
2.) Is travelling from Ho Chi Ming to Hanoi easy?
3.) Any recommendations for shooting photos? (landscape + culture + lifestyle potraiture)

For the time-being oni 3 questions..'cos not much information on hand..

Thanks in advance! :)

Managed to book the flight to Danang. :)

Any travel and photo tips?

Nice pics!

I'm planning to stay in Hoi An. Any recommendation for accomodations?

Should I just spend all my 3 full days in Hoi An or give sometime to visit Danang and Hue?

What equipment did u use?

For sure I'll bring my LX1 as a backup camera. Not sure about the main camera.

Toying around the idea of just a Sony R1 or a DSLR.

DSLR will be 1Ds with mix and match among these lenses: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 35L, 50 f1.4, 135L. Headache....

Hoi an is only a small town,i think 3 day will be more than enough.

get a hotel in the centre of the ancient "shopping" town so that it is easier to bring ur shopping bags back.

there is a 5am "my son" bus tour for a few USD but admission is not included.

FYI, my son is the angkor wat equivalent.

weekh said:
Nice pics!

Should I just spend all my 3 full days in Hoi An or give sometime to visit Danang and Hue?

DSLR will be 1Ds with mix and match among these lenses: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 35L, 50 f1.4, 135L. Headache....

You can give Danang a miss though, its more of a "new" vietnamese city somewhat like HCMC but smaller. Hoi An is a nice place to chill out especially for backpackers and they sell lotsa bags at very cheap prices. If you have time, you can visit the local tailor in Hoi An and have a full suit made to tailor. Marble Mountain and China beach are nearby, rental of a motorbike is possible if you dare to ride against the flow of traffic to these 2 places. Nothing much in Hue except the "forbidden city" version of Vietnam's old dynasty, since its the rainy season now, you may not get to see much in Hue. Do note that rain is more frequent and heavier in the central part of Vietnam......enjoy!!:sweatsm:

maestrolik said:
Nothing much in Hue except the "forbidden city" version of Vietnam's old dynasty, since its the rainy season now, you may not get to see much in Hue. Do note that rain is more frequent and heavier in the central part of Vietnam......enjoy!!:sweatsm:

Rainy season???!!! :bigeyes: Jialat liao!
Thought it is now the dry season in central vietnam.

well it actually depends on your luck. If it rained, it'll continue for days. If its hot, given that its summer now the temperature will be sweltering. Wen i was in sapa months back the weather was nice up in the mountains sunshine all around and I ended with beatiful photos.It turned for the worse the moment i left and rained for the new few days. Saw some photos of CSer's who came after me and the whole place looked really muddy. Vietnam has very weird weather, have not been able to figure that part out yet:sweat:

Mine was a 2-week budget backpacking trip from Saigon to Hue & back. My guesthouse was US$7, decent, but not sure if its classified as "recommended" since there're lots of various guesthouses for you to try.

I'm in agreement with maestrolik. Didn't stop at Danang, but yeah, as mentioned, looks like some modern "city" which I would probably miss. Hue, too is rather "modern" except for for the "Forbidden City". My 2 weeks (early July) was sweltering hot.

Was "travelling light", so I was only with my 10D w/ a Sigma 18-125.
Rest of my pics at http://www.roving-light.com/gallery/vietnam/

weekh said:
Nice pics!

Rain in the southern part is more or less like Spore, come fast, go fast
Northern part, yes, more jialat but this is not the worst time of the year, worst is ard chinese new year. And it can be cold in northern part (fyi, for the uninitiated, northern and southern part of vn, weather is totally diff, i would say northern has almost 4 seasons while southern more or less like spore: dry n rainny season)
Make sure u r not in the middle of a rice field without any raincoat, umbrella, etc :)

If it rains, yes, it wud be pretty dirty :)

what to do if suddenly wander off and then cialat : Hong stuck in th e middle of mine fileds ! Visiting Vietnam...

NS training help ahh?!!!:bsmilie: :dunno: :think:

Just got back from HoiAn.
Rained on the first day morning. Weather was kind of cloudly with passing showers everyday.

No wonderful sun rise or sun set or golden lights....

Kenna air sick upon arrival...
Fall sick on my last day and slept in my hotel for the whole day until my flight in the evening....

Glad that I travelled light with just a Sony R1 and Panasonic LX1. Using the R1 all the time and LX1 was never used.

Wanna visit Vietnam again! maybe later this year or early next year.

With just 4 days, would u suggest HCM or Hanoi? With such a short time, I'm don't wanna waste too much time travelling within the country from place to place.

wah lao, sick for 2 days, "No wonderful sun rise or sun set or golden lights", yet got so many impressive images!
That green green grass looks overly green though...

So, Hoi An good recommendation?

weekh said:
Just got back from HoiAn.
Rained on the first day morning. Weather was kind of cloudly with passing showers everyday.

No wonderful sun rise or sun set or golden lights....

Kenna air sick upon arrival...
Fall sick on my last day and slept in my hotel for the whole day until my flight in the evening....

Glad that I travelled light with just a Sony R1 and Panasonic LX1. Using the R1 all the time and LX1 was never used.

Hoi An pretty cheap place. Silkair cost less than $250 including tax. Hotel can be as cheap as US$8. Food is also cheap. Travel by bus to My Son is just US$3... The backpack is super cheap! US$5 for a regular size North Face / Lowe backpack. A 50+15L NorthFace haversack cost just US$12!

The town is good for people and street photography.

but must choose the right time lah.. for me the weather is cloudy and rains almost everyday... couldn't capture some types of pictures which I have in mind and playing with lights and shadows....

weekh said:
104.jpg

wah... these girls are courting certain death. one wrong move and that's it. :bigeyes:

anyway, thanks for sharing the pictures. they are lovely. i've just came back from Cambodia and i'm itching to go to that region again.

people have been talking about Hanoi. looks like it's gonna be my next place to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.