Visiting Taiwan in Jan 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andretan

Apr 19, 2002
AMK (near YCK)
www.flickr.com
Hi guys,

I'm planning for a 5 day trip to Taiwan in early Jan 2010... something like start on a Wed, and end on a Tues.

Attractions that I'm thinking of visiting:
-Sun Moon Lake...
-Taipei 101
-any other recommendations? Esp for scenic

Attractions I want to avoid:
-tourist traps area (all those souvenir thingy)

Any travel agency to recommend? Or free and easy would be recommended?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi guys,

I'm planning for a 5 day trip to Taiwan in early Jan 2010... something like start on a Wed, and end on a Tues.

Attractions that I'm thinking of visiting:
-Sun Moon Lake...
-Taipei 101
-any other recommendations? Esp for scenic

Attractions I want to avoid:
-tourist traps area (all those souvenir thingy)

Any travel agency to recommend? Or free and easy would be recommended?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks :)
You might want to try 南和 travel agency. However, most of the packages will definitely have those tourist stops, at least its the case for most reputable travel agencies.

For the trip to Sun Moon Lake, hopefully it ain't too foggy for ya during January. I just came back from Taiwan and it was too foggy to see anything from 文武庙 which is located at 日月潭.

You might want to try 南和 travel agency. However, most of the packages will definitely have those tourist stops, at least its the case for most reputable travel agencies.

For the trip to Sun Moon Lake, hopefully it ain't too foggy for ya during January. I just came back from Taiwan and it was too foggy to see anything from 文武庙 which is located at 日月潭.

After much research and consideration, I think I'll go on free and easy... :)

Hope more people can contribute to this thread too! :D

Found some blogs with very detailed itineraries:

:)

Taipei is a very easy city to travel around in. I visited there myself with a friend in 2005 July, and we planned everything ourselves. Saved alot that way, but that's probably because we only visited the night markets, the memorials and shrines, Taipei101, and also an excursion to Danshui. I wanted very much to visit the National Palace Museum but it was half-closed at that time. The one-day tourist MRT pass is fantastically worth it (unlimited rides) and we used it to travel to all the destinations we listed above except to the Matyrs Shrine and the Clothing Wholesale Market, both of which we took taxis to reach.

No one there seems to think we are tourists, and in fact on the taxi ride to Matyrs Shrine the driver actually mistook us as local army boys going there to do our guard duty! :D

Last edited:
Taipei is a very easy city to travel around in. I visited there myself with a friend in 2005 July, and we planned everything ourselves. Saved alot that way, but that's probably because we only visited the night markets, the memorials and shrines, Taipei101, and also an excursion to Danshui. I wanted very much to visit the National Palace Museum but it was half-closed at that time. The one-day tourist MRT pass is fantastically worth it (unlimited rides) and we used it to travel to all the destinations we listed above except to the Matyrs Shrine and the Clothing Wholesale Market, both of which we took taxis to reach.

No one there seems to think we are tourists, and in fact on the taxi ride to Matyrs Shrine the driver actually mistook us as local army boys going there to do our guard duty! :D

Can easily walk from the MRT stations to those locations. ;)

Also, refer to 高铁 recommendation for places of interest at its various stations. If possible, do call up and ask. :)

i need help...im going in march on a 10 days free and easy, more of a backpack...trying to figure out on the routes.

Firstly, is Yilan counties within Hualien or beside Hualien?

My iti as below

Day 1(reached at evening)
Tapei(shihlin nite market)

Day 2
1) Ye liu => Jiu Fen => Yilan
or
2) Beitou hot spring => Join 4hrs tour to northeast coast scenic area and jiufen =>shih fen
(Is northeast coast scenic area worth to go?)

Day 3
1) Within Yilan Wushih Harbour for sunrise => Beiguan Park => Suao Port => Wufon Waterfall => Lavender farm =>travel to Hualien

or

2) Yeliu(in the morning) then travel down to Yilan =>(Within Yilan) Suao Port => Wufon Waterfall => Lavender farm =>travel to Hualien

Day 4

Hualien => Taroko Park => Hualien Wharf => move to Taichung

Day 5

Tai Chung => Sun Moon lake

I am rather stuck at day 5 unless i get the above confirmed...is it crazy to move in such ways? basically i have never visited taiwan before..so im not realli familiar as to judge the distance...can anyone help to see if its too rush or infeasible?

some questions is during day 2, the 2 choice, which shld i go for.
the next question is, am i moving the right direction? yilan to hua lien to taichung sun moon lake?

appreciate help...thanks

Last edited:
i need help...im going in march on a 10 days free and easy, more of a backpack...trying to figure out on the routes.

Firstly, is Yilan counties within Hualien or beside Hualien?

My iti as below

Day 1(reached at evening)
Tapei(shihlin nite market)

Day 2
1) Ye liu => Jiu Fen => Yilan
or
2) Beitou hot spring => Join 4hrs tour to northeast coast scenic area and jiufen =>shih fen
(Is northeast coast scenic area worth to go?)

Day 3
1) Within Yilan Wushih Harbour for sunrise => Beiguan Park => Suao Port => Wufon Waterfall => Lavender farm =>travel to Hualien

or

2) Yeliu(in the morning) then travel down to Yilan =>(Within Yilan) Suao Port => Wufon Waterfall => Lavender farm =>travel to Hualien

Day 4

Hualien => Taroko Park => Hualien Wharf => move to Taichung

Day 5

Tai Chung => Sun Moon lake

I am rather stuck at day 5 unless i get the above confirmed...is it crazy to move in such ways? basically i have never visited taiwan before..so im not realli familiar as to judge the distance...can anyone help to see if its too rush or infeasible?

some questions is during day 2, the 2 choice, which shld i go for.
the next question is, am i moving the right direction? yilan to hua lien to taichung sun moon lake?

appreciate help...thanks

Perhaps you might want to check out the travel route? Because for most of the places you've listed, I believe you might need dedicated transport to those locations.

yah bro..i tried googling, its not easy..esp the part from hua lien to sun moon lake....

Status
Not open for further replies.