Visiting NZ during winter

B-setting

Jul 16, 2004
Equator
hi guys,

i have a work trip to NZ in July and am thinking of extending a week there to tour.

i have always wanted to explore the South Island. However, it would be winter when I am there.

do you have any suggestion whether it be more fruitful for photography if i visit the North Island instead of the South Island during the winter season?

i am not sure if the South Island would be bleak and wet during the winter.

i wont be driving, but would be taking public transport.

would appreciate if you guys could give me some advice.

thnks in advance. :)

I have been to NZ south island in winter.

I don't think it is wet in winter, August. I thought usually winter is dry for most countries. I was very dry when I went there.

Never been to north island but I have been to South island twice. Loved the south ISland. No snow at ground level but with snow capped mountains. Best of both worlds.

thanks for the tips, dniwkh! appreciate it! :)

thanks for the tips, dniwkh! appreciate it! :)

Give me a buzz and I could recommend a few good places. I'm based in Auckland and will be heading down to Queenstown to attend a conference in July. I'm planning to take a photographic trip from Queenstown driving up to CHCH and from there, fly back to Auckland.

Last edited:
I stayed in North Island for a few years. Seriously it is quite hard to move around if you don't drive. The land scape is rather hilly. There aren't many public buses that go to the outskirt of the town. But if you intend to take photos around the city area it is walking distance. Do watch out for quiet area if you are carrying a DSLR especially around Karangahape Road. Winter is rather cold if it is peak. It is about 5 degrees.

Backpacking New Zealand | Backpackers NZ Bus Travel Pass 
Try this bus tour service, its really easy. I was there for working holiday n bagpacking. As without transports is a hassle. Took up their bus tour which is flexible, stop at the place u wan and u can stay there for more day if u like it and wait for the next bus to arrive. Really easy and fun and u meet different ppl.

ffshooter is not too wrong there. Get a rental car.

I was in the South Island in June years ago. The weather was very cold and at times wet. However, the landscape was spectacular. Here are some photos from that trip, Zenfolio | N.S. Ng | New Zealand

Last year I did a 24-day trip in the South Island. If you are a landscape photographer, the South Island is a must place to visit. As others have said, it is best to rent a car.

Have a good trip!

thanks all for the kind responses. appreciate all the tips. cheers! :)