Visa Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have friends who went tibet before... Tibet is always not easy as the chinese want to control tightly.

But it wont be so serious as to get into jail.

sometimes u cant get permit here does not mean u cant get it elsewhere... U just need to be resourceful...

We asked steangers also when overseas.. So what is the difference from forum? When we r given advice we need to discern whether it is workable or not, even from close friends

Need to vent!
If you are flying in to Chengdu, China and departing from New Delhi, going Tibet in between, how will you answer if they ask, how are you going to Delhi from Chengdu? Where is your air ticket?

1. Fly into Chengdu
2. Arrange with Chinese Travel agency to get into Tibet and back to Chengdu
3. I dont think there are "international" flights out of Tibet; only domestic flights
(Unless you cross the Himalayas by non-airborne means into Nepal, Bhutan etc... Beware of both the Chinese and Indian border guards; technically their border is observing a cease fire)
4. Your get the usual Visa from Spore Chinese Embassy. Your need only to tell them about your "official" business in Chengdu

For applying China visa you'll need a round trip ticket. See here. Refer to item (v) on how to obtain a visa notification issued by the "Tourism Administration of the Tibet Autonomous Region".

If this is not possible, one way is to enter via another city from a nearby country, say Bangkok. You get a round trip air ticket to Chengdu from Bangkok. When applying visa just tell them you'll be spending time in Bangkok for your holiday. Then just waste the return trip.

Huh, you phoned them?
In reality, you don't need the flight tix to get the visa. Totally nothing related to Tibet, India etc :)
Recent report by 2 applicants (goto last page 5) :
China : Visa

However, if u have a 1-way tix, you *may* have problem when u try to check-in, depending on the airline checkin staff....
refer to my "encounter" :
Roving Random Ramblings: Onward Travel

Need to vent!

Chinese Embassy gotta be one of my most hated places in Singapore. Their attitude is really sucky!

Anyway, need some advice from the savvy travellers here.

If you are flying in to Chengdu, China and departing from New Delhi, going Tibet in between, how will you answer if they ask, how are you going to Delhi from Chengdu? Where is your air ticket?

The thing is, you cannot let them know that you are going to Tibet else, you'll never get your Visa approved.

If you are holding a Singaporean passport, there is NO NEED to show your air tickets or hotel bookings or whatsoever. I just went in July. I was going to do 24 days, including 11 days in TAR. Everything is DIY as TS is planning. Yes, years ago, when you apply for the Chinese Visa, you will need to produce a copy of your air tickets, a copy of your letter of invitation by a friend from China or a copy of your hotel accommodation. I went to the Visa Application Center with all these because that was the case for me 3 years ago. I printed out the form from the website and went to the center with copies of my air ticket and hotel booking. I had only the hostel booking for my first day in China, and I listed down only Chengdu and Jiuzhaigou in the places I want to visit column, leaving out Tibet totally. When I handed in my application form, the person in charge just took the application form and returned everything else to me. She said those are not needed anymore. She did not even bother to look at what I printed out. At no point in time, during my entire trip, was I asked to show my return air tickets. It is only when I was about to start on the Tibet leg, then was I asked for my passport, where they took down my visa details. When you are in TAR, you will be frequently stopped and asked for your passport, but nobody ever questioned me.

For application of Chinese Visa, check out: Chinese Visa Application Service Center
It is no longer being done at the Chinese Embassy, but at the Royal Brothers Building at Raffles Place. Apply for your Chinese Visa, stating your date of entry and date of departure. You can get a 30 day visa or a 60 day visa. Cost SDG $50, inclusive of service fee. You can get it back 3 days later. Once you collect your passport with the visa, do a color scan of the visa and the page of your passport with all your details and email it to the travel agency handling your Tibetan tour.

Feel free to email me if you have more questions: wx49@hotmail.com

Last edited:
With all the recent news of Tibetan monks' self-immolation, China may have less tolerance of foreigners entering Tibet sneakily. :nono:
Just follow law.

I forgot to add that, if you will be doing the non-TAR regions like Sichuan and Gansu province, do check with the locals before you head out to the next destination. Because, like the others said, there will be some restrictions due to the current protests by monks. Places like Xiahe may be out of bounds to foreigners and you will be requested to get off the bus and to take a bus back to where you come from, as you approach the city. The situation is ever changing, so in order you do not waste your timing journeying or being stuck someone, just check with the locals on the situation. Hostels staff are usually happy to help you call hostels or hotels in the next town to check out the situation.

Just a little insight. "He" is a "she". "She" asked for kakis to Tibet in an earlier thread.

To TS: you are swimming against the current on this one if you try to diy from Singapore. Try going to a travel agent this time.

China visa, Chinese visa, China travel documents, China tourist visa, China Business Visa, China Student Visa, China Work Visa, China visa information

But I am sure you already know the above.

Sorry for the late reply. Had to rush off the other day after just 1 reply.

Hey, thanks for the info. Appreciate it. And yes, i already know the above. :)

Don't think they would ask you about your flight ticket, but even if they did, can't you just say you haven't got it yet. I mean, why would you buy your ticket before you get a visa ?

Exactly. I sorta gave her that answer and she rolled her eyes and muttered something to herself.

For applying China visa you'll need a round trip ticket. See here. Refer to item (v) on how to obtain a visa notification issued by the "Tourism Administration of the Tibet Autonomous Region".

If this is not possible, one way is to enter via another city from a nearby country, say Bangkok. You get a round trip air ticket to Chengdu from Bangkok. When applying visa just tell them you'll be spending time in Bangkok for your holiday. Then just waste the return trip.

I gave them what is needed but they asked for a copy of my flight ticket from Chengdu to Delhi which i'm not able to produce.

Huh, you phoned them?
In reality, you don't need the flight tix to get the visa. Totally nothing related to Tibet, India etc :)
Recent report by 2 applicants (goto last page 5) :
China : Visa

However, if u have a 1-way tix, you *may* have problem when u try to check-in, depending on the airline checkin staff....
refer to my "encounter" :
Roving Random Ramblings: Onward Travel

Unfortunately, i'm just a PR here, so a copy of air ticket is a must.

I was there at the centre when i was questioned.

If you are holding a Singaporean passport, there is NO NEED to show your air tickets or hotel bookings or whatsoever. I just went in July. I was going to do 24 days, including 11 days in TAR. Everything is DIY as TS is planning. Yes, years ago, when you apply for the Chinese Visa, you will need to produce a copy of your air tickets, a copy of your letter of invitation by a friend from China or a copy of your hotel accommodation. I went to the Visa Application Center with all these because that was the case for me 3 years ago. I printed out the form from the website and went to the center with copies of my air ticket and hotel booking. I had only the hostel booking for my first day in China, and I listed down only Chengdu and Jiuzhaigou in the places I want to visit column, leaving out Tibet totally. When I handed in my application form, the person in charge just took the application form and returned everything else to me. She said those are not needed anymore. She did not even bother to look at what I printed out. At no point in time, during my entire trip, was I asked to show my return air tickets. It is only when I was about to start on the Tibet leg, then was I asked for my passport, where they took down my visa details. When you are in TAR, you will be frequently stopped and asked for your passport, but nobody ever questioned me.

For application of Chinese Visa, check out: Chinese Visa Application Service Center
It is no longer being done at the Chinese Embassy, but at the Royal Brothers Building at Raffles Place. Apply for your Chinese Visa, stating your date of entry and date of departure. You can get a 30 day visa or a 60 day visa. Cost SDG $50, inclusive of service fee. You can get it back 3 days later. Once you collect your passport with the visa, do a color scan of the visa and the page of your passport with all your details and email it to the travel agency handling your Tibetan tour.

Feel free to email me if you have more questions: wx49@hotmail.com

I'm just a PR here, hence a copy of air ticket and ID are a must.

Whatever it is, i'll know my outcome tomorrow when i collect it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I gave them what is needed but they asked for a copy of my flight ticket from Chengdu to Delhi which i'm not able to produce.

Hmm are you talking about obtaining proper permit from TAR or the 2nd option? If your round trip ticket is from Bangkok to Chengdu then Delhi is no longer in the picture. If you have proper permit from TAR to visit tibet, not sure if you could just tell them you're exiting tibet and going to India by land?

I forgot to add that, if you will be doing the non-TAR regions like Sichuan and Gansu province, do check with the locals before you head out to the next destination. Because, like the others said, there will be some restrictions due to the current protests by monks. Places like Xiahe may be out of bounds to foreigners and you will be requested to get off the bus and to take a bus back to where you come from, as you approach the city. The situation is ever changing, so in order you do not waste your timing journeying or being stuck someone, just check with the locals on the situation. Hostels staff are usually happy to help you call hostels or hotels in the next town to check out the situation.

I'll be heading to EBC, then Kathmandu, if visa is approved that is. So, i should still be quite 'safe' according to my 'local' agent there. :)

what is nationality? you could stated the places may be visit on the form. Is this ur first time apply for China visa?

Nope. I've applied for it a couple of times in fact. The only difference is for the few times i applied, it was Sg - Shanghai - Sg or Sg - Kunming - Sg and not Sg - Chengdu then Delhi - Sg. Hee!

Hmm are you talking about obtaining proper permit from TAR or the 2nd option? If your round trip ticket is from Bangkok to Chengdu then Delhi is no longer in the picture. If you have proper permit from TAR to visit tibet, not sure if you could just tell them you're exiting tibet and going to India by land?

Oh no.. getting proper permit from TAR would be done by my agency. I just need to apply for the Chinese visa myself.

And nope, your agency can't apply TAR permit for you until you give them your Chinese visa. So, there's no way i can tell them that i'd be exiting from Tibet, then Kathmandu and finally, onto Delhi.

Last edited:
Anyway...

Thanks for all your effort. Appreciate it!

Approved!!:cheergal:

Status
Not open for further replies.