Virus in digital camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoelse

Oct 17, 2003
Humm... was thinking about this.

There are programmable firmware on these thing and if someone can right a stupid program to corrupt the firmware, does that mean it might happened? :think:
Someone can write a program, spread on net, install itself on people's peecee and start scanning on program use for particular dcam and once ppl transfer file it corrupt the firmware and make it fail? Or worth, corrupt the datacard?

We have seen this on Palm and PDA, now we have anti-virus on PDA...
dcam :think:

I think it is possible but unlikely. DSLRs are not as ubiquitous as PCs an PDAs. If I am a virus writer, I will want my virus to have the widest impact. I just wont bother. Just imagine, Apple Macs dont have the kind of virus problem we PC users have. That's because there just aren't that many Macs. If Macs become as popular as PCs , you see virus on Macs too.

Ansel said:
I think it is possible but unlikely. DSLRs are not as ubiquitous as PCs an PDAs. If I am a virus writer, I will want my virus to have the widest impact. I just wont bother. Just imagine, Apple Macs dont have the kind of virus problem we PC users have. That's because there just aren't that many Macs. If Macs become as popular as PCs , you see virus on Macs too.

Mac owns 20% ;) There are mac virus too but lesser.
One way is that windows itself inheritate weaknesses that make virus easy to attack. If a burger write something and start infecting on dcam, he can make removal to make $$$ even 2% of market share is lotsa $$ in the IT world.

whoelse said:
Humm... was thinking about this.

There are programmable firmware on these thing and if someone can right a stupid program to corrupt the firmware, does that mean it might happened? :think:
Someone can write a program, spread on net, install itself on people's peecee and start scanning on program use for particular dcam and once ppl transfer file it corrupt the firmware and make it fail? Or worth, corrupt the datacard?

We have seen this on Palm and PDA, now we have anti-virus on PDA...
dcam :think:

hmm... may not :nono: be so easy,

1. pda is very commonly used and platform is..well palm or ppc. So it is easier to spread and makes for sense for ppl to write virus. Eg, u hear more of virus in windows than in unix/linux as the 'mass' of users are with windows. For dc, there r so many makes and brands it may not be effective to write virus to target each make/brand which may uses different platform or its configuration and codes are different.

2. Can u write to firmwhere by just doing a sync? The sync may perform just enough function to transfer picture or set configurations but may not have the ability to write to firmware.

3. Corrupt datacard? If i am virus writer i will probably corrupt people's harddisk than the card because what are the chances of spreading and the infect the pc and then just nice the pc has a datacard slotted into it. Furthermore the damage is minute compared with corrupting the whole hard disk. :blah: What can the virus do to the datacard? Delete everything or replicate in it. It is probably more efficient to spread thru network than thru datacard nowadays.

Hee hee, there are more things to worry about your dc,
1. It got loss,
2. It got stolen
3. It drop on the floor
4. It went for a swim
5. Battery run flat..... etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.