VIP Backpackers card ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hello all,

Does anyone have and have used a VIP Backpackers card :dunno:

I was thinking of getting one, but I would like to hear from someone that has one just how much it was of benefit.

Any comment on it, or, can you suggest an alternative :think:

We, (Coral and I) are going to do China backpacking style and therefore any club benefits would be good.

Thanks in advance :)

just remember they are most likely going to rob u blind their way!

just remember they are most likely going to rob u blind their way!

Hi Nisa,

Yes, I was wondering about that possability.

Long time no see, how are you ?

Take care and have fun,

Peter :)

errr sorrie but why do china backpacking style?
cause the last time i went up and researched, i found that the cost savings weren't really much.

errr sorrie but why do china backpacking style?
cause the last time i went up and researched, i found that the cost savings weren't really much.

Hi tribal.snake,

How would you suggest to do it ?

My reasoning is that neither Coral or I understand or speak Chinese.

We have our own places we want to see and therefore don't want to take a package tour.

Simply landing there (say, Shanghai) and finding somewhere to stay and then finding places we want to see,
will be a lot easier by starting from a Hostel (where we can get guidance and sleep) not far from the airport.

Price wise (sleeping/showering/etc.) from what I have researched on the net is far less than hotels.

This is just my view and I am open to comment.

Cheers :)

Hi Peter,

May I suggest that you check the number of Hostels listed in the VIP Backpackers network before signing up for its memerbship. This is because I don't recall VIP backpackers having a network in China (but I might be wrong cos my membership was almost 10 years ago).

Do search on the net on the possible places to stay and compare them with your list above. If there are many hostels readily available in China, you are better off without the membership.

hello. sorrie, didn't know about the language barrier bit. but this will prove to be quite a stumbling block imo. sorrie to say but i had quite a bit of friends who had the same problem and faced many difficulities while there, and some even got con.

i would suggest u should hire a guide of sorts, to help you get around. though in places such as guangzhou and shanghai, the english is getting better but it still feels very warp. if u could get a trusted guide, well he/she can settle much things for you. of course the cost would be slightly higher.

there are also many hotels around, some with very cheap pricing. am not sure about the hostels but i remembered seeing some in shanghai and beijing. not sure about the rest.

I dont recall VIP Backpacker card program when I was traveling in China last time. Usually what you will get from airport (in China) is a Hotel Membership card. Those cards are useful for information on where to stay. They will contain a list of "recommended hotels"

My suggestion will be to
- plan your route before hand since you already know where you want to visit.

- find out which hotels are available in that region and print out those their address in small sheets of papers in case you need them (cab, asking direction around).

- try to get a Chinese friend whom you know to bring you around because its really hard not to know, understand, speak Chinese when moving around in China *even in Shanghai*.

- to move around, there are cab and trains and bus/coaches (eg Shanghai to Zhouzhuang) depending where you want to go. Avoid taking private transport by all means. Find out the train station, public bus/coach locations.

- for food, always check out the menus before stepping into the shop. And DO NOT follow people on the street who are soliciting for customers. Those are confirmed "choppers" :bsmilie: I have heard and known too many cases of people being pulled from street into a drinking place and when the bill comes, the jaws drop to the center of the earth.

- check out information on the Net before going to any place.

For budget hotel, try http://www.motel168.com/english/index.htm (http://www.motel168.com/ - more informative). Its not too expensive (around 250-300+ rmb?) and in some cities (like Shanghai) even provide you with internet broadband access connectivity.

Last but not least, bring a portable storage device (or lots of CF/SD cards), because there are tons of people, things, places to shoot everywhere in China. :angel:

Hello swiftdragon, tribal.snake and Jason Ho,

I am gratefull for your information and suggestions.

We will be acting with all your advice when there.

I can never get too much information and so any further advise is always welcome.

The VIP card is out (from my searching) by the way.

Thanks again,

Peter.

Oh, Jason Ho,

As you suggested with the storage device, I have an 80GB one and also a few 1GB, 2GB and 4GB cards.

One can never have enough :bsmilie:

P.S. You will hear my cries from there if both cameras we are taking die :bsmilie:

Hi Peter,

Make sure you and Coral enjoy the well earned holiday.

Will be waiting for you in Sg.

Cheeris

Hi Peter,

Make sure you and Coral enjoy the well earned holiday.

Will be waiting for you in Sg.

Cheeris

Hi teerex,

We will be there come rain or snow :bsmilie:

I will let you know when as time gets closer.

Look forward to meeting you again and introducing Coral to you and your girls.

Hi teerex,

We will be there come rain or snow :bsmilie:

I will let you know when as time gets closer.

Look forward to meeting you again and introducing Coral to you and your girls.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.