Vintage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gapman

May 27, 2006
hi guys, pls comment and advise on this one. thanks!:)
DSCF2859.JPG
[/IMG]

Hi gapman!

Probably the thing in this shot that gets me excited about is the reflections on the glass bottle. This gives it a lustre, or 'shiny' quality to it, which is a good way to take pictures of glass. If you have a softbox, you can have more control over how the reflection will look like in the final picture. It also allows for cleaner reflections. (I can see part of your roof!)

The main focal point of your picture should be the words, which looks dull and uninteresting due to poor lighting. In addition, you can try to avoid such tight crops that break up the basic shape of a wine bottle. The background is also slightly distracting, as I can see a line cutting across the bottle.

hi pointblue,

thanks for taking time to view my pic, appreciate your kind comment and advice. just a little info on how this pic was taken. the bottle was actually shot lying down with only a table lamp for lighting. being new in photographyand trying out everything, i just make-do whatever i can within my bedroom. knowing nothing about reflections and lightings, hence my focus was on the sharpness of the words and texture on the label and not paying attention to other details.:) may i ask what is a softbox? thanks for your answer in advance.by the way, the line across the bottle is probably part of my bed!;)

the shot does not work at all for many reasons ...

you may want to observe how bottled products are presented in advertisement. take special notice on how the scene is setup and composed. after that, experiment with how light falls on the bottled product and gets reflected off different parts. for product shots involving reflective surface especially, every bit of reflection is treated as an element in the frame, just like a posed object, and you'll need to 'style' the reflection. after grasping the basics of setting up the scene and controlling light, you'll be able to enjoy experimentation.

hi eikin, thanks for your comments cuz this is best way for me to learn. really appreciate it! will pay attention to the details in future when taking shots like this. cheers!:D

gapman said:
hi eikin, thanks for your comments cuz this is best way for me to learn. really appreciate it! will pay attention to the details in future when taking shots like this. cheers!:D

no problem, i'm not an expert in still-life but i've tried dealing with glasses, i can tell you that reflective surfaces are most difficult to deal with ... i do not think there's value commenting on the current picture because you did mention your lack of knowledge with such subjects, what you can do first is to mimick what you see in adverts. it's easier to learn through work than words :)

Status
Not open for further replies.