Vintage meets Modern

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmuckerz

Nov 30, 2008
East Coast
Was at east coast park recently and decided to take some pictures.

Took some pictures of the sunset, and also some of the airplanes flying very low over head.
when i got home i was surfing the web and saw some pictures of vintage aircraft..

thought id have a try at getting the same effect as seen in the picture at the link:
http://www.gilgandra.nsw.gov.au/images/butler_plane_Toora_Aerodrome.jpg

planeplusbackgroundfinal2.jpg

The reason i didnt just use a picture of a plane, is because i wanted to give some measure of size, and although the plan is made smaller in the above image, i think its still better than just the plane alone, also the background is more interesting.

Process:
basically the image of the plane was cut out and super imposed onto the background, then a "hardlight" mixing feature on photoshop was used to make the plane look like it belonged there. The color levels were then changed to slightly more purple-pinkish, which i think also unifys the picture while giving it a vintage feel, and finally the contrast was upped to give the sky behind a over exposed feel.

Ok well i was trying to achieve the vintage look of the image at the link. (not sure if i can show that picture as the rules say only show one image..)

Any/all comments about the peice, composure, lighting anything would be nice :)

thanks alot
(sorry if i didnt make this too clear.. my first time putting a picture up for critique :sweatsm:)

how to comment on something like this? to judge it as a photograph or as a composite, because as composites go, the situation has to be unrealistic or nearly impossible to come about. although composites are common use in commercial photography, i'm sure photographers/digital artists try to make it as believable as their brief allows. however since this is not for commercial usage, giving excuses for it not looking like a realistic photograph will not be taken into consideration. hence....

i'm not sure there's any much more to say about the image other than the composition being dramatic than realistic. with such an intense backlit of an overly overexposed sun plus to capture a moving plane sharply the camera settings must be incredible. the visibility of the plane is as if there is a giangantic bounce card over it to light our side up so well, only it forgot the trees.

i don't have much care for composites personally, unless they are really well done ones. the only important thing is you'll want the main light to be exactly the same position as when you shot the plane. anything else and it doesn't stand up to intense scrutiny. if being dramatic is what you called for then it has worked for you here, there's people out there who demand and question lesser. cheers.

hmmm .... i like the sky in the background . :)

For "Vintage meets Modern" I miss the vintage part. Could be some fishermen or small boats in the water, or some wooden huts and other things. That would give the real contrast to the A380 you caught here.

wait 50 years...it will be vintage haha ...the craft looks modern lei...

hii first of all thank you for all replys!

Ok yup, i realise that its quite an unnrealistic situation.. if i could have i wouldve used a much wider angle lens and gotten both the ocean and the plane in view when the photo was taken..

but sadly i only have a zoom lens and a standard lens, neither of which would allow me to take both the ocean and plane in the same picture..

but yes i agree the situation is quite unnrealistic and will work on improving it, and making it more believeable next time around :)

And about the lighting, i think the plane and background were both taken from about the same angle, and therefore the light source is coming from behind the plane (aka the sky which is lit behind..)

thanks for the comment :)

wait 50 years...it will be vintage haha ...the craft looks modern lei...

haha who knows in 50 years the A380 might still be considered a reasonably modern aircraft :p. i mean how much bigger can u get :dunno:

although i think you understood the concept the wrong way..
it was supposed to be a merge of using the "vintage" look, with the very modern aircraft..
hence the title :bsmilie:

thank you for your comment! :angel:

wahh the plane is very close....

As a newbie myself, I think you have captured the sunset very well. I like the rays of the sun shining through the clouds. As far as I can see, the exposure is all right and I don't feel anything 'unrealistic' about the picture. In fact, if you had not mentioned it was a merged shot I wouldn't have known.

Cheers

wahh the plane is very close....

haha thats because its two pictures joined together :)
basically the picture of the plane was cropped and added to the sunset background ;)

As a newbie myself, I think you have captured the sunset very well. I like the rays of the sun shining through the clouds. As far as I can see, the exposure is all right and I don't feel anything 'unrealistic' about the picture. In fact, if you had not mentioned it was a merged shot I wouldn't have known.

Cheers

haha thank you, but although it may get passed you, the more experiences guys here would realise it straight away.. mhmm actually i do believe the background is slightly over exposed, the sky bit anyway.. but that was purposefully done :sweat:

thank you all for the comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.