Vintage look

attitudee02

Apr 12, 2010
Hi

Newbie here.

I want to know if it is possible to capture those vintage look/feel using our DSLR. Softer colour etc.

If you are using an olympus, chances are that your camera might have built in art filters to give some sort of effect to your images.

If not then your camera might have settings to alter shooting profile to decrease saturation/sharpness and that sort, but the effect is limited.

Its best to post-process your image to get the look you want.

hmm. post processing is quite tedious for a newbie like me. haha!

I want to know if it is possible to capture those vintage look/feel using our DSLR. Softer colour etc.

Your camera will capture what is there, based on exposure settings. To change the appearance of the image you can either use in-camera processing settings (a.k.a. Picture Styles) or post-processing software. It doesn't need to be Photoshop, there are other options available, cheaper and easier to handle.

I got friends who said my Dslr very pro....because it can shoot vintage style photo:bsmilie::sweat:

*I'll be worried if it produce out of cam vintage photos when it has no digital filters*:bsmilie:

i dont think my 550d comes with the in-camera processing setting because i cant seem to find it. haha!

i dont think my 550d comes with the in-camera processing setting because i cant seem to find it. haha!

My friend is using the 500D, he just download the "LOMO" effect from the Canon Utilities and to the Camera.

I've personally not try it, but I'm going to try it soon, will update you guys once I've downloaded it and transfer to my camera.

the 500D picture style lomo effect is not exactly the perfect lomo effect.
i think software pp is still required for better results.

the 500D picture style lomo effect is not exactly the perfect lomo effect.
i think software pp is still required for better results.

I agree with you. However, this lomo effect is just an additional value added feature to the camera

nowadays there's lots of filters/actions for photoshop that can help you to achieve your desired output all with a single (sometimes a few more) click of a button. do not get me wrong, they are not the best and proper way to edit a photo, but it gets the job done. Textured image, faded old photo image, cross-processed image, you name it you've got it. all you need to do, is google for the free actions!

Lightroom also has the same feature except they call it PRESETS over there.

So there ain't no excuse to not be able to produce such images, even if you are brand new to post processing.

if u want to learn how to achieve the effects manually.. well that's gonna take a much longer post and i don't think i will wanna venture into that haha

My friend is using the 500D, he just download the "LOMO" effect from the Canon Utilities and to the Camera.

I've personally not try it, but I'm going to try it soon, will update you guys once I've downloaded it and transfer to my camera.

hmm.. how do u do that? download the "lomo" effect from canon utilities?

u can download custom picture styles (google for it) and use EOS utility to import it to your cam.

by default, your cam already got landscape, portrait, neutral, faithful, monochrome (b/w) etc.

I believe there is a manual and a description on Canon website. Please read there.

You might want to try the free software called Photoscape. It is quite easy to use and can do some film simulations, as well as vintage old photo look. Not bad.

http://www.photoscape.org

thx people! will try to download it. i got photoscape but i hardly utilize it. HAHA!

U can use iPhoto.