Vintage Audio equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Hi all,

Was looking to clear the house during CNY and found some old vintage audio equipment, think they still work (but have not tested).

1. Technics SL-1300 turntable
2. Nakamichi 600 casette tape player
3. Technics SA-5550 FM/AM stereo receiver/amplifire (no sound but can still turn on)

Are they worth anything? I know most people won't bother with them but any 'collectors' know what they're worth? The Technics amp works, used it a few years back but no sound now, so probably got some leaky caps or something.

And Gong Xi Fa Chai to all CSers! :)

Bump :) ;)

No collectors value for those items.

1. Technics SL-1300 turntable - $20 - $30 if in good working condition
2. Nakamichi 600 casette tape player - $30-$50 if the heads are not worn out and works. $100 - $200 if it were a Dragon. :cool:
3. Technics SA-5550 FM/AM stereo receiver/amplifire (no sound but can still turn on) $10 mabbie

Try to add another $10 if the exterior looks shiny shiny and pristine. Minus $10 if it looks old.

Just guessing. It all depends on how much the potential buyer 'desires' said item/s.

CHEERS!

Hi all,

Was looking to clear the house during CNY and found some old vintage audio equipment, think they still work (but have not tested).

1. Technics SL-1300 turntable
2. Nakamichi 600 casette tape player
3. Technics SA-5550 FM/AM stereo receiver/amplifire (no sound but can still turn on)

Are they worth anything? I know most people won't bother with them but any 'collectors' know what they're worth? The Technics amp works, used it a few years back but no sound now, so probably got some leaky caps or something.

And Gong Xi Fa Chai to all CSers! :)
any pics of your Technics SL-1300 turntable?

Reminder: Please do not turn this into a buy & sell thread, as it si against the CS guidelines.

Thanks!
-Roy

No collectors value for those items.

1. Technics SL-1300 turntable - $20 - $30 if in good working condition
2. Nakamichi 600 casette tape player - $30-$50 if the heads are not worn out and works. $100 - $200 if it were a Dragon. :cool:
3. Technics SA-5550 FM/AM stereo receiver/amplifire (no sound but can still turn on) $10 mabbie

Try to add another $10 if the exterior looks shiny shiny and pristine. Minus $10 if it looks old.

Just guessing. It all depends on how much the potential buyer 'desires' said item/s.

CHEERS!

Gulp! Like that might as well advise my mum to keep the items! :confused:

Thx for the input

any pics of your Technics SL-1300 turntable?

Currently at mum's place in KL, actually will take a pic of them later using my k800i, hope 3.2MP is enough :)

Reminder: Please do not turn this into a buy & sell thread, as it si against the CS guidelines.

Thanks!
-Roy

No worries boss! Just trying to get a gauge of what I can do with these items... and they're all in KL, Malaysia right now..haha...

Actually, I'll give it a shot and see if any experts here on CS can help me. Among the stuff I 'found' was a pair of Tannoy CPA-5 speakers, 15 years old and still in almost-mint condition! Was thinking of bringing then back to SG for use at my place.
Question is, can anyone recommend a reasonable nice amplifier enough to drive these speakers that is also resonably priced? (maybe less than S$500). Will also be looking for a radio tuner cum CD-player for it as well.. does NAD have any good tuner/CD player/amps? Thx :)

Gymrat,

Depending on the impedence of your speakers, if they are fairly sensitive, just about any integrated amp will drive them.

The question is what would you like out of your system? The old adage 'rubbish in rubbish out' still holds true.

What I would look at more would be the 'character' of your speakers. Are they 'bright', or 'dull' ounding? Heavy on the bass, or tend to be 'fast'?

Then I would choose an amplyfier that either balances out the character of the speakers, or strengthen them. For example, if the speakers are bright, I may choose a warmer sounding amp to balance out the sound, or if I want a very fast, punchy sound, I may choose an amp that is known for those qualities. It's all a matter of knowing the characteristics of the equipment, and how to match them.

I doubt if you could get any really good amp for less than $500, but look at the 2nd hand market for any of the older Naim Naits, NADs, Rotels or even an Audiolab. Some of these might cost a little more than $500 2nd hand, but they would be worth the quality.

As in cameras and lenses, some things just have value.
"some old vintage audio equipment"
are not always worthless.

If your speaker was a Spendor or turntable was a Linn-Sondek, then they are not worthless to some CS members.

If your speaker was a Spendor or turntable was a Linn-Sondek, then they are not worthless to some CS members.

No Preludes for me - couldn't afford them back then, and No Sondeks - I went with the Gay boys in PINK. :cool:

Gymrat,

Depending on the impedence of your speakers, if they are fairly sensitive, just about any integrated amp will drive them.

The question is what would you like out of your system? The old adage 'rubbish in rubbish out' still holds true.

What I would look at more would be the 'character' of your speakers. Are they 'bright', or 'dull' ounding? Heavy on the bass, or tend to be 'fast'?

Then I would choose an amplyfier that either balances out the character of the speakers, or strengthen them. For example, if the speakers are bright, I may choose a warmer sounding amp to balance out the sound, or if I want a very fast, punchy sound, I may choose an amp that is known for those qualities. It's all a matter of knowing the characteristics of the equipment, and how to match them.

I doubt if you could get any really good amp for less than $500, but look at the 2nd hand market for any of the older Naim Naits, NADs, Rotels or even an Audiolab. Some of these might cost a little more than $500 2nd hand, but they would be worth the quality.

Hi DM,

Thanks for the feedback. Someone recommended that I spend the $ and get a Behringer EP1500 amp instead of 'wasting' my money getting stuff like NADs etc. According to him, the greater the watts the better the control. The Behringers will make your CD sound exactly like how it was recorded, as its also used in the studios. You get many times the wattage you would get from the 'home' amps. I'm not sure... you seem to be pretty knowledgeble, whats your take on this?

As in cameras and lenses, some things just have value.
"some old vintage audio equipment"
are not always worthless.

Thanks... Mum has decided to keep the turntable for now, and I've sent the Technics amp to the local TV repair shop to see if it can be repaired so my sis can use it as a tuner... :bsmilie: Just have to figure out what to do with the casette tape player.. :think:

No Preludes for me - couldn't afford them back then, and No Sondeks - I went with the Gay boys in PINK. :cool:

Meaning you bought a Pink Triangle turntable?
And what is the tone arm and stylus?

if u wanna bring the Tannoy to sg might as well bring the technics as well, save some $ next time can go for a better system

if u wanna bring the Tannoy to sg might as well bring the technics as well, save some $ next time can go for a better system

Too late.. I'm back in SG and the Technics is still in the shop :)

Anyway, sis wants to use it back in KL.

I've been reading up in using the Behringer for music, and some reviewers has said that it sounds better than 'audiophile' systems many times more expensive than it. Maybe I will check it out and see how it sounds

Thanks... Mum has decided to keep the turntable for now, and I've sent the Technics amp to the local TV repair shop to see if it can be repaired so my sis can use it as a tuner... :bsmilie: Just have to figure out what to do with the casette tape player.. :think:
Hey if u don't mind selling it cheap I'll take the cassette player off you as my church needs one to copy old tapes to cds. Pl PM me.

Meaning you bought a Pink Triangle turntable?
And what is the tone arm and stylus?

It was more like 'given' to me. Syrinx PU3 (gold? not gold?) and a Garrot Decca London. I did fool around with low-gain MCs, but not the hand-crafted stuff like the Koetsus or ABCs. No marnie.

Gymrat, I haven't kept up with the times. The best thing to so is use the actual components together to test (if possible). In the old days, we used to bring our speakers to the shop to test with this or that amp, and often, we used to borrow amps from one shop (who knew us well) to test with speakers in other shops. Since we all used belt-driven, sprung turntables, when we wanted to test amps or speakers with our own systems, we would just borrow and bring home. Can't move a properly set-up turntable around easily.

I wasn't rich. I was just blessed with rich audiophile friends who introduced me to a few 'very friendly' dealers.

It was more like 'given' to me. Syrinx PU3 (gold? not gold?) and a Garrot Decca London. I did fool around with low-gain MCs, but not the hand-crafted stuff like the Koetsus or ABCs. No marnie.

Gymrat, I haven't kept up with the times. The best thing to so is use the actual components together to test (if possible). In the old days, we used to bring our speakers to the shop to test with this or that amp, and often, we used to borrow amps from one shop (who knew us well) to test with speakers in other shops. Since we all used belt-driven, sprung turntables, when we wanted to test amps or speakers with our own systems, we would just borrow and bring home. Can't move a properly set-up turntable around easily.

I wasn't rich. I was just blessed with rich audiophile friends who introduced me to a few 'very friendly' dealers.

Ah... maybe can intro me to your 'very friendly' dealers also :D :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.