Vignetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

K C

Jun 9, 2004
My friend discovered that there is vignetting in some of his photos taken at 18mm wide angle ( kit lens), he sent his D70 & lens to Nikon and asked for advice, a technician told him that it is caused by the design of the CCD.

My understanding is that vignetting is due to certain lenses, and it happens to film cameras as well.

Anyone can confirm this ?

K C said:
My friend discovered that there is vignetting in some of his photos taken at 18mm wide angle ( kit lens), he sent his D70 & lens to Nikon and asked for advice, a technician told him that it is caused by the design of the CCD.

My understanding is that vignetting is due to certain lenses, and it happens to film cameras as well.

Anyone can confirm this ?

vignetting or light fall off?

Erm...what's the difference between the 2 ?
the photos have dark areas at the 4 corners.

all lenses have light fall off at the corners when shot at wide open appertures. this should reduce when stopped down a couple of stops...

vignetting is a very distinct corner darkening caused by external factors such as stacking too thick filters, or using a wrong hood on the lens. using a nikon dx lens on a film camera could also result in vigenetting.

i think in your case, its light fall off. just decrease you apperture by a few stops and it will go away.

i saw the photos & the 4 corners are pretty bad darkened, look distinctive to me.
photos were shown to the technician, & he said it's vignetting.

How many filters did he stack on the lens? There are no such problems when I tested the 18-70 using a normal UV filter. Light fall off perhaps a bit, but vignetting, no.

i think only the skylight filter, no hood.
shooting some trees with sky as background.

Maybe the particular lens have problems, why not try using another same lens to test. If you bring down to Nikon they should have another lens for you to test it. Should not be a CCD design issue ??

Hi all,

If it helps I had vignetting @ 28mm (oops I mean 17mm) too when I stacked 2 filters on top of each other - UV and a Hoya Polarizer. Moreover the UV I used was a cheap one cos the shops ran out of decent Nikon or Hoya 67mms at the initial stages of the launch of D70.

Managed to get a Hoya HMC to replace but have not tried with the polarizer yet.

I seriously doubt it is the CCD - doesn't make sense that Nikon would make DX lenses that does not fit perfectly with their CCDs.

Hope it helps

ya, i too doubt it's has anything to do with the ccd.
will ask him to run some tests, maybe with another lens.
thx all for the advice.

I suspect the "vignette" or lights fall off might be due to the lens. I've posted 2 samples over at my pbase account - http://www.pbase.com/stky/d70_test

[pics resized only, no post processing]
1st pic taken at 18mm @f8 - I notice the top right hand corner is significantly darker.

2nd pic taken at 70mm @f4.5 - I think the 70mm should have lesser or no vignette, but my pic seems to exhibits some light "vignette".

I've heard that the vignette effect is visible for 18mm at wide open, but once you go above f5.6, it's barely visible. In my case, I'm wondering if my lens is defective. Should I go back to the shop to exchange the lens as I've just gotten my kit set a few days ago?

tky said:
I suspect the "vignette" or lights fall off might be due to the lens. I've posted 2 samples over at my pbase account - http://www.pbase.com/stky/d70_test

[pics resized only, no post processing]
1st pic taken at 18mm @f8 - I notice the top right hand corner is significantly darker.

2nd pic taken at 70mm @f4.5 - I think the 70mm should have lesser or no vignette, but my pic seems to exhibits some light "vignette".

I've heard that the vignette effect is visible for 18mm at wide open, but once you go above f5.6, it's barely visible. In my case, I'm wondering if my lens is defective. Should I go back to the shop to exchange the lens as I've just gotten my kit set a few days ago?

the condition of my fren's photos is much worse, the corners are a patch of black.
maybe you can try what was suggested by Dennis, test it with another kit lens.

K C said:
the condition of my fren's photos is much worse, the corners are a patch of black.
maybe you can try what was suggested by Dennis, test it with another kit lens.

are you sure the hood wasn't used.

with the kit lens (or any other W/A prime or zoom lens) at the wide angle end that uses a petal shape hood, if it is attached wrong you will get black corners in the photo ....

no hood was used, only skylight filter.

Vigneting on wide consumer leve lens is quite common.
Even on pro ones you can see them sometimes if you stack a non-compatible filter.

For wide-angle lens, its best to mount as slim as possible filter [UV filter]
You can try removing the filter and see how it goes.

I have a few friend that have used the 18-70 to snap landscape and when I see the result, the vignet is not as noticeable as the vignet in my Tokina 19-35 with B+W filter in front .. that's why I use the Hoya HMC to cover that lens now.

Have you tried the feature in Nikon Capture to reduce the vignet ?
If it is really bothering, just crop the image :think:

no, did not try using nikon capture to correct it. as i did not get the kit lens, i was not able to lend him 1 to test.
he sent it in to service centre for a check, seems like they can't solve it either.
anyway, they offered him another lens, or a refund. he chose the latter.

I posted this picture in another thread and a fellow CSer, nickmak pointed out there there is vignetting at the top left. Is it vignetting? Please advise.

Picture was shot RAW, D70 Kit Lens, 18mm, f3.5, 1/5sec. No lens hood used, Hoya UV mounted.

42328-large-DSC_1836_1286.jpg

....on most lens at wide angle + wide aperture. Made worst with stacked filters.

From the image above, well....little light fall off does give some feel and character to the image (my opinion)....

Yes , from first glance that ther eis a very minute darkened at the corners....
it does not seem to cause much distraction.....to the main subject...so looks okay to me....

I am using the Canon A80 and at wide angle....the light fall off is really "bad..." its one of those lenses where manufacturers stretched its limit for the sake of giving the "good" wide ngle numerical values to label their lens... e.g 17mm - *with vignettting....wasn't part of the label though...

rgds,
sulhan

Sigma 12-24 has very minimal vignetting though, even at 12mm on 1.5x. :) I have seen sigma 12-24 on 1Ds, still very good and it doesn't give you super dark corners.....though laws of physics dictate that light fall-off is inevitable.

Here's a test pic at 12mm. http://www.pbase.com/image/28330469

Incidentally, sometimes i put vignetting at the corners for the effect for wedding pics, so may not be a bad thing after all. It looks "romantic". :) Of course, it's better to get a pc of glass without it as you can add it in later quite easily with good effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.