vignetting.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyjoey

Aug 10, 2007
west.
www.riverbelow1.blogspot.com
hi, have bumped into this word many times, but am still unsure what it means, even reading so many explanations. would like to ask

(1) what will cause vignetting.?
(2) what is vignetting (can post a picture as an example.) .?

thank you.

Hi sis, vignetting happens when you stack 2 or more filters together & shoot wide. You will see the corners of your picture darker than the centre, sometimes even black. Try stacking a few filters together & take a shot to see the effect.

Vignetting can mean two things here.

1. It is the darkening of the corners due to the use of wide-angle lenses or stacking of filters. You may see it as darkening of corners, somewhat like looking at an image through a tube. So only the circular central area will appear bright in a very bad case of vignetting.

2. Sometimes you may want to shoot a scene through a bush, or when you delibrately place an object near to the lens, such that the object will be out of focus. This is also known as vignetting.

vignetting on my 18-200 lens at f/3.5 and 18mm (thats the darkened corners and not the middle) - no filters

1797786178_272f42ed94.jpg

vignetting on my 12-24 at 12mm, f/4 with a thick (2 element) CPL - much more obvious

1853444344_adaca0d0f7.jpg

certain focal lengths, generally larger apertures and stacking of filters (as already mentioned) will cause vignetting
smth similar is brightness falloff

Yeah, thats on CS2 and later. Not sure about before CS2, never tried.

yup - CS2 does have this function
and i find the whole lens correction thing really useful

Vignetting can mean two things here.

1. It is the darkening of the corners due to the use of wide-angle lenses or stacking of filters. You may see it as darkening of corners, somewhat like looking at an image through a tube. So only the circular central area will appear bright in a very bad case of vignetting.

2. Sometimes you may want to shoot a scene through a bush, or when you delibrately place an object near to the lens, such that the object will be out of focus. This is also known as vignetting.

i'm not so sure about the 2nd example.

but vignetting refers largely to an uniform peripheral light fall-off or blockage.

light fall off becos of lens design, which have complicated causes. that is not very well seen in modern digital lenses but is typical in those toy cameras such as holga. this light fall off is gradual, almost like a graduated neutral density filter, except that it is concentric rather than parallel.

light blockage is more common, it simply means by stacking too many accessories in front of the lens element, they start protruding into the field of view of the shot, in particularly over ultrawide angle lens. if you use a petal shaped hood, you see the inner rim of petal shaped hood in the view. if you use a cokin holder, you will see the inner rim of the holder in the view. it literally takes up any shapes as they are literally unwanted structures of any shapes going into the field of view. it is even similar to the fact that you can accidentally include your own shadow or one of the tripod leg into the field of view in an ultrawide angle shot, by the same reason. as such, i find that vignetting, despite most commonly and typically used to describe the effects of solid blocking by stacking of rounded filters, is actually not that suitable.

i can use deliberate vignetting to enhance my pictures creatively, am i right to say that.? the type of pictures with the round dark circles around it.

i can use deliberate vignetting to enhance my pictures creatively, am i right to say that.? the type of pictures with the round dark circles around it.

yes, but with subtlety and moderacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.