Vignetting problem with Wide angle.

foxkeith

Jan 3, 2013
Singapore
I faced vignetting issue when I used my friend's ND filters on the sigma 10-20mm lens (UWA) @ about 10~13mm. I am really curious if there is a way to minimse it or any better brands which I should go for at a reasonable price?? Still new to photography, hope to get some advise from here. Cheers:)

I faced vignetting issue when I used my friend's ND filters on the sigma 10-20mm lens (UWA) @ about 10~13mm. I am really curious if there is a way to minimse it or any better brands which I should go for at a reasonable price?? Still new to photography, hope to get some advise from here. Cheers:)

no its a normal thing. even the best UWA also has that. one way is you stop down (which helps to some degree). most of the time, its just photoshop that will correct it. :)

1) What camera body are you using?
2) What Brand/kind of ND filter were you using?
3) If you dont say what you using..how we know whats a better brand for you. Reasonable price? why not..tell us your budget?
4) A pic speak a thousand word.

You have to tell us more about the ND filter you are using for us to provide further assistance.

is the filter ring blocking the light?

allenleonhart said:
no its a normal thing. even the best UWA also has that. one way is you stop down (which helps to some degree). most of the time, its just photoshop that will correct it. :)

Thanks for the information. Can lightroom 4 do the same trick as the photoshop?

TWmilkteaTW said:
1) What camera body are you using?
2) What Brand/kind of ND filter were you using?
3) If you dont say what you using..how we know whats a better brand for you. Reasonable price? why not..tell us your budget?
4) A pic speak a thousand word.

Sorry, I did not not that I am lacking out so much information.
1) camera body - canon 50d, lens sigma 10-20mm
2) Tianya filters - nd8 filter, nd4 filter
3) My budget is quite low, maybe less than 200 for the whole set

Thanks.

Shizuma said:
is the filter ring blocking the light?

Shizuma, it is not the filter ring which is blocking the light. Thank dude

Sorry, I did not not that I am lacking out so much information.
1) camera body - canon 50d, lens sigma 10-20mm
2) Tianya filters - nd8 filter, nd4 filter
3) My budget is quite low, maybe less than 200 for the whole set

Thanks.
you are using a ultra wide on a crop body, very unlikely you won't encounter vignetting issue when you stacking filters.

FYI, ultra wide angle lenses do have light fall off issue, it is more obvious when your images are underexposed.

I used to use the Tian Ya filter set on my Sigma 10-20mm f/4-f/5.6 before (I use Nikon DX format, with a crop factor of 1.5), and it is not hard to explain why a vignette appears. The Tian Ya filter holder is fairly thick and is made to hold up to 3 filters.

There are 2 solutions to this - use no more than 12mm wide or use a thinner holder - Cokin has one available.

(In case you are unaware, Tian Ya "adopter" the Cokin P series standard)

Thank you all for your recommendation and solutions. Will take note and try them out. Thanks.

Thanks for the information. Can lightroom 4 do the same trick as the photoshop?
Yes. IMHO, looking at the brands, siggy does best in this aspect of vignetting already.

Yea i think the sigma handles vignetting quite well. I've only seen this with big stopper and thats indicative that i need a longer exposure.