Vignetting on LX3 using MSN202

JC1808

Nov 22, 2008
West
Hi all,

I just bought a Raynox MSN202 for my LX3, already noted that some camera will have this Vignetting problem but seem like is a serious problem on LX3....my LX3 is attached with a stepup ring 46mm to 52mm on the lens adapter then attached the MSN 202 on it.

But is it normal to have such a big vignetting problem when is attach to LX3? Anyone who is using LX3 + MSN 202 can let me know...or somethings is wrong somewhere.....

"
4330354116_1a4600e6b1.jpg

I too got that macro filter. AT wide angle confirm got vignetting. Try zoom all the way in. This will remove the vignetting.

hi peterpan1975,

As shown in the pic....that is already the max.zoom for LX3 and the vignetting is still there... :(

Hi JC1808,
I just tested mine. No issue at max zoom. I tried all 3 settings of the "ASPECTS". What's the extension adapter you use?

hi peterpan1975,

As shown in the pic....that is already the max.zoom for LX3 and the vignetting is still there... :(

Max zoom is ok. Could be u didnt place the lens at the center...

hi peterpan1975,

hmm .. strange ... mine did not have such issue. u make changes on the apect ratio?

Hi JC1808,
I just tested mine. No issue at max zoom. I tried all 3 settings of the "ASPECTS". What's the extension adapter you use?

Hi KYFoong,

I using the original Panasonic lens adapter 45-46mm (DMW-LA4) follow by Lumix MC protector 46mm and then a step-up ring 46mm to 52mm and finally attached MSN 202 ontop of it.

I tried shoots 2 sets pictures below(with 3 different aspect ratio), as you can see that both sets still having vignetting. But seem like shots without the protector get less vignetting...
What wrong actually....haiz....:dunno:

#1 - 3 different aspect ratio with lens protector and attached with MSN 202
"
4332095474_094bc1e251_b.jpg
"

#1 - 3 different aspect ratio without lens protector and attached with MSN 202
"
4332095476_e8d6cf3998_b.jpg
"

Last edited:
Hi KYFoong,

I using the original Panasonic lens adapter 45-46mm (DMW-LA4) follow by Lumix MC protector 46mm and then attached MSN 202 ontop of it.

I tried shoots 2 sets pictures below(with 3 different aspect ratio), as you can see that both sets still having vignetting. But seem like shots without the protector get less vignetting...
What wrong actually....haiz....:dunno:

#1 - 3 different aspect ratio with lens protector and attached with MSN 202
"
4332095474_094bc1e251_b.jpg
"

#1 - 3 different aspect ratio without lens protector and attached with MSN 202
"
4332095476_e8d6cf3998_b.jpg
"

Most of us use adapter with 52mm at the other end *the end that the Raynox 202 is attached). That may be the reason.

Could be your adapter... If u use a 52mm, u will not see so much of vignetting...

:cry::cry::cry:

Maybe all of u are right.....

Current setting:-
LX3 + 46mm lens adapter + 46mm lens protector + 46-52mm step-up ring + Raynox MSN 202.....

So by getting a 52mm, will not see so much of vignetting...but vignetting will still exist.

Then I need to change to below:-
LX3 + 52mm lens adapter (3rd party) + 52mm lens protector + Raynox MSN 202

LX3 + 46mm lens adapter + 46mm lens protector + 46-52mm step-up ring + Raynox MSN 202.....

So by getting a 52mm, will not see so much of vignetting...but vignetting will still exist.

Y do u need a lens protecto when u have the msn 202 at the top of the stack

This is what I get MSN202, max tele, zero trimming, Aspect 4:3.

Y do u need a lens protecto when u have the msn 202 at the top of the stack
'

Hahaha~ that's what I was thinking just now too, ok not going to get lens protector if buy the 3rd party lens adapter.

Thanks for your :hammer:

This is what I get MSN202, max tele, zero trimming, Aspect 4:3.

oh~ KYFoong, u are using the 3rd party lens adapter ah? without lens protector too?

'

Hahaha~ that's what I was thinking just now too, ok not going to get lens protector if buy the 3rd party lens adapter.

Thanks for your :hammer:

I have a new piece of Opteka LX3 adapter 52mm for sale. Let me know if u're interested.. Haha...

I think u miss out the thickness contributed by the Raynox Adaptor in the equation.

Can try removing the lens protector from the set up?
LX3 + 46mm lens adapter + 46-52mm step-up ring + Raynox Adaptor + Raynox MSN 202.

is there step down ring from 46mm to 37mm?
LX3 + 46mm lens adapter + 46-37mm step-down ring + Raynox MSN 202.

Last edited:
oh~ KYFoong, u are using the 3rd party lens adapter ah? without lens protector too?

Yes 3rd party (using Panda Base) adapter. Straight off the box of MSN202, no protector.

I think u miss out the thickness contributed by the Raynox Adaptor in the equation.

Can try removing the lens protector from the set up?
LX3 + 46mm lens adapter + 46-52mm step-up ring + Raynox Adaptor + Raynox MSN 202.

haha, oh ya~ I forgot the Raynox universal adapter.
The second sets of photos is without the lens protector, give less vignetting.

is there step down ring from 46mm to 37mm?
LX3 + 46mm lens adapter + 46-37mm step-down ring + Raynox MSN 202.

I checked net, there is step down ring from 46-37mm, you can just screw in the MSN 202 to it without even the Raynox universal adapter. Not bad to have the MSN 202 screw right to the 46-37mm, hmm...:think: but isn't it troublesome to screw in and out? I think Raynox "snap-on" universal adapter is more user friendly?

I tested the mounting and realize that you need to mount the lens centre. From an engineering point of view, there is no positive mount using 2 points on a round hole. Shift the lens around a bit and you can see what I mean right away. Easy to see when the camera is set to wide angle. Good luck folks. I am happy so far using MSN250 and 202 plus close up filters (sometimes stacked)

I checked net, there is step down ring from 46-37mm, you can just screw in the MSN 202 to it without even the Raynox universal adapter. Not bad to have the MSN 202 screw right to the 46-37mm, hmm...:think: but isn't it troublesome to screw in and out? I think Raynox "snap-on" universal adapter is more user friendly?

depends on individual. i only speak for myself :

1) i prefer to have lens securely mounted rather than having it clip on.
2) when i want to shoot extreme close up, i dont remove the lens until i decided to call it a day. btw i use reversed mount lens on both my dslr and compact digital.
3) i am not sure how centre the clip can hold the msn202 with reference to the camera's lens.
4) how long can the clip last? i heard its common to break the clip. pray hard it dont happen during shooting.

why i mention (3) & (4) is i have clip on flower hood for 24mm prime lens that uses 52mm filter mount. recently got hold of one thats for 58mm filter size flower hood also. i have totally no confidence the hood will stay in place if something knock onto it.