Views Sought: Samyang Fisheye 7.5mm M43 or 8mm Fisheye SLR

snapperBB

Sep 26, 2005
Upper Changi Road
I am casual hobbyist and have recently got very interested in the Samyang Fisheye. I have a FF SLR and a M4/3 body. I was advised to get the SLR version and get an adapter for the M43 so that I can use on both bodies.

I have seen both the lenses and is more inclined to M43 7.5mm for it’s size. However, I would not mind a SLR version if it’s better for the fisheye effects with FF.

Before I put my money on it, I thought I’ll seek the views of the fellow CS members.

Any views or advice will be most appreciated. Thanks!

I have seen both the lenses and is more inclined to M43 7.5mm for it’s size. However, I would not mind a SLR version if it’s better for the fisheye effects with FF.

The Samyang 8mm is not a FF lens. it is meant for APS-C sensor camera bodies.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that.

Afaik, the FE for SLR will not have FE effects on m43. So it's still best to have each lens for each format. The size of the SY 7.5mm is really small, light thus optimized for m43 sensor, and it's about $400 new nowadays.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that.

There is only one (3rd party) FE zoom that will work as a FE on both APS-C and FF cam bodies. It is the Tokina 10-17mm FE. So far I have not heard of any that will work on both m43 and APS-C cams or m43 and FF.

I have tried Tokina 10-17mm on full frame it works on 16-17mm, it also works on aps-c and with adaptor I tried it on omd. But on m4/3 the widest focal is equivalent to 20mm (10mmx 2) vs 15mm(Samyang 7.5mmx 2) of Samyang. It almost lost it's fisheye effect and the difference of 5mm is a lot for fisheye lens.

I have tried Tokina 10-17mm on full frame it works on 16-17mm, it also works on aps-c and with adaptor I tried it on omd. But on m4/3 the widest focal is equivalent to 20mm (10mmx 2) vs 15mm(Samyang 7.5mmx 2) of Samyang. It almost lost it's fisheye effect and the difference of 5mm is a lot for fisheye lens.

On my FF body, it works from 15-17mm. If you file away the built in hood, you can use it from 10-17... where 10mm will be a full circular image. Tokina also sells a version without the built in hood. So far, I have not seen it in Singapore, just on b and h and adorama in the US.

Last edited: