Views on Lightroom 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting features and changes:

Quoted from John Nack's blog

Unbeatable Photoshop CS3 Integration:

Open files in Photoshop as Smart Objects. (This way you can tweak your Lightroom adjustments within Photoshop just by double-clicking the Smart Object layer that contains your raw file.)
Select multiple images to merge as a panorama
Merge multiple exposures into a single Photoshop HDR image
Load multiple files (or virtual copies of a single file) into Photoshop as separate layers in a single document

Selective image editing that rocks:

Lightroom 2 adds a Retouch tool right within the Develop module (see screenshot). That means you can paint regions of the image to dodge, burn, saturate/desaturate, adjust contrast, and more. Edits are stored as metadata, just as all other LR adjustments are stored, and are applied directly to your raw images. (Because people will quickly ask, I'll point out that unlike Apple's newly released Aperture 2.1, Lightroom integrates its selective editing tools right in with the other adjustment tools. In Lightroom you don't have to generate a TIFF file for editing, and unlike in Aperture, you can always tweak the results later. In addition, Lightroom features Auto Mask technology for tweaking the clicked region without bleeding into neighboring areas.)

Other goodness:

Library Module:
Streamlined Library layout

Smart Collections (based on search criteria)

Powerful Filter Bar to search and refine images

Suggested Keywords for simplified keywording

10,000 pixel size limit raised to 30,000 pixels

Output-based collections
Multiple monitor support:
Four flexible modes for an alternate window: Grid, Loupe, Compare, Survey
Live Loupe mode
Export functionality:
Auto-add exported images to the Lightroom catalog
Auto Output Sharpening for images on export
Develop Module:
Non-Destructive Localized Correction for dodging and burning specific areas of an image

Post-Crop Vignette

Basic Panel Keyboard Shortcuts

Improved Auto Adjustment

Improved memory handling through 64-bit support on OS X 10.5 and Vista 64-bit.(Not limited to develop module)
Print Module:
Picture Package for multi-page layouts

Print Module output directly to JPEG

Enhanced Print Sharpening based on PhotoKit Sharpener algorithms

16-bit Printing for Mac OS X 10.5

1st view: ur LR1.4 catalogue not valid in LR2.0, must re-import

Yap, you are right, basically installed the LR 2, the new verison kept most of my presents for the modules, except need to re-import all my photos in the LR 2. My keywords are gone.

Won't say that it's all gone... cos for me, my RAWs all no more keywords, which were previously assigned in LR1.4. But pics that were exported from LR1.4 and reimported (jpgs) still have their keywords.

That being said, i've yet to explore the modules in LR2. Shall leave that for tmrw

I have tried the develop modulue....a bit unfamiliar with the interface as the crop, red eye , clone/head and the new brush buttons are shifted to the right panel. But overall, I love the brush tool, which save my trouble of doing droge and burn, which normally done in CS3. Good tool to be included in the LR2. :)

Haven't tried it yet, but would be delighted to hear if the JPEG output was improved to the level of DPP / Capture NX.... as a Canon user I currently prefer the speed and quality of DPP over Lightroom's functions, but if the gap were closed, a switch may be in order....

1st view: ur LR1.4 catalogue not valid in LR2.0, must re-import

Won't say that it's all gone... cos for me, my RAWs all no more keywords, which were previously assigned in LR1.4. But pics that were exported from LR1.4 and reimported (jpgs) still have their keywords.

That being said, i've yet to explore the modules in LR2. Shall leave that for tmrw

read this http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/ it is a beta version for testing, catalogue transfer is not intended at the moment but there will be a transfer module....

As long as there is an export on the pictures...my understanding is the keywords will be embedded to the pictures...that's why when imported in LR 2, the keywords are still tagged to the pictures. As for the RAWs due to no export...the keywords that tagged with it, will be lost in LR 2. Please correct my statement if wrong. Cheers! :)

its a 64-bit software... can access more RAM... time to upgrade hardware in anticipation of Adobe shifting their software to 64-bit... :)

its a 64-bit software... can access more RAM... time to upgrade hardware in anticipation of Adobe shifting their software to 64-bit... :)

Then I had to upgrade my hardware and software to 64-bit....change XP to Vista...change graphic card 32 to 64 bit and max out my ram to 4 gig and above...best of all change the system to MAC PRO!!!!:bsmilie:

Then I had to upgrade my hardware and software to 64-bit....change XP to Vista...change graphic card 32 to 64 bit and max out my ram to 4 gig and above...best of all change the system to MAC PRO!!!!:bsmilie:
graphics card no need lah... Mac Pro also no need... ;)

me, I'm already on Vista 64, and I'm waiting for the new architecture (Nehalem) from Intel which should be coming late in the year/early next year, in time for CS4 to come out next year ;)

Does anyone know if LR2 will be a free upgrade when it comes out of beta for LR1 users?

graphics card no need lah... Mac Pro also no need... ;)

me, I'm already on Vista 64, and I'm waiting for the new architecture (Nehalem) from Intel which should be coming late in the year/early next year, in time for CS4 to come out next year ;)

Er...BTW will upgrade or should say change my system to Mac Pro by next year. :)
CS4....I will be waiting....:rbounce:

Does anyone know if LR2 will be a free upgrade when it comes out of beta for LR1 users?
I would say unlikely :sweat:. Though they may give discount for upgrade user.
:dunno:....currently its free and working side by side with my LR 1.
yah, for a period of time and beta version only :bheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.