Views of Flash Vivitar 285HV (for ark19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
Hi, ark19 requested for pics of this flash, so I thought I'd just put them here for anyone who may be interested as well.

Back View:
flashback.jpg

Nothing much at the back: main switch, flash power-ready indicator, test light, dial-illuminate button, tilt angle, zoom head

Side View
flashside.jpg

The dial that controls much of the flash exposure. The outer ring sets the ISO, inner one controls the aperture. The 4 colour codes indicate the 4 power range. This dial also shows the flash range (in ft and m), and helps to determine flash power in manual mode as well.

Front View
flashfront.jpg

The vario-power dial at the bottom, lets you set the power range (coded in colour), and controls flash power in full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/16. I believe the exposure meter is also there.

if anyone is interested, I could post some pics of Achiever 115 A/S (a cheap salve/auto flash) and Metz 32 Z-1 too.

Originally posted by mpenza
if anyone is interested, I could post some pics of Achiever 115 A/S (a cheap salve/auto flash) and Metz 32 Z-1 too.

Yes please! Thank you, mpenza!

And thanks for the pics, tweek. Btw, what is the spongey black layer on top of the flash?

Originally posted by azone

And thanks for the pics, tweek. Btw, what is the spongey black layer on top of the flash?

the top most one is the velcro I use to fix the bounce card, the layer below that is not spongy, it's a rough surface for you to grip and adjust the zoom head easily. ;)

Thanks for the pics Tweek! :)
Looks very complicated...

Still trying to figure out mine :(

Originally posted by azone

Yes please! Thank you, mpenza!

Tweek, hope you don't mind me posting here :)

here goes:

The front (light sensor as indicated):
aai.jpg

The back (to adjust the ISO and select the mode: 3 auto, manual and wide and then set the aperture on the camera accordingly). Power, battery test, flash test buttons are all behind too. The zoom setting is to be set according to the setting on top to have the proper distance reading (later).
aaj.jpg

side view. it can tilt up (to 90 degrees) or down a few degrees.
aak.jpg

Top view. The chart shows the various distances, while the "zoom selector" will zoom the flash internally (nothing protrudes out when you zoom). battery cover is also here.
aal.jpg

the hotshoe connector with PC cord that I used to trigger the flash from my camera.
aam.jpg

I also got the reflector:
aaa.jpg

Some major differences compared to the Vivitar 285HV:
1. lower power (GN105 at ISO 100 50mm)
2. lack of varipower
3. no tilt angle reading
4. ability to swivel left and right (useful for bouncing in portrait orientation or sideways)
5. it's more expensive! :(

Where can one get the hotshoe connector? How much is the 32MZ1 costs? Can it uses in TTL mode? Is the shoe changeable? Thanks.

How much is the Vivitar 285HV?

Originally posted by Kho King
Where can one get the hotshoe connector? How much is the 32MZ1 costs? Can it uses in TTL mode? Is the shoe changeable? Thanks.

How much is the Vivitar 285HV?

I got the hotshoe for $12 from Cathay Photo. The 32Z-1 costs ~$170 brand new. It doesn't support TTL mode. The 32Z-2 and 32MZ-3 supports TTL and have dedication modules. There're also many other models for Metz.

Tweek got the 285HV for $140.

I got the hotshoe for $12 from Cathay Photo. The 32Z-1 costs ~$170 brand new. It doesn't support TTL mode. The 32Z-2 and 32MZ-3 supports TTL and have dedication modules. There're also many other models for Metz.

Tweek got the 285HV for $140.

I was looking around for external flash last week, Mustafa is selling the vivitar for S$145, Alan quoted me S$160.

Originally posted by luc

I was looking around for external flash last week, Mustafa is selling the vivitar for S$145, Alan quoted me S$160.

price has risen! someone mentioned Mustafa was selling at $120.... think it's HOCL?

price has risen! someone mentioned Mustafa was selling at $120.... think it's HOCL?

Not me ... someone else ... I paid $145 at Fotoguide.

BTW, mpenza, your metz can swivel left/right? envy ... its a pity that the 285hv can only do bounce flash ... I am thinking of how to customise my flash bracket in order to do that ... trying not to spend a big bomb on an expensive bracket like stroboframe ...

if you find a way to swivel the 285HV, the light sensor will move as well though..... and it will be more difficult to get proper exposure.

if you find a way to swivel the 285HV, the light sensor will move as well though..... and it will be more difficult to get proper exposure.

Yep ... I did just that last time, thinking it is okay ... photos turn out to be total disaster ... took me some time to figure out why ... until I saw the sensor ...

what I am thinking of doing is to rotate the whole flash towards the left 90 degrees , so that when I hold the entire flash+camera+bracket set up in the portrait position, the flash head can tilt up for bounce flash in that position ... same concept as stroboframe brackets ... you understand what I mean?

I get what you mean. you could easily turn the camera to achieve the effect.... maybe manual mode will work better given that the flash sensor will be getting the wrong reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.