Viewing Raw Files on Windows 7

travelsnapper

Aug 24, 2008
I juz realised that i cannot view my raw files (NEF Files) on Windows 7.

In the previous XP version, i usually use Window Photo View for quick preview.

Is there any extention or solution to this?

Thanks in advance !

Thanks in advance !

Use Adobe Bridge with the correct raw plugin.

Alternatively, there are a couple of RAW viewing programs avail on the net. Just search for them.

Yes, it will work on 64bit win7. I am running this at the moment, and windows live photo gallery will show the NEF pics.
Are you sure it shows the RAW image and not the embedded JPG? You can check with the image size. If it's only 1536x1024 then it's only the embedded JPG, not the RAW. Just verified with Irfanview.
For viewing RAW files I suggest Fast Picture Viewer.

Last edited:
Definitely RAW, one of my NEF file was screwed but the jpeg looks ok; using the Live photo gallery, it shows the screwed up photo, so that's RAW.

Thanks in advance !
If you just want to be able to see what the raw files look like in Windows Explorer, then just install the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack will do the job... ;)
http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

Definitely RAW, one of my NEF file was screwed but the jpeg looks ok; using the Live photo gallery, it shows the screwed up photo, so that's RAW.
Curious: How can the RAW be screwed but JPG is ok? JPG is processed out of the RAW file in the camera, then both are written to card.

Short story - something effy on my cf card contact, which somethings screw up my shots when it writes. I thot it was rectified, since I sent it for servicing, but at the rate it is going, it does look like it was not resolved...

havan try CS3 in window 7 as still using my antique winXP lappy
going to upgrade a new lappy hope everything is ok :)

You can try the Raw file codec from HERE. I am using the codec for both canon and nikon Raw files and they work brilliantly with the Windows Picture viewer. I am using Windows 7 Prof 32bit.

thanks for all the suggestions.

juz got back my comp.. will be trying out soon.

cheers!