Viewfinder Sizes, do you fnd it important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
example,

Canon 7D: 329 sq.mm
Nikon D90: 336 sq.mm
Pentax K-7: 336 sq.mm
Nikon D300s: 351 sq.mm
Nikon D700: 589 sq.mm
Canon 5D mkII: 601 sq.mm
Canon 1Ds mkIII: 657 sq.mm
Pentax ME Super: 755 sq.mm
Pentax LX: 764 sq.mm (with FA-1 finder)
Olympus OM-1: 771 sq.mm
Pentax MX: 796 sq.mm

Absolutely. It's hard to pick up and use an APS-C camera after being spoiled by the A900 viewfinder.

absolutely.

as a manual lens shooter it makes a whole lot of differences. right now i already think the view thru a f/2.8 lens dark. haha. i ve looked thru a d70 vf before and i din feel happy.

but more importantly is a 100% coverage finder. makes alot of difference.

Definetely.

YES

1 yr ago when i was trying out all the DSLR below $1500.. i found olympus one too small .. Sony one also same... while the largest I think was 450D then... where D60 came close

to me, its important as it helps a lot to properly compose ur shots... imagine u need to move ur head ard the viewfinder to see the all coners of ur composition ... quite jialat leh..

folks who love to manual focus would definitely appreciate bigger brighter viewfinders

When i got out of using my prev DX to FF , the increase in size was an appreciable finding :bsmilie: unscientific but satisfying

ryan

I just love my D700 with the 1.2x Magnifier and the eyecup.... It's even bigger than the picture taken. Very easy to compose the photo, especially when you are on manal focus.

btw guys.. the xxx sq.mm is the actual size of the viewfinder rite? it when u see through it.. u get a bigger "hole"???

while the 1.2x is just how much it enlarge or reduce the size of the actual view ???

until now i dont get the spec right... thats why go dn to the shop and try it out only..haha

My personal camera is a Nikon D70, so imagine my joy when I use other cameras... The D70's viewfinder is so small compared to everything else! Haa... but alas, I'm stuck with my good ole dSLR!

You won't feel the pain until you're stuck in a situation where you need to MF but the viewfinder is too small/dark that you can't do anything but keep trying your luck in adjusting the lens to the desired focus.

IMO a Larger VF really improves your productivity and ease of compositions. I remember having to use a D70 in place of my D700 when it wasnt around :confused:

Important.... very important if like me... your eyesight isn't too good :sweat:

yes, the larger the better! especially in dark conditions and when using manual focus! omg, i thought 7D was big, who knows it's the smallest in that list above...

it really important! my eye are big! so I need a bigger VF

Yes, cos I find it hard to see if it is focused or not when in MF. Partially blind already so the bigger it is, the merrier. Even with EV Magnifier also doesn't help.

And I bo-bo shoot with a Canon 500D. After trying the 5D, the VF is much wider and wished had gotten that instead. Aaarrgghhhh!!!!!

Last edited:
i never really noticed... LOL... i didnt know the vf for most crop cameras are that small..

There's a discussion on this very topic here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=465469

Here's a picture someone on the other forum created:
pcIn8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.