Viewfinder & LCD Show Differently !

cjtks

Apr 9, 2011
fivetan.wordpress.com
Hi folks
I just bought a Nikon D5100 and was using it today but encountered a problem. When I see through the viewfinder, I can frame my subject before I shoot. However, when I view the taken picture through my camera LCD, the picture was not what I see via the viewfinder. It kinda out of frame ! For e.g. the model was standing at the centre between 2poles when I shoot tru viewfinder. When I see the picture via the LCD, 1 of the poles was not in the picture ! This happened when I zoom ! Is it camera fault ?:confused: When I shot & see via the LCD, subject was within frame and the taken picture was the same as what I see !

95% viewfinder.

Hi folks
I just bought a Nikon D5100 and was using it today but encountered a problem. When I see through the viewfinder, I can frame my subject before I shoot. However, when I view the taken picture through my camera LCD, the picture was not what I see via the viewfinder. It kinda out of frame ! For e.g. the model was standing at the centre between 2poles when I shoot tru viewfinder. When I see the picture via the LCD, 1 of the poles was not in the picture ! This happened when I zoom ! Is it camera fault ?:confused: When I shot & see via the LCD, subject was within frame and the taken picture was the same as what I see !

when u zoom i mean zoom in the preview or zoom with lens?

Hi
What do u mean bu 95% viewfinder ?

it means that the viewfinder shows only 95% of the whole photograph that is being taken. what it means too is that if you had framed anything just outside the viewfinder, would likely be inside the photograph. hope it helps :)

it means that the viewfinder shows only 95% of the whole photograph that is being taken. what it means too is that if you had framed anything just outside the viewfinder, would likely be inside the photograph. hope it helps :)

what he said

It's common to all camera ? Not a fault ? I just started to use DSLR yesterday only so is still in the learning stage.:sweat:

It's common to all camera ? Not a fault ? I just started to use DSLR yesterday only so is still in the learning stage.:sweat:

There is no general rule to how much coverage the viewfinder has, but it's quite common that the entry level DSLRs do not have 100% viewfinder coverage.

yup, it is pretty common. iirc, even the d700 doesnt show 100% of the final photograph in the viewfinder. generally the nikon single digit cameras, like the d3, have 100% coverage in the viewfinders.

this is nothing new. even in the film days, cameras like the f100 did not have 100% coverage in the viewfinders. it's the cameras like the f-f6 that had 100% coverage in the viewfinders

this is usually not so much of a problem as you can always just crop a bit of the photograph to have it as how you wanted it to be

From what I understand, it is a norm that the LCD shows more than the viewfinder. It is not a norm if the LCD shows less. In your example, you have one of the pole missing in the LCD, that is not a norm.

yup, it is pretty common. iirc, even the d700 doesnt show 100% of the final photograph in the viewfinder. generally the nikon single digit cameras, like the d3, have 100% coverage in the viewfinders.

this is nothing new. even in the film days, cameras like the f100 did not have 100% coverage in the viewfinders. it's the cameras like the f-f6 that had 100% coverage in the viewfinders

this is usually not so much of a problem as you can always just crop a bit of the photograph to have it as how you wanted it to be
Thanks for your reply ! But kinda troublesome as I need to crop or worst still, cant even have the extra to crop/ trim off as subject is out ! Haiz...gonna practice and get used to my D5100 2 shoot accurately.

content aware fill.

but i think what he saying is that what he saw in the viewfinder is not in the final photo leh..

u sure u didn't zoom in one step when playing back on the lcd? did you download to the pc and see if the pole is still missing?

Maybe your viewfinder has 105% coverage