View from Skypark

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

Went up the skypark earlier, hoping to catch some shots during the magic hour. However, I did not expect a long and slow queue which took more than 20 minutes due to printer failure at 3 out of the 4 counters. To top that off, I was told my Manfrotto 190B tripod was "too big" and had to check it in at the bell counter, so wasted quite a lot of time. By the time I got up there, it's already too dark. Had to make to with what I have. Interestingly, the security person said that there might be strong winds up there which could topple the tripod and hurt someone. This sounds ludicrous as heavier/bigger tripod = more stable.

Thankfully, I also had my mini GorillaPod and my trusty Panasonic LX3 to take some shots. The DSLR without a tripod is practically useless up there for night shots.

So for those going up there, take note of the following:-
1. No "big" tripods. They didn't officially say how big, but Manfrotto 190B is considered "too big". Those with the 4-section tripods might fare better, or maybe I am just unlucky to be random checked.

2. Officially, the rules say "No professional photography/video equipment allowed". Again, no one know what's "professional". Is a smallish Leica M9 considered professional? :p

3. It's dark, very dark up there. Be really careful when climbing the stairs to get up to the upper platform. Bring along a small torchlight.

4. Except for a small section at the tip of the skypark which is covered by glass, the rest of it are basically unblocked save for 3-4 horizontal steel cables. You can easily shoot through them as the vertical spacing is quite wide.

Enough rambling, here's the shots. I'll probably go up there again to get better shots.

4738336883_d00f1e7e4d_z.jpg

4738336593_551bbec081_z.jpg

4738968490_7e61699b6c_z.jpg

4738335953_497dd00f50_z.jpg

Regards
CK

Last edited:
Some shots from downstairs before dark, when I was probably feeling complacent that I can get up there on time. :p These were shot with a Nikon D200 + Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm.

4738337351_5fdf8b66d7_z.jpg

4738337105_9bc214060f_z.jpg

Regards
CK

Last edited:
love your last pic on the sgp flyer :)

Tk you for the pointers will take those into account, nice shot btw ;)

You still managed to get some nice shots dude even past magic hour.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Very nice pics! :thumbsup:

nice shots bro....

Thanks CK for sharing with us those pointers ... guess I can't go up to the upper deck. Make do with the lower deck.

Considering an outing there soon ... wonder how early have to go there.

A question, is there a time limit as to how long you can be up there upon your first entry?

Cheers!

Thanks CK for sharing with us those pointers ... guess I can't go up to the upper deck. Make do with the lower deck.

Considering an outing there soon ... wonder how early have to go there.

A question, is there a time limit as to how long you can be up there upon your first entry?

Cheers!

Don't think there are any time limit. You can probably stay for as long as you want. If you want to catch the magic hour, best to get your tickets before 7pm.

Regards
CK

2. Officially, the rules say "No professional photography/video equipment allowed".

i am very much concern about this rule.
means we cannot bring in our DSLR + tripod up there?
if ans is no, then i find it no point spending the $ liao

Lovely shots ! :thumbsup:

Thxs for sharing

Thanks for sharing the tips and the wonderful picts :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing ur experience up there, looks like i need to bring my traveller instead of explorer tripod up there instead. :sweatsm:

Btw CK, nice pics u got there :lovegrin:

i am very much concern about this rule.
means we cannot bring in our DSLR + tripod up there?
if ans is no, then i find it no point spending the $ liao

This is a grey area. What makes a camera "Professional" anyway? Even a "compact" camera like a Leica M9 or even a Panasonic GF-1 can be "professional". Well, they did not stop me from carrying my D200 + grip + 12-24, so I suppose it's ok. Tell them professional camera model numbers are single-digit, like D3, 1D, etc. :p

Personally, I think better NOT to ask them whether it's ok when you're there. They are probably clueless and will tend to err on the "safe" side. Just walk through and see if they say anything. If you prefer, keep the gear in the bag.

Then again, mine may just be an isolated incident of an over zealous security guy. He was quite nice, polite and apologetic, so I did not argue with him further.

Lovely shots ! :thumbsup:

Thxs for sharing

Thanks for sharing the tips and the wonderful picts :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing ur experience up there, looks like i need to bring my traveller instead of explorer tripod up there instead. :sweatsm:

Btw CK, nice pics u got there :lovegrin:

Thanks guys! NNB - make sure it's not longer than a 190B when retracted. Maybe all should get a GorillaPod instead. heh.

Regards
CK

Don't think there are any time limit. You can probably stay for as long as you want. If you want to catch the magic hour, best to get your tickets before 7pm.

Cheers!
I think there is a time limit as per the marinabaysands FAQ for the skypark.

An excerpt from the faq. Seems that one could not be up there for as long as he/she wants.

Q. Do all ticketholders go up one go?
A. No, all tickets are scheduled and allocated a specific time-frame to ensure all our visitors are able to enjoy the spectacular views from this unique vantage point.

4738968490_7e61699b6c_z.jpg

Regards
CK
Nice shot, great view!
Seems like there is a need to bring a tele lens besides a wide angle lens

Nice shots. Thks for sharing especially the tips on what to bring. Will bring my mini traveller tripod instead. :)

is this serious abt no heavy equipment or professional gears not allowed?
haha bringing in gears under cover wont alert the guards but without tripod, cant take night shots..
which I feel for most of us, bringing up such stuffs will be the ideal case when we pay tt sum jus to go up..