vietnam-saigon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agila

May 17, 2003
www.photonski.com
How serious is the theft/robbery in the streets of Saigon? is it safe to use long zoom lens like sigma 70-200 or use the 17-40 + 85mm for street photography? Im really afraid to use big lens, i might attract those "friendly" locals there.. :bsmilie:

hope to hear some feedback.. thanks a lot :D

As in any foreign country (foreign to your experience, I mean), be careful as you don't know what it's like there.

Having been to Ho Chi Minh City recently (I think "Saigon" just refers to a downtown district there now, if I'm not wrong), you will have lots of distractions like street peddlers, street kids, touts, etc. So I'd advise bringing a P&S for street shooting, if you want to enjoy your trip and not look after your gear all the time.

Someone I know was propositioned for massage by girls on bikes, and when they touched his a**, he thought it was part of the marketing process. It was only after he got back to the hotel that he realised the marketing pitch cost him about US$100 plus all the cards in his now long-gone wallet :bsmilie: ... while the rest of us had a nice leisurely lunch the next day, he spent it at the police station making a report.

Agila said:
How serious is the theft/robbery in the streets of Saigon? is it safe to use long zoom lens like sigma 70-200 or use the 17-40 + 85mm for street photography? Im really afraid to use big lens, i might attract those "friendly" locals there.. :bsmilie:

hope to hear some feedback.. thanks a lot :D

u r planning to go there?
alone?

Shoot with wide angle.
The people there are friendly enough to go very them to shoot...
Look for a smile 1st.

Pickpockets are rampant. Not sure about robbery. Be real careful with stuff you put into your pockets, not only wallets but stuff like passports and pens. Colleague got his expensive pen stolen even though he was totally 101% careful with his wallet (deep pockets, clipped wallet to jeans so razor cut a hole also no problem).

Just return from backpack to that country. Theft is major problem, pickpocket at crowded place. Dress casually and not smart and you shouldn't be robbery target.

Your gear is not as interesting as your money to them.

Photography is quite safe, people there are use to tourist with camera, but your combination will draw some attention.
Still, hold camera with hand always and don't hanng it down your neck while doing your shopping.

ericp said:
Someone I know was propositioned for massage by girls on bikes, and when they touched his a**, he thought it was part of the marketing process. It was only after he got back to the hotel that he realised the marketing pitch cost him about US$100 plus all the cards in his now long-gone wallet :bsmilie: ... while the rest of us had a nice leisurely lunch the next day, he spent it at the police station making a report.
hehehe i'll avoid those girl for sure, im travelling with someone special and she will definitely whack those girls... including me :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.