Video Mode - NTSC or PAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
yup.. s'pore uses PAL mode.. NTSC is used by most of europe and other western countries and the french uses SEMAC if i'm not wrong..

its just a difference in frames/per second when the moving visuals are recorded and played on tv..

basically its just a way for the various regions and countries to protect their local works..

if we were to take a PAL tape from sg, it wud be rather impossible to play on an NTSC vcr on say, america?

yah, something liddat la.. :D

AFAIK, nowadays, this problem can be resolved by using multi-system video player & television which can be obtained from electronic retailer.

It's SECAM and not SEMAC... :D

Pyre of Fyre said:
It's SECAM and not SEMAC... :D

oppz! semac is a rubbish cleaning company i think.. hahaa.. thnx for the correction!!! :embrass:

with multisystem tv & players, i think the NTSC & PAL format is not of a problem anymore. only diff is NTSC uses a higher frame rate (29.97?) but smaller frame. den PAL uses a bigger frame but lower frame rate (25fps).

like dvds, alot will say PAL dvds are better, due to the fact that the picture is 'bigger' and frame rates is not much of an issue. to me, no diff, i just watch dvd that originate from the region, like jap movies, buy R2 NTSC, american movies also NTSC, den Europe & some other countries, PAL, note is that, there is some movies experience ghosting when switch from NTSC to PAL, due to the reduction in frame rate (u need to 'throw' some away)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
with multisystem tv & players, i think the NTSC & PAL format is not of a problem anymore. only diff is NTSC uses a higher frame rate (29.97?) but smaller frame. den PAL uses a bigger frame but lower frame rate (25fps).

The 'frame' rate (actual field rate, but...) matches the frequency of the power in that region, being half the power line frequency. If the rate wasn't a nice even division of the power line frequency you get 'noise bars' running up or down the screen.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
like dvds, alot will say PAL dvds are better, due to the fact that the picture is 'bigger' and frame rates is not much of an issue. to me, no diff,

A DVD is encoded with a particular frame rate and screen resolution in mind. If you play it back at a different frame rate/resolution you may get more compression artifacts on the output than otherwise. PAL has slightly higher resoloution, but you are looking at compressed video. I rather doubt after the MPEG compressor has had a go at it, any one could tell the difference.... :)
You might if it was a DV-NTSC and DV-PAL recording you were comparing.

My 'region free' DVD player will output PAL or NTSC depending on the target encoding stored on the disk. My TV will display anything thrown at it. When running at NTSC frame rates a slight rolling bar is sometimes visible. The player 'splash' screen stays in the mode of the last disk played - it shows noticeable rolling bars. (The splash screen is a solid blue background with the DVD logo in the middle).

However i've played a NTSC encoded DVD on my PC, output to the TV and the TV out on the video card was set for PAL. Worked fine with no noticable issues. It's possible it was putting out 30 fields per second but with PAL colour encoding...

Status
Not open for further replies.