Video Light to go with digital cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sukoo

Apr 9, 2004
Hi, would like to hear some opinions on using camcorder video lights with a DSLR or P&S digicam with the approprate brackets..

Is this a good idea? If yes, is there any recommendation of brand?

Video light is more of like a "constant" light source... BTW, have you point your PnS at the normal household lamps? That explains why it is not exactly "constant"... But do take note that they may not be as powerful as a real flash light.

Video light is more of like a "constant" light source... BTW, have you point your PnS at the normal household lamps? That explains why it is not exactly "constant"... But do take note that they may not be as powerful as a real flash light.

Ok... is that why most of the video lights runs on DC?
I'm thinking of getting a cheap one with external battery pack. Intend to use it for indoor shoot. Is 10W or 20W sufficient?

I am refering to this type of video light.. with a hot shoe mount.
162282.jpg

Ok... is that why most of the video lights runs on DC?
I'm thinking of getting a cheap one with external battery pack. Intend to use it for indoor shoot. Is 10W or 20W sufficient?

I am refering to this type of video light.. with a hot shoe mount.
162282.jpg

I don't think it will be good or any use at all as the primary illumination, unless you want if to create effects.

Typically continuous lighting used for photography is in the range of 500W to 1000W and those are not really that bright compared to flashes or strobes.

BC

I don't think it will be good or any use at all as the primary illumination, unless you want if to create effects.

Typically continuous lighting used for photography is in the range of 500W to 1000W and those are not really that bright compared to flashes or strobes.

BC

So a camcorder sensor is more sensitive than a camera sensor?
I mean since the lights can be used with a camcorder why is not good enough for some photography?

For indoor shooting using a continuous lighting can help in auto focusing of a P&S or prosumer camera... and should be better than a slave flash right? It will add a certain amount of lights on the subject, so the photographer can quickly metered, use the correct setting and snap right away.. compare to trial and error when using a slave flash..

why use camcorder video lights ? You can use portable lamps or lighting available at IKEA.

why use camcorder video lights ? You can use portable lamps or lighting available at IKEA.

Huh? :bsmilie:

So a camcorder sensor is more sensitive than a camera sensor?
I mean since the lights can be used with a camcorder why is not good enough for some photography?
This is call "using the wrong combination of equipment"... The video light will not give you a pleasant looking lighting. Also, it is a waste of battery.

For indoor shooting using a continuous lighting can help in auto focusing of a P&S or prosumer camera... and should be better than a slave flash right? It will add a certain amount of lights on the subject, so the photographer can quickly metered, use the correct setting and snap right away.. compare to trial and error when using a slave flash..
PnS and prosumers, I can't really help it. But at least at the DSLR level, the flash unit will have an addition AF-illuminator which helps the camera to AF faster. As for using a slave flash, once you used it long enough, with experience, you do not need to trial and error that much. Btw, others can trigger your slave flash too...

This is call "using the wrong combination of equipment"... The video light will not give you a pleasant looking lighting. Also, it is a waste of battery.

PnS and prosumers, I can't really help it. But at least at the DSLR level, the flash unit will have an addition AF-illuminator which helps the camera to AF faster. As for using a slave flash, once you used it long enough, with experience, you do not need to trial and error that much. Btw, others can trigger your slave flash too...

No worry about other cam cos most of the time I'm the photographer.. ;)
I know slave flash is a better choice but the recycle time of the internal flash of my sony H5 sucks... especially after a couple of shots with flash when the battery start to go low.
Utimately the slave flash still need to be trigger by my internal flash.
That's why I'm thinking of exploring other alternatives...

Other than the flashes from other cameras, blinging lights etc also can trigger your flash... Pre-flashes may also confuse your slave flash...

this light is not powerfull enough, close up marco shots can.

and if you use a very powerfull video light for your digital cam, for sure it will be so hot that everyone run away from you, don't forget that you still have to carry a very heavy 12V battery to power this light.

in short, this is a silly idea, if it really works, many people would have done that long time ago.

Well, you can try... See if it works lor... You can try experimenting using your normal table lamp first to see if it helps... See how "useful" it is on actually...

Status
Not open for further replies.