Video Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trevor_Tan

HI,
Is any one here into video editing? I saw those guys at Sitex doing demo there seem very cool. If you have experience in that can share what hardware and software u use? Thanks

Trevor

Gee, depends on what you want to do, highly professional, or good home video kind.

A good place to start reading up is this site www.vcdhelp.com

Hope this helps ;P

My experience with video editing (very basic... so correct me if I'm wrong.):

Very simple video editing (sometime back) using Adobe Premier and Pinnacle DV500 capture card for DV capture.

All I can say is that my experience is pretty bad when it comes to rendering the output after you edit/add transitions... sometimes its takes up to 10 minutes to render a 1 minute clip.

However, if you have the cash.... a render card (is that what they call it?) can take all that pain away quickly but prices are pretty steep (more than $1000?). A fast PC or Mac with RAID and lots of RAM. For PC you'll have to use NT/2000/XP cos filesizes are gigantic (1Gb for 10 minutes of AVI uncompressed) which Win9x cannot handle above that. And of course... lots of HDD space.

I think the one you saw at Sitex was by Canopus ($2000>?).

Originally posted by ptlee
Gee, depends on what you want to do, highly professional, or good home video kind.

A good place to start reading up is this site www.vcdhelp.com

Hope this helps ;P

Yup... thats a good website to go! Lots of tips and recommendations.

Thanks for the info, those I saw in SITEX is from Snazzi and a company call A1 (www.aone.com.sg) who deals with a few brands.
BTW how to transfer from Video Cam to PC? The analog way is to use the Video and Audio Out from Cam to PC (assume got the card liao) but that will be real time thingy right? Meaning 1hr video take 1 hr to transfer, right?
The DV socket on the Cam is meant for firewire is it? Is the transfer faster? Do I need any drivers (from the Cam or whatever) or software to use this function?
Btw I only thinking of doing simple editing for home use, so anything above $300 got to wait for another PC show or whatever liao.

Trevor

Well, if you have a digital camcorder (those mini DV tapes type) the only capture card you need is a firewire (aka dv aka iee 1394) card, which may come with the camera as a bundle, or even on newer PC motherboards nowadays. No need for an analog capture card.

If you have an analog camcorder, I think you'll need those analog-digital/AVI capture cards, ummm.. out of my league, no idea of equip type/price.

Word of advice though, get a big hard disk to capture, better yet if it's a dedicated hdd. plenty of ram. Um, a dv capture of 1 hour, PAL, DV type 1 take up about 13 Gigabytes of my hard disk space, ulp. I understand analog-to-digital capture is even bigger?

Read up the newbie articles in vcdhelp.

I'm still trying to work out my home video workflow. I find it more complicated than my digital photography workflow.

-ptl-

Hi Trevor_Tan

Gettin your hands in editing is definitely a good way to make good use of all those videos you have taken with your videocam.

One nice software/hardware to recommend is the Pinnacle's Studio 8. It comes with the Firewire card that transfer your footages from the camera to the PC. Then, you use the Studio software and just click click here and click click there.

It even have this "Automatic Music" creation tool.

Check it out at http://www.pinnaclesys.com/

James
www.dfpmedia.com

DV is a good way to go, good balance between budget and quality, need the right software though.

if you're a newbie, i suggest you try out iMovies. edits easily and wonderfully.

to convert about 60 min of DV into digital form for editing in iMovie requires around 10gb of hdd so make sure you have lots of space to spare.

if you're more advanced, try Final Cut Pro or wait for Final Cut Express (to be launched soon) for more 'pro' effects and controls

try it out at AppleCentres, you won't go wrong with it. :)

Easy thing to do on a PC is

1) IEEE 1394 card
2) big 7200rpm hard disk
3) MGI Videowave 5 (very easy to use)

Pinnacle Studio 8 is the most simple way to edit video. From capture, edit, Hollywood 3DFX effects, sound mix, slow motion, compress to stream video, compress mpeg 1 VCD or mpeg 2 DVD. If you have IDE DVD writer, they can author your edit mpeg 2 to Home DVD-R/RW or +R/RW. Moving video with the menu. We call motion menu with button key on. Is Cool. This function only those $3K above author soft have build it. Now you have it just few hundred dollars pay out.

I have a site from how to setup and capture in real time or rendering in real time. Using IEEE 1394 Firewire cable.

http://www.videoguys.com/system.htm

I'm a NLE editor
Happy Editing... :thumbsup:

Hi KC,

Would you know whether the Canopus DVRaptor-RT can work with other editing programs other than Adobe Premiere? I mean whether its real-time rendering feature can work other than with Premiere.

TIA.

The Canopus DVRaptor-RT. This card itself is a Realtime PCI Hardware card. RT stand for Realtime. Any editing software program can be used on canopus product. Most wanted is Adobe Premiere 6.5, Ulead Studio Pro 6.5, AVID Express DV 4.0 and Pinnacle EditDV.:p

Raptor RT can work in Avid XpressDV and EditDV as a Firewire Card, you loose all RT features. why spend a few hundred dollar and not use the RT features ?????

Use premiere or ezEDit to fully utilise the RT features, you can check out the website or go to some SLS shop to try it out. I am no expert or user of Raptor RT so I don't think I should comment further.

I Didn't know that there is a Version 4 for Avid XpressDV, last know update was 3.5.3.

Avid will be giving away free copies of feature limited XpressDV somewhere in june or july.

If you not doing it professionally, I agree with desmondwong that iMovie is an execllent choice.

Cheers,

Originally posted by KCBox
The Canopus DVRaptor-RT. This card itself is a Realtime PCI Hardware card. RT stand for Realtime. Any editing software program can be used on canopus product. Most wanted is Adobe Premiere 6.5, Ulead Studio Pro 6.5, AVID Express DV 4.0 and Pinnacle EditDV.:p

If you intend to capture analog sources and Dv, and if you are on a budget , i would think Canopus Advc-100 is a good buy.Try searching the web about it.It is a firwire breakout box that captures analog video/audio and dv.. at the same time it outputs to other sources like Video recorder/tv back to dv.. as for drop frames from Analog capture.. i think a P3 800mhz with 512mb should be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.