Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

West_ray

Feb 10, 2003
Yishun
galleries.photonx.org.
as i wanna play Rise of Nations PC game ... the min sys requirement is 500 MHz processor, Win98/2000/Me/XP, 128MB of memory, 800 MB of HD space, 16X CD drive, DX 8.2 or higher, and a 16MB video card. No Voodoo video cards will be supported.

Does video card mentioned is a 3D card??? And how do i check whether my video card is compatitble ...

thanks in advance ...

*computer idiot

I think the requirements is just a normal video card, I am playing RON w/o any dedicated 3D graphics card with no problems. I am using P4.

Note: MIN requirements :) doesn't mean that anything lesser it won't run, probably just less optimal :)

Nowadays most of the PCs comes with GF cards which are mostly compatible with most of the games, think the 16MB cards and up are fully complient with DirectX, so you shouldn't have any problems with it :)

espn said:
Note: MIN requirements :) doesn't mean that anything lesser it won't run, probably just less optimal :)

Nowadays most of the PCs comes with GF cards which are mostly compatible with most of the games, think the 16MB cards and up are fully complient with DirectX, so you shouldn't have any problems with it :)
Some games do run a system check before installation and will not proceed with the installation if the system fail certain key requirements, like insufficiant video memory or processor speed..etc

but mine is AMD Duron lehz .... not P3 or P4 ... not sure mine can play or not ...

wanan try the trial version for the game ... but ta ma de ... i'm using 56k ... and the size is 198mb...

West_ray said:
but mine is AMD Duron lehz .... not P3 or P4 ... not sure mine can play or not ...

wanan try the trial version for the game ... but ta ma de ... i'm using 56k ... and the size is 198mb...

Get someone you know on boardband to download it and burn into a CDRW for you.

Since it's a trial copy, it's not breaking copyright law to pass it around right?

Duron shouldn't be a problem, I run all my D2, D2x, WC3 etc games off Duron also, although I now using a Athlon but not much difference.

yupz ... now asking my friend to burn the trial version and i'll try it ... if can play, then i will get the original one .. ;)

Got the same problem. RON installed properly. But when I started the game it complained that the graphic card driver need to be updated.
I dont have a dedicated Graphic card only the MotherBoard inbuilt one.

So searched the MSI site and got the VGA driver update. So check your MoBO site and download the latest driver also.

Check this link for some answers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820089

espn said:

so good eh ?? comes with GeForce eh ? Fx or Ti ? :bigeyes:

West_ray said:
may i knwo what is the differences between 3D video card and 3D accelarator??

Technically speaking, a video card is has a graphic chip that is meant to do only 2D and does not have 3D rendering capabilities.
Like those 10 year old, gfx cards. (They still do work with today's system, if they are not faulty, but only for simple OA work and non graphic intensive apps)

The introduction of games with 3D, gave rise to a new term called 3D accelarator cards.
In the past, the PC has 2 cards, ONE is the video card for normal 2D display and a 2nd card for 3D work.
Like the popular 3dfx's Voodoo card.

As 3D games become popular, more than more video card makers start to inculde or incorporate the 3D Accerlator chip onto the video card. And it gave birth to the new breed of 2D/3D graphics acceralator cards.

The "king" of graphics card in the old days was 3dfx, but it is not longer in the race. Even Matrox has decided to pull out of the 3D race btw ATI and Nvidia and concentrate on the multi-display market with 2-3 monitor support.

If I recall correctly the last 3D only card is the 3dfx Voodoo 2 PCI.
(Ages ago, memory may be failing me)

The 3dfx Voodoo 3 is a 2D/3D card already.

3D graphics cards in the past was complex as there are many types and standards.
Many games are programmed to support one 3D standard and not the other.
The standards are 3dfx's GLIDE, OPENGL and Microsoft's Direct3D.
If you bought a 3D card that did not support GLIDE from 3dfx and the game uses that rendering, then the 3D card has no effect on the game performance.

But Microsoft's Direct3D prevailed again and the other standards slowly faded out.

Most of us today can safely assume that a video card and graphics card and 3D acceralator card is probably refering to the same thing.

Winston said:
Technically speaking, a video card is has a graphic chip that is meant to do only 2D and does not have 3D rendering capabilities.
Like those 10 year old, gfx cards. (They still do work with today's system, if they are not faulty, but only for simple OA work and non graphic intensive apps)

The introduction of games with 3D, gave rise to a new term called 3D accelarator cards.
In the past, the PC has 2 cards, ONE is the video card for normal 2D display and a 2nd card for 3D work.
Like the popular 3dfx's Voodoo card.

As 3D games become popular, more than more video card makers start to inculde or incorporate the 3D Accerlator chip onto the video card. And it gave birth to the new breed of 2D/3D graphics acceralator cards.

The "king" of graphics card in the old days was 3dfx, but it is not longer in the race. Even Matrox has decided to pull out of the 3D race btw ATI and Nvidia and concentrate on the multi-display market with 2-3 monitor support.

If I recall correctly the last 3D only card is the 3dfx Voodoo 2 PCI.
(Ages ago, memory may be failing me)

The 3dfx Voodoo 3 is a 2D/3D card already.

3D graphics cards in the past was complex as there are many types and standards.
Many games are programmed to support one 3D standard and not the other.
The standards are 3dfx's GLIDE, OPENGL and Microsoft's Direct3D.
If you bought a 3D card that did not support GLIDE from 3dfx and the game uses that rendering, then the 3D card has no effect on the game performance.

But Microsoft's Direct3D prevailed again and the other standards slowly faded out.

Most of us today can safely assume that a video card and graphics card and 3D acceralator card is probably refering to the same thing.

very good article youy have written winston.

i remember i was use magic 3d(accelated), then move to banshee. Both running Glide, they were rock stable when playing games. Then glide died, i bought geforce 2 mx then moved to geforce fx 5200(now) . Direct3D is not as stable as compare to glide. graphic card is like getting more expensive, check out the latest geforce card, they were like $300 over !! of coz, low end one is only $150 or below. But nowaday games are getting VERY GRAPHIC INTENSIVE. If you are into games, you might be disappointed if u get a low end one. But well, if you don't play game, you don't even need a geforce card.

Status
Not open for further replies.