Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMajor

Jun 29, 2009
Singapore
img43601.jpg

This is an old photo which I took in Nov during a business trip to Paris. I have posted it in the Travel section before and now as I muster enough courage to make my first post in the critique corner, please do give me your feedback so that I can improve. Thank you all.

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?

I would like feedback on the composition, the pp and the mood of the picture.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?

I would like to impose on the viewer a feel of the past glory of victories in France.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I was walking around the Arch looking for an angle to take a shot. As I stood below, and looked up, the scene inspired me to take this shot. I took quite a few shots to get the French flag in this position.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.

Generally, I like the photo and the feeling of hope and victory that it gives me. I am aware of the sunlight shining from behind the flag, and I thought it would enhance the mood. Unfortunately, the flare of also part of the side effect. Maybe I should crop off the ugly flare.

i personally find the perspective of the shot abit odd...the angles dont seem to sit well in the photo. I would suggest taking this shot dead centre. :)

hmm the first thing that strikes me is the poor distortion control. Since you were a wide angle, the lens distortion is quite noticeable, but tolerable... the trouble is that the photo is not straight, which makes distortion on one side... well, distorted. This could be corrected with photoshop, as well as the slight tilt of the photo.

perhaps you could have stood square in the center of the arch, as i notice you seem to have been quite a bit farther from the opposite side (hence there is a different perpective on that side of the arch- frontal instead of down-up). This would not only have caused the four corners of the picture to converge on the flag, and hence accent it with leading lines, but would also have reduced flare, cos the light seems to be coming from that side anyway.

overall, still a pretty good picture, which could still be improved in PP. i know what you mean about flags btw, it takes forever for them to blow just right xD

hope this helps! merry christmas :)

i personally find the perspective of the shot abit odd...the angles dont seem to sit well in the photo. I would suggest taking this shot dead centre. :)

same, dead center is better.

Thanks for all your feedback, will watch out for dead centre next time.

Agree with some, I found you should take the photo exactly in center (of the arch). The current photo shows an unbalance (of upper and lower part).

Nevertheless, a good colour and feel. Added with a good composition will be great.

Agree with some, I found you should take the photo exactly in center (of the arch). The current photo shows an unbalance (of upper and lower part).

Nevertheless, a good colour and feel. Added with a good composition will be great.

Thanks for the feedback. I can move a bit left and balance the horizontals a bit, but upper and lower part would be difficult. Given that dead centre will be directly under the flag which even if flying can hardly look like this from a direct bottom view.

one more thing to add is the flare which is distracting.

i quite like the perspective. my suggestion would to use something wider(much wider or fish eye perhaps) and to tilt the camera such that the pillars extend to the 3 corners of the frame there you get more sense of depth and perspective which should intrigue the viewers' attention

the exposure here is perfect :p

same here.

i quite like the perspective. my suggestion would to use something wider(much wider or fish eye perhaps) and to tilt the camera such that the pillars extend to the 3 corners of the frame there you get more sense of depth and perspective which should intrigue the viewers' attention

the exposure here is perfect :p

Thanks. I can try UWA if I see something similar in future. But fisheye, I dont intend to get because I think I will hardly use it. Limited resources have to use them wisely.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.