Very very new

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeeeemo

Nov 6, 2006
hi..

i noe nothing about photography..
typical consumer who goes to camera shops because of an advert on the television and purchase whatever the shop sellers present as long as it SOUNDS worth the money.

i have two digital cameras from olympus..
dun even noe the models... one was $400 and another $1000 whn my mom bot dem from olympus in 2004.
i wud like to learn more....

ive been trying to take small objects recently, but i realise my camera is not good enough to focus in detail..

therefore i went to an aquatic forum to look up on fish photography..
many ppl reccomended DSLR cameras..
that was only like the 2nd time i came across such a term.. after viewing many beautiful photos online.. my curiousity and interest in photography started..

and now id like to seek advice if i shud purchase a dslr to kick off my new hobby..
shud i spend money on a 2nd hand dslr (have a budget) and learn how to handle one or should i juz stick to digital cameras? cuz to me now.. my digital cameras are reali dissapointing.... the zoom i tink is almos the max for digital cameras but i feel its not enough for me..

what i intend to be the object of focus in the future will be nature.. and i read about the different type of lenses and their effects... but i feel like i will never understand all the terms and the benefits of using a dslr fully unless i purchase one for myself to TRY!

however, dslr cameras arent cheap..

would love it if someone cud enlighten me..

what is wrong with your P&S camera?
many great images of small objects are taken with a P&S camera

go look at the macro and close up section

P&S are for casual users, and if u'r willing to spend time and go more into photography as a hobby then u should consider a camera.... i'll not say second hand is bad but its again whats your budget and required used of it :D its no point u get seond hand and sell it within 6 mths to get a new one :D

a good camera takes u that far, the rest is up to the photographer :D :D

oh ya forgoot to say hi, welcome here :D

First and foremost .... welcome to CS .... :cool:

Personally, I dun think you should invest in a DSLR right now :nono:
Use the PnS and learn more about pix composition especially when taking pix of nature. And with the macro mode on your PnS, it is capable of producing decent shot of flowers.

That is how I started .... ;) Have fun !!!

I learn my photography through a prosumer camera first which allow me to understand all the manual functions and camera terms.

My advice is that either u get a cam with manual functions or buy a 2nd hand dslr to start with. But also it down to your budget.

Hehe remember that once u are in dslr, BBB virus will be here. I guess all the pros here know. ;)

lol bbb virus but that means must have moola first lehz :D

pardon me for asking a weird question... r u frm yishun?

coincidentally, one mth back i had a chat with someone staying yishun, using olympus PnS, was a aquarium hobbyist, interested in shooting bettas (cause he explain those shot in ebay are very attrative), complains that he couldnt get attractive shots with PnS, and i presume he's online since he mention ebay.... izt u? :think: :D

well.. if near my place, brew some coffee, i go do a TFCD session for your pet fish.... :D

Yeah. Hehe ready to eat grass for a month. :thumbsup:

Eh... more than a month.... :sweat:

Still sweating after many months.. and will still be for many more to come.. :sweat:

should have club for ppl eating grass :D :D

well good luck at the end of the day its worth it.... :D

wow... haha! i reali feel welcomed guys...
tis forum has the fastest replies ive ever seen .. i expected only 2 replies or sumting..

wad if even at macro mode.. i cant see .. say my shrimps in action inside my tank.. the shrimps are ard 2cm.. den isit time to get a new camera or 2nd hand dslr?

haven thot bt budget yet .. i guess if im reali into it.. im willing to pay.. lol

First and foremost .... welcome to CS .... :cool:

Personally, I dun think you should invest in a DSLR right now :nono:
Use the PnS and learn more about pix composition especially when taking pix of nature. And with the macro mode on your PnS, it is capable of producing decent shot of flowers.

That is how I started .... ;) Have fun !!!

haha i tink i shall learn to use my camera to the best for now before i decide to get a dslr..
besides macro stuff.. i tink the olympus prosumer is pretty good! and i have other things other than nano things tht i wana take... perhaps getting started in brushing up my photography skills will be done on this olympus! =)

will be going for a holiday to egypt soon! good opportunity to get good photos!
yay~

are prosumers good for very fast moving objects?

one very very shitty part bt my current camera is tht the lighting in the photo is nice without a flash.. but because of automatic setting flash will go off even if the surroundings arent tht dark.... however, if i manually set the camero to no flash.. the shutter speed becomes ridiculously slow and make it impossible to take any slight moving objects.... how can tht be corrected? or is tis cuz my camera simply SUCK.... this camera is the 400 bux one.. the 1000bux one not tht bad.

your cam don't happen to have a slow-sync mode for the flash? you can try panning..

You'd need 1:1 macro capabilities to get the small shrimps to show up on the image clearly. Try it out slowly on the prosumers and you'll get the hang of it slowly.

But if you are really interested in getting really good shots of macros in a aquarium, then you'd need to invest in a good SLR with macro lens, tripod, external flash(es) and also a good clean tank (some actually set up a spare tank purely for photography alone)

;) ,

Hi pal, welcome to the forum!

After reading that you had difficulty focusing the shrimp, i wanna know if you have (1) activated the Macro mode; and (2) did NOT zoom when u shoot. PnS cameras cannot focus well on very near objects if u zoom.

I will not advise that you go for DSLR until you can master your PnS well as the learning curve is more steep for the former. If you need more powerful zoom, consider some prosumer models like Fuji F6500, Sony H2 or Canon S3IS, all should be in $650-750 range and should serve most of the purpose well.

Have fun shooting!

It is not easy to focus fish in water esp. using a P&S. Try to use macro mode and set AF to MF (manual focus). Move your camera to focus the fish.

Would be better to let us know the brand/model of your olympus and name/size of the fish.

Click here to identify your camera

will be going for a holiday to egypt soon! good opportunity to get good photos!
yay~

Have a safe trip and take more pix .... dun forget to share ....
Have fun .... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.