Very unphotogenic guy needs help!

Unpretty

Jul 25, 2012
Thomson
****TITLE INCORRECT I MEAN "VERY UNPHOTOGENIC GUY NEEDS HELP!!!***

MODERATOR PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE FOR ME!!!! This is so embarassing haha!

First off I'd like to start off by saying I think I'm a decent looking guy. But whenever I get a photo taken, especially a candid shot, I just want to throw up all my innards.

And it is not just me. I have been told that I look "Like A Druggy". Even in group shots with my friends, when people see my photos, they would just BURST OUT LAUGHING. I don't mean 'AHAHAHA" but "BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!" and it really hurts. Whether in group shots with friends, colleagues or Chinese New Year pics, I'd always stand out in a BAD BAD way. I am definitely the most unphotogenic guy in the world.

I'd get comments like "WHY YOUR FACE LIDAT?? HAHAHAHA"
I'll have friends who LOVE taking candid shots of me and then I'll just log in to facebook, wait for them to tag me and I'd remove the tags as soon as possible.

I'm not just unphotogenic, but also untelegenic.
When I took an acting class few years back and my "showreel" was shown, everyone just started guffawing when they saw my face on screen. I just felt so bad.
Yet in person I DO look decent.

I'm also starting to build my resume for THEATER acting, but theres alot more oppurtunities for SCREEN acting than Theater. So without any acting credentials to put in my resume, theres almost no chance to compete with actors who have a vast amount of acting experience, be it screen or theater.

I get tips like smile more. My nose is a little on the fleshy side so smiling more would only make my bad feature worse. In fact, after completing the acting class, we had to take 2 profile shots. 1 smiling and 1 not smiling. I tried to be natural and all that in my smile (Think Happy Thoughts - advice from Australia's Next Top Model), and the girl who took my photo said "REALLY???!" after she took the picture of me smiling.

I am very passionate about fashion and of course I watch America's Next Top Model and Australia's Next Top Model, and yes I follow all the tips. SMIZE. SMIZE. SMIZE. Think Happy Thoughts. Look down and close your eyes, then look up and open yr eyes.

But my GOD. I can't even try to look 90% of what I look like in person.

I even had PROFESSIONAL photographers who took pictures of me (Graduation/Family Wedding Photos) and even they themselves can't help but burst into laughter the moment they see my picture and I'd get scolded for spoiling the family photo etc.
I get scolded by my family, and even the PHOTOGRAPHER.

I will attach 3 of my pics which I think are decent. But still these isn't what I look like in person. In fact, these are the "DRUGGY" comments that I get from people.

I dare not even post up those pics that are Horrifying and make people burst out in laughter because those have been deleted not just from my facebook but from my memory. I'm just concerned because it is not just hurting to my feelings, but also my dream of being a theater actor and just building up a resume will suffer due to my inability to take a decent photograph, or even looking like a normal human being on film.

*I have friends (J and E) who are professional photographers and they do surf clubsnap so it's inevitable that they'll see this post. Hey if you see my pics and post here, please please, keep my identity a secret*

I have followed the clubsnap rule and uploaded the 3 pictures under "Gallery". I hope it's viewable.
These are the 3 pictures of me that look "Druggy". I only have these 3 pictures on my Facebook cuz I think at least they resemble me but yes I get the "Druggy" comments alot.

If you want the really horrible ones that make people burst out laughing, I will try to find some in my friends/family's profile. They have ALOT which I untagged.

I am just looking for advice so that I can have a proper profile pic of myself taken so that I can put it on my resume for my theater acting auditions. I think nothing can be done about how monstrous I look like on screen. Learning to take a good photograph can be learnt and theres always digital Imaging, but being untelegenic, I think there's no hope.

And I am prepared to pay to get a picture that will resemble myself rather than Mr Bean when I renew my subscription at AADB (Asia's Actor Database).

Last edited:
I am unable to post the links due to me being new on clubsnap. I have uploaded it in galleries in the gallery clubsnap like I'm supposed to. And I have the titles as My "Druggy" and "Scary" looking photos.

And please will a mod change the title to VERY UNPHOTOGENIC. Because this is what I'm supposed to type as the title. This is really embarassing. Gosh I wish I can dig a hole and hide.

Last edited:
I need to have more than 50 posts to post links as I'm new.

And I don't want to spam.

You can click on Member Galleries -> Unpretty. And I have my 3 pics up.

Again if a mod sees this please change the title to UNPHOTOGENIC. I'm a digging a hole in the ground right now to hide my face. Hahaha.

I'll get suan like mad when my photog friend comes in and sees this. Hahaha! Gosh......

here you go.

Me_Druggy_2.jpg

Me_Druggy.jpg

DRUGGGGGYYYYYY.jpg

you need to show some teeth and SMILE.

don't tilt your head up. it makes you look aloof.

AND. if this thread was started because you want to bash the person in the pic, in which case it just means it isn't you...

then good luck!

I mentioned that I look terrible when I smile because of my fleshy nose.

Ok I will take note of the fact and not tilt my head up. And this person IS me and these are the pics where I mention look closer to what I do in life (But still not really 100%), yet I get the DRUGGY and SCARY comments which hurt me and my ability to get into theater.

Big thanks to ORTEGA for helping me with the change of title.

If there's any PHOTOG who will shoot me for my Actor's Profile, let me know. I WILL PAY. But I can't do it anytime soon. I'll only be free about 2-3 weeks from now

Last edited:
notice that the head is tilted in the same way (don't do it)
eyes are listless (druggy look)
face is expressionless (druggy look)

so go and try something else like
different head tilt
more expression
different angle for eyes, not sure what to do for this

the no smile sat sat boh cho look does not suit you

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming.

How do I create more "Energy" in the eyes. Yes Tyra Banks says SMIZE but.....ACCCCK I don't know how to do it.
What is a good way to tilt the head? I also noticed that my head is always tilted that way.

I'm actually quite expressive in person, I laugh alot but these translate HORRENDOUSLY on the photographs. And these are the ones that make people guffaw when they see me.

And then I also have the unglam pics of me during steamboat putting a fishball inside my mouth which my friends are more than happy to tag.

Unpretty said:
I mentioned that I look terrible when I smile because of my rather big nose.

Ok I will take note of the fact and not tilt my head up. And this person IS me and these are the pics where I mention look closer to what I do in life, yet I get the DRUGGY and SCARY comments which hurt me and my ability to get into theater.

First did anyone commented u look bad when u smile? Or perhaps that is what u feel of yourself? If it is just you yourself feeling so, then proceed to give light smile. Reveal abit of your teeth. Ask ur family which they prefer. I am pretty sure they will prefer you smile then now u just look too cool.

Also take note of your posture. Stand straight, open your legs slightly like ur shoulder length when standing. Lean forward slightly, don't put your weight backwards. Put your face slightly downwards, raise your eyes vision above when ur face is pointing slightly downwards.

I am sure u will look better with a smile. Don't give that bochap look.

You are male, with male features. Following ANTM advice for slim, sharp-boned females will not do you any good.

You are overthinking it, and trying to look like Tyra Banks, which just does not work for you.

think of happy thoughts (the things you enjoy doing) when you are posing, like what next clothes you will buy, next country you wanted to visit...and act natural, don't be conscious, loosen up!
tell you bro, your features aren't that bad, dont worry about that.... :)

First did anyone commented u look bad when u smile? Or perhaps that is what u feel of yourself? If it is just you yourself feeling so, then proceed to give light smile. Reveal abit of your teeth. Ask ur family which they prefer. I am pretty sure they will prefer you smile then now u just look too cool.

Also take note of your posture. Stand straight, open your legs slightly like ur shoulder length when standing. Lean forward slightly, don't put your weight backwards. Put your face slightly downwards, raise your eyes vision above when ur face is pointing slightly downwards.

I am sure u will look better with a smile. Don't give that bochap look.

They dont comment that I look bad when I smile. They laugh.

I will practice revealing my teeth a little bit in front of the mirror when Im back from work. And also the tips for the posture....thank you so much David. I will definitely take note of all these.

I think part of the "druggy" look also comes from your pale complexion and dark eye ring/ eye bags. Before shooting your portfolio shoot, apply some make-up so that you look less pale. Also, if you are serious about becoming a model/actor, you are expected to take good care of your skin/face. If you remove the eye bags and dark rings, you would instantly look less "druggy".

got the hossan leong look going on.

I will take note of all the advice.

I'll get a concealer and apply it under my eyes.

I do have very deep dimples which are a total waste because I look bad when I smile. Because I'm conscious of my nose which is fleshy. When I smile, yes theres dimples but my nose will look bigger. And there's only room for 1 Jacky Chan in this world.
But like I said, I will follow all the advice, slowly revealing my teeth and such and see if theres any improvement (I hope I look as cute as Boo the Dog when I reveal my teeth)

I have a day job (Stock broking) and besides my jazz piano course and theater acting lessons and self studying books after books on acting techniques, I have worked so very hard and it is my dream to work with local theater greats like Adrian Pang, Lim Kay Tong, Kay Siu, Ivan Heng etc etc and I'm afraid that just because I cannot get a good photo I wont even get asked for an audition.

Keep the tips coming. They are very helpful and I appreciate them so much. Believe me I will take every criticism and comments to heart and will work on them.

Also lastly, as I mentioned, a kind and patient photographer who is willing to do my actor's profile photo is needed. I WILL PAY.

Last edited:
I think part of the "druggy" look also comes from your pale complexion and dark eye ring/ eye bags. Before shooting your portfolio shoot, apply some make-up so that you look less pale. Also, if you are serious about becoming a model/actor, you are expected to take good care of your skin/face. If you remove the eye bags and dark rings, you would instantly look less "druggy".

'm actually slightly tanned. But I don't know why I look so washed out in pictures. I moisturise and i do use vouchers from deal dot com or groupon for facial treatments.
Theater acting is what Im pursuing. Definitely not modeling. I'm definitely not hot enough!!

Eleveninth -> I hope I will be as successful as Hossan one day. I missed the oppurtunity to learn under him before. I hope I get to act along side him someday, even if I'm supposed to act as a swaying tree or something. hahaha!

Last edited: