Very Stupid Question.. But pls help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianmole

Feb 12, 2005
Hello everyone.

I'm a new member and I think I must be the most stupid CS member. :cry:
I got a Canon Powershot S45 and I want to buy Compact Flash for my camera. My questions:-

(a) I heard there's a Type I and Type II for Compact Flash cards.. What should I get for my PS S45?? :embrass:

(b) Secondly, what is the most reliable brand of CFC would you recommend? Thank you everyone.. and sorry for having to read my silly question. :embrass:

Hi adrianmole, welcome to the community.

Just get one of those regular Kingston CFs ... 1GB should cost slightly above S$100 ... and no I don't the questions stupid at all ... very legitimate to me ... ;)

I still feel very silly. :embrass:

Kingston CFCs? Regular ones means Type I or Type II?
Can Kingston CFCs withstand below 0 degrees? I want to bring my digicam to Mt Titlis. :)

It's a Type I.

The website claims that it can withstand down to 0 degree celsius but I've used mine at under 0 degree celsius before. Whether you can shoot in cold weather is also dependant on other factors ... your batteries and such ...

Type II is thicker, and is actually a mini HDD (hence with moving parts).

check your cam's manual to see if it is compatible with CF type II. If not explicitly stated, then most likely it's not.

Reliable brands are lexar, sandisk, transcend....not in order of reliability, and of cos there are others.

CF Type II is not necessary a mini-HDD or MicroDrive. Flash memory CF Type II is also available, but they are rarer now. So you don't have to worry. Most of the sub 4GB CF cards you get in the market are CF Type 1.

Regards
CK

sandisk, lexar

kingston brand is more than enof. me using too. :)

adrianmole said:
Hello everyone.

I got a Canon Powershot S45 and I want to buy Compact Flash for my camera. My questions:-

(a) I heard there's a Type I and Type II for Compact Flash cards.. What should I get for my PS S45?? :embrass:

(b) Secondly, what is the most reliable brand of CFC would you recommend? Thank you everyone.. and sorry for having to read my silly question. :embrass:

Dont think there is a Type II CF sold now, at least not in shops.
MicroDrives are as thick as Type II too.
(Warning: Not all digicams who can take Type II CF can take a MicroDrive, check ur manual)

The MicroDrives are mini Harddisks and generate more heat. the camera may not take it.

CFC?
Compact Flash Cards? Most of us call it "CF" for short.
or the last meaning of CFC i know is
Chloroflurocarbons. (CFC) the things that harm the ozone layer of the earth...lol

CFC used to stand for California Fried Chicken too, years back. yummy.
Okie okie,... :bsmilie:

for S45, you will not need a expensive high speed one, so rule out sandisk Ultra II and Lexar, unless ur rich....then thats a diff story.

Hagiwara and Kingstons are pretty good. Transcend is good too.
I dont like NCP for personal reasons. but I guess since they are RAM makers the CF they make cant be That bad.

adrianmole said:
Hello everyone.

It's better to ask questions here then know nothing about it & buy! u know i bought a 2 gig CF card for $400 :rolleyes: , after then i think it's not worth for what i pay for. so check out 1st before u buy :think:

Type I = thinner size of type II. <- corrected.

Type II = Credit size length, old regular name call PCMCIA card use for notebook peecee. 32bit spec version is call CardBus. U can buy a Type II adapter to insert a CF card to insert into your notebook without the need of a USB reader etc. <- corrected.

Type III = double the thickness of Type II. Eg. Xircom use to have a ethernet/modem PCMCIA card that use 2 PCMCIA Type II slot or there are type III flash memory HDD that occupied 2 x type II PCMCIA. The thickness of Type III is roughly about the thickness of 2.5" HDD.

Thank you everyone for replying to my post. I've noted that the brands recommended are Kingston, Sandisk, Lexar, Hagiwara and Transcend. Now... need to make sure I get them at the cheapest price. ;)
Really appreciate your comments and advises. :)

hazekang, Mt Titlis is in Switzerland. Can't wait! :)

whoelse said:
Type I = half size of type II. Those we see use on PDA/Dcam.

Type II = Credit size length, old regular name call PCMCIA card use for notebook peecee. 32bit spec version is call PC Card. U can buy a Type II adapter to insert a Type I card to insert into your notebook without the need of a USB reader etc.

Type III = double the thickness of Type II. Eg. Xircom use to have a ethernet/modem PCMCIA card that use 2 PCMCIA Type II slot or there are type III flash memory HDD that occupied 2 x type II PCMCIA. The thickness of Type III is roughly about the thickness of 2.5" HDD.

You are all WRONG!!

People are talking about Compact Flash Card here.

adrianmole said:
Thank you everyone for replying to my post. I've noted that the brands recommended are Kingston, Sandisk, Lexar, Hagiwara and Transcend. Now... need to make sure I get them at the cheapest price. ;)
Really appreciate your comments and advises. :)

hazekang, Mt Titlis is in Switzerland. Can't wait! :)
The sandisk 'extreme' is build for colder situation. Pay a bit more for such specs rather than getting the normal ones. The battery is another key weak point. Do bring extra - they do not last as long when cold.

Rainforest said:
The :bsmilie: question :bsmilie: is :bsmilie: not :bsmilie: stupid :bsmilie: afterall
Stupidity rules the world. All great thing start with stupidity being the catayst. Those who don't know and yet don't ask is the ultimate stupidity!
look at Forrest Grump, he's one hell of a stupid fool ... Haha..

I think you're gonna get problems with batteries etc, you better research on cold weather photography, as well as condensation issues, sudden temperature differentials (eg; from the cold, open in a warm log cabin)

loupgarou said:
I think you're gonna get problems with batteries etc, you better research on cold weather photography, as well as condensation issues, sudden temperature differentials (eg; from the cold, open in a warm log cabin)

I'm going up Mt Titlis for a few hours only. I won't be spending my entire holiday there. I remembered reading in some photopgraphy forums that S45 can withstand cold.. not extreme cold though.

Perhaps, I should buy a P&S camera when I'm going up Mt Titlis... Comments?? :think:

Anyone selling Olympus Mju II, let me know. I might be interested to buy this for my trip. Thanks! ;)

i juz came back from korea....

at -15 deg....my normal digi still worked..... the prob is the batt drain..... but i dun know about yours though...

anyway good to get a disposal camera or something as a backup there ya....

btw....only the unasked question is stewpid..... so no worries here....

cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.