Very sharp photos and rich colour

Status
Not open for further replies.

singdude

Dec 22, 2005
Newcastle (UK)
Hi all,

Having gone through numerous thread with photos and visted member's photo gallery, I have noticed that the photos they have taken are extremendly outstanding which seems to me quite impossible to duplicate. Rich color, sharp and crisp, well composed, well xposed and etc.

Can anybody shed some light as to what are the factor that plays part in capturing the above mention attributes and also, is it really essentially to buy spotlight meter.

Thanks

My guess is that other than photography skills, post-processing by software (such as photoshop) also plays a major part in this digital world.

But still one needs good source. I am familiar with photoshop and am aware that in order to really produce outstanding photo, the source has to be good too.

QUOTE=Clockunder]My guess is that other than photography skills, post-processing by software (such as photoshop) also plays a major part in this digital world.[/QUOTE]

someone posted about (digital) sharpness here:
http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=170246

as for exposure, that one er, i guess it take practice and experience. composition even more practice and experience!

as for colour, it starts with the characteristics of your sensor + the wb used, after that it's post processing, most pple use photoshop, and that too, takes practice. just keep trying, reading up, plenty of resources online on how to use photoshop.

singdude said:
But still one needs good source. I am familiar with photoshop and am aware that in order to really produce outstanding photo, the source has to be good too.

Good equipments (especially the lenses) also play a part too. Without them, it's technically more difficult to get the right composition and exposure.

It's the result of everything ....... from photography skills to photoshop skills to equipment.

Thank you Joho for your prompt reply. Have to admit that forum is so educational in educating newbie like. So many experienced photogrpaher's knowledge and willingness to share makes it the best photography forum !!!

I assume you would like to be able to take picture like those you refer to. There is only one way, shoot alot, your skill imporves and your understanding of the capabilities of your equipments improves. By the way, your first 5k pictures will prob look bad, the next 5k will prob look not so good, then, the 3rd 5k, maybe a bit of improvement .... no substitution for shooting more

agree with Deadpoet on shooting more.

pre-digital time, too expensive to shoot.:sweat:

digital time, no time to shoot.:bsmilie: :cry:

also, read more. read from a book about shooting with simple blocks of different shapes, size and color. arrange the block to give a dynamic feel, than try arranging them to give a homonius (wrong spelling) feel, using the shapes and color.:sweat:

Good compostion, framing, exposure come with experience. Takes time to develop an eye for detail and aesthetics. Even then its still a little hit and miss... just that you'll get more and much better hits. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Shrapness, colour etc are basically equipment. Though technique plays an important part in ensuring sharpness, the stuff you use make a difference. And of course photoshop and a good working knowledge on how to use it is essential.

The shots you cited are very good... but attainable as far as sharpness and colour are concerned. Compostion and even exposure are a matter of personal style and taste... shouldn't try to be a copy cat.

A light meter isn't essential unless you're shooting professionally. You're better off spending the $$ on books or lessons. Those will yield better results than a light/flash meter.

Thank you !

I m very confident with my photoshop skill ;) : thanks to my numerous trip to JB for photoshop related tutorial shopping @ City Square.

I will heed your advice and read plenty of books on photography and also have plenty of hands on with applying them

:D

Slap on a circular polarizer and you'll probably see increased richness of color in just about any shot from any lens.

Other things like composition and/ or 'artistic ability' needs to be learn over time. I still haven't gotten it yet. :sweatsm:

But a caveat is that a polarizer reduces reflections from surfaces, which means you may not be able to get the same result as those seen in the link you provided. In other cases though, a polarizer will give bluer skies and seas (assuming you can find a blue sea in Singapore), and more saturated colors.

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my lens, but the front rotates during focussing, which means I'll need to manually adjust the polarizer each time.

singdude said:
Hi all,

Having gone through numerous thread with photos and visted member's photo gallery, I have noticed that the photos they have taken are extremendly outstanding which seems to me quite impossible to duplicate. Rich color, sharp and crisp, well composed, well xposed and etc.

Can anybody shed some light as to what are the factor that plays part in capturing the above mention attributes and also, is it really essentially to buy spotlight meter.

Thanks

learn to appreciate other forms of art, not just song & dance but nature and product design, etc. dun need to go to art musuems, can also go furniture shops, electrical shops. look for products that attract u artistically with texture/shape/form. nature already gives us the essential design composites. if u can make a photograph that can invoke memories of a sunset, is that not fantastic?

read more books, study how writers make u visualise the scene, an action, a colour, a smell, a texture-rough, smooth, a taste. how do u do the same with a photograph?

walking on the street, watch how people behave, watch how things interact. u r shooting for human being, not animals or aliens. what stimulates u stimulates other humans.

everything u see, see with your mind, visualise lighting, angles of composition, do a rough mental sketch, file it away. the next time u actually make a proper shoot, remember all that sketches and try to incorporate those ideas in.

what makes something attractive to u is that u can relate to it. something that intrigues u is somthing that tickles a relation. and something that totally boggles evryone else is something noone can relate to. try not to think of showing what is infront of u, but what is inside ur mind. there is nothing attractive about showing us what reality is, but what u make reality to be.

a spotmeter can only help u make accurate light readings. how u use those light readings is another matter.

Hear hear...and I'm not even nearing my 5k...4675 to go...:)

Manager888 said:
Friend, do you mean buying pirated stuff..??

Haha its best not to air such things in a public forum... u never know who's reading
:nono:

foxtwo said:
learn to appreciate other forms of art, not just song & dance but nature and product design, etc. dun need to go to art musuems, can also go furniture shops, electrical shops. look for products that attract u artistically with texture/shape/form. nature already gives us the essential design composites. if u can make a photograph that can invoke memories of a sunset, is that not fantastic?

read more books, study how writers make u visualise the scene, an action, a colour, a smell, a texture-rough, smooth, a taste. how do u do the same with a photograph?

walking on the street, watch how people behave, watch how things interact. u r shooting for human being, not animals or aliens. what stimulates u stimulates other humans.

everything u see, see with your mind, visualise lighting, angles of composition, do a rough mental sketch, file it away. the next time u actually make a proper shoot, remember all that sketches and try to incorporate those ideas in.

what makes something attractive to u is that u can relate to it. something that intrigues u is somthing that tickles a relation. and something that totally boggles evryone else is something noone can relate to. try not to think of showing what is infront of u, but what is inside ur mind. there is nothing attractive about showing us what reality is, but what u make reality to be.

a spotmeter can only help u make accurate light readings. how u use those light readings is another matter.
i applaud you, well said

Status
Not open for further replies.