Very nice bike race photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
nah, those are my newbie shots. you should wait for the not-so-new newbies and experienced photogs' shots instead... :)

just a lucky panning shot of one of my nus rider friends
IMG_0998.jpg

the rest is up at http://sehsuan.clubsnap.org/saca-mtb-race-2003/

Originally posted by sehsuan
nah, those are my newbie shots. you should wait for the not-so-new newbies and experienced photogs' shots instead... :)

Saw a lot of people there, can't wait to see those official photographer's photos. Any clue if they'll be publish? Must be much better.

:)

Hello
I went to your gallery
Instead of making viewers see the blur shots of the cyclists w/ sharp backgrounds... wouldn't it be nicer to extract those outstanding ones??

Just my 2 cents for those who actually went through 16 pages... or so of your gallery:devil:

Originally posted by Cherlyn
Hello
I went to your gallery
Instead of making viewers see the blur shots of the cyclists w/ sharp backgrounds... wouldn't it be nicer to extract those outstanding ones??

Just my 2 cents for those who actually went through 16 pages... or so of your gallery:devil:

it would be better if you could take the trouble to shoot for saturday instead of general comments like that. anyway, if you can't be committed, don't be.

it would be better if you could take the trouble to shoot for saturday instead of general comments like that. anyway, if you can't be committed, don't be.

Sehsuan... :nono:

First call mate... her comment was valid. If you wish to share your shots, then do so but understand that people will have their say... and so long it doesn't go out of hand, it's fair game.

Don't take it too personally. Keep your eyes firmly in the viewfinder...

ALL OF US AGREE TO OUR ROOSTER DUTY WHEN I ARRANGE THE MEETING AND NOW YOU MADE SUCH REMARKS. YOU REALLY TOUCH MY NERVE.

Oops
My apologies

:vhappy:

1st, I took the trouble to visit your gallery

2nd, this is a voluntary basis. It does not mean that I am required to be there on Saturday.

3rd, you as a photographer, I expect you to understand and have the decency to remove the blur shots with sharp backgrounds as this reflects highly on your skill and knowledge on photography.

I hope your biking skill is better than your photography.

Cheers! :cheergal:

Originally posted by Stylus C34
Saw a lot of people there, can't wait to see those official photographer's photos. Any clue if they'll be publish? Must be much better.

they will be published, but i do not have the information, apologies. :)

Originally posted by Wryer
Not a bad a series, Sehsuan! Can feel the 'action' of the bikers.

thank you Wryer. this being my first time at a MTB event, most shots are experimental. i'm probably looking at a maximum "keeper" rate of 30% of the shots, but that may be far too optimistic. :p

Hello
I went to your gallery

you may want to know that i publish all the photos for a reason - the bikers themselves don't usually get to see even a fleeting shadow of themselves during a race, usually. too many racers, too few photogs. even a totally blurred shot can be considered memorable for the riders - my galleries are for the riders, not only for the photogs to document an event. this is my style.

Wolfgang, i hope this is a more formal and curt reply you were expecting of me :)

Oops
My apologies

:vhappy:

1st, I took the trouble to visit your gallery

2nd, this is a voluntary basis. It does not mean that I am required to be there on Saturday.

3rd, you as a photographer, I expect you to understand and have the decency to remove the blur shots with sharp backgrounds as this reflects highly on your skill and knowledge on photography.

I hope your biking skill is better than your photography.

1. you don't have to, really. i'm a newbie. the pages are meant for the riders, actually, but since the internet is so well linked, anybody can just access it.

2. surely volunteering could mean that for me, a fellow volunteer, you could ahve saved me trouble trying to reach you, so that i can pass you your carpass?

3. i have the decency - i could choose to only field the best shots i have, so that people can get the false impression that i'm a "good photographer", while i am not. but as expressed above, it's for the riders, to basically see how they look like even in a race situation. i'm a person who fails miserably at composition - what i strive to capture is the action. also, because of my newbie status, i am doing experimental shots, trying to replicate a little inspiration from what i've read from cycling magazines. surely that isn't too much to ask for, is it?

and by placing myself at different spots, i have even managed to communicate with the riders for sunday especially - when they knew i was squatting/lying on the field area off a flat "ramp", most of them intuitively did small hucks/jumps off the ramp for me to shoot - now, whether i could catch that huck/jump in the camera, that's up to my eye-hand coordination and the camera. but at least i am very much satisfied that i can communicate with the riders, as well as that they actually willingly do hucks/jumps off the ramp because they know a photographer is there. how else can i do it if i did not do what i did?

and no, my biking skills are far worse than my photography. that's why i don't race, and would rather help out in any other way i can.

markccm, i assume you are talking about the above photo? set to slow shutter (about 1/90, or 1/60 if you're more adventurous), use flash, and do a panning shot when the riders are taking a curve in the trail. there was an effect of the immediate zooming out on the lens, if you look at the picture. hope this helps. :)

Commitment?? Dude i dun think you know wat you are talking abt. The meeting KnightHunter organise you were there and you keep quiet all the way. well in the 1st place, what commitment you are talking about tat David miss??

look yes you may have a huge collection of shots but tat doesnt mean squat. It is NOT QUANTITY tat counts but QUALITY.

If you are saying thoses shots with sharp background and blur subject to b acceptable i hereby regret to say tat you dun even have the pride in what you do let alone b the Offically Photographer in the event.

It is just another reflection of what you are capable of since you dun apperciate other people's advise and pointers in this forum (which has been proven) have you even wonder why do you still post in CS?? it is cos u wan comments like WAHHHHHHHHHHH ?? if yes then mayb you are in the wrong forum here. We in CS are here to grow with 1 another not here you make you feel good but i guess you can show your pics in togoparts instead of CS. I believe they would apperciate your effort in shoot and capturing the actions rather then making sure your photography funtamentals are rite

Originally posted by jeffgoh
Commitment?? Dude i dun think you know wat you are talking abt. The meeting KnightHunter organise you were there and you keep quiet all the way. well in the 1st place, what commitment you are talking about tat David miss??

look yes you may have a huge collection of shots but tat doesnt mean squat. It is NOT QUANTITY tat counts but QUALITY.

If you are saying thoses shots with with sharp background and blur subject to b acceptable i hereby regret to say tat you dun even have the pride in what you do let alone b the Offically Photographer in the event.

It is just another reflection of what you are capable of since you dun apperciate other people's advise and pointers in this forum (which has been proven) have you even wonder why do you still post in CS?? it is cos u wan comments like WAHHHHHHHHHHH ?? if yes then mayb you are in the wrong forum here. We in CS are here to grow with 1 another not here you make you feel good but i guess you can show your pics in togoparts instead of CS. I believe they would apperciate your effort in shoot and capturing the actions rather then making sure your photography funtamentals are rite

:thumbsup:

But... why bother? :p

jeff, the section about commitment, i have made a grieve mistake, i admit it. what i was worked up was that cherlyn made a remark that sounds like she had to go through 16 pages of compulsory visual torture of my photos. i should have explained earlier, the photos, good or not good, are meant for the competitiors, even better if other bikers like them too. because in the end, it's myself i'm trying to satisfy - i'm not shooting professionally. anyway, that's the agreement with the organizers.

i don't *need* praises, though they can be a nice thing. all i ever wanted is to share my viewpoint of the world through my eyes - no two people can ever, ever think exactly alike, but there only exist similiarities.

yes, i can have quality shots, given adequate practice. but we're all fairly fresh into photography, how to do a "one-shot-one-kill" hit rate? how do you learn to shoot panning photos without even having at least one off-focus panning attempt? can you do fantastic macro shots on your first time using an underwater camera on your first open water dive? i agree though, that shots with sharp backgrounds and off-focus subjects are ridiculous, but how do you master a camera for panning shots on your first attempt? can you assure me, the first time you tried everything, all was successful? i'm in the *learning* stage now, and i am experimenting things to see and learn how they all come into one piece. some things i personally can't learn just by reading and reading forever - i have got to do the practical aspect too - by shooting! that's exactly why i didn't want to start off with film, because i would have missed more stuff that i would like to. like it or not, the human learning process involves making mistakes as part of the process. i'm still making my big errors, faults, and everything, but if no one enjoys my shots, fine. but i'm shooting, posting the pictures on my site, and taking orders for prints from those people who want them - it's a win-win situation for everyone! unless the viewer hates my shots for not following composition, then he/she has a free choice to look elsewhere - there are plenty of other people shooting, anyway.

personally, i admit i dont read too much about composition - why? because to me, for my slow reaction speed, if i think about composition, *the* moment that i so much wanted to capture is gone. it's similar that pro photogs have "keepers" and discarded shots - why? why not only one single shot? surely, there must be a reason, don't you think so?

i do indeed appreciate feedback, since that is the logical way that people learn, by social interactions - but i see clubsnap as a place where people share the common interest of photography, not just solely nitpicking.

togu, why bother yourself with posting on this thread anyway, if you ask yourself, "why bother?".

they will be published, but i do not have the information, apologies. :)

I see, thanks. :)

togu, why bother yourself with posting on this thread anyway, if you ask yourself, "why bother?".

Er.. I think togu's "why bother?" is not asking why Jeff is posting in this post, sounds more like asking "Why bother to explains so much" Not sure if I'm wrong. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.