very efficient indeed...

d2xpeter

Deregistered
Dec 6, 2012
singapore
but are we getting to the root cause of the problem???

just yesterday, another innocent pedestrian got dragged under a bus.

Fullscreen+capture+4242013+12552+PM.jpg

What do cement mixers and trailers and expressways have to do with the other incident you mentioned?

What do cement mixers and trailers and expressways have to do with the other incident you mentioned?

I think to him a bus is just another "heavy vehicle" LOL

oh, you mean a double-decker bus is not considered a heavy vehicle??

This is the definition from one-motoring site.

Definition of Heavy Vehicle

"Heavy Vehicle" means -

any heavy goods vehicle or concrete mixer, the maximum laden weight of which exceeds 5,000 kilograms;
any bus with a seating capacity of more than 15 persons, not inclusive of the driver;
any trailer, container trailer, low loader or flat-bed trailer, the maximum laden weight of which exceeds 5,000 kilograms; and
any mobile crane or recovery vehicle the unladen weight of which exceeds 2,500 kilograms.

nah... he's just saying...

that only heavy vehicles run over people and are a menace to society

errr duhhhhh.... dude, buses HAVE to ply residential areas to pick up and drop passangers..... if you force buses to only use highway then how?

Move the bus stops and waiting passangers to reloate to the highways ??

and the massive facepalm award goes to..

[video=youtube;itAOGRiYRLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itAOGRiYRLI[/video]

D2XPETER!

for always giving us the chance to do a facepalm

Anyways my thinking very simple,
- Some buses already use highway, and if heavy vehicles can use during non peak hours should be ok.
- If talking about highway, there are no pedestrians there..

But Ed's post reminds me that I'm not sure what point dx2peter is trying to make..

I wonder what is the reason(s) the vehicles needs permit in the first place. :think:

I wonder what is the reason(s) the vehicles needs permit in the first place. :think:

because they're big, bulky and move slowly. hence to use the expressway, they need to apply for a permit.

Need to get into the root cause and think of a solution, for example LTA can use all red/pedestrian crossing on busy traffic light intersection. On such intersection, there is one single pedestrian phase rather than usual two. When pedestrian phase comes on, all the vehicles on 4 sides will stop and pedestrian and cross the road, they can even choose to cross diagonally if they want too, this had been in practice in downtown Auckland since the early 80s.

Need to get into the root cause and think of a solution, for example LTA can use all red/pedestrian crossing on busy traffic light intersection. On such intersection, there is one single pedestrian phase rather than usual two. When pedestrian phase comes on, all the vehicles on 4 sides will stop and pedestrian and cross the road, they can even choose to cross diagonally if they want too, this had been in practice in downtown Auckland since the early 80s.

But do you know what is the perceived problem here? I am not clear what it is, is it: Congestion? Innocent pedestrians being mowed down? Whether heavy vehicles have a place on expressway?!

because they're big, bulky and move slowly. hence to use the expressway, they need to apply for a permit.

As far as I know, only mobile cranes and extraordinary loads are banned from using expressways. Trailers, low beds, cement mixers, tipper trucks, lorry cranes, etc are still using them.

and these things can be fast if they wanted to........

The best designed system will have flaws as long as we use them. To err is human. Cars (trucks and buses) don't kill. Only people kill people. Mind you, drivers are not at fault all the time. Not insinuating anything though.

As far as I know, only mobile cranes and extraordinary loads are banned from using expressways. Trailers, low beds, cement mixers, tipper trucks, lorry cranes, etc are still using them.

and these things can be fast if they wanted to........

but they have a speed limit slapped on them to prevent accidents. ever noticed the stickers? if one of them exceeds their assigned speed limit and is caught, they'll be fined.

ONE.MOTORING - Excluded vehicles on expressways

well, the list from LTA pretty much said those vehicles I mentioned earlier are not allowed on expressways :bsmilie:

so regardless of speed they travel in, they are still breaking the law.

well, the list from LTA pretty much said those vehicles I mentioned earlier are not allowed on expressways :bsmilie:

so regardless of speed they travel in, they are still breaking the law.

unless they had a permit, which must be shown to authorities when requested.

Under Road Traffic (Use of Expressway By Excluded Vehicles) Rules 2010, no excluded vehicles shall be driven or allowed to be on any part of an expressway. However, an authorisation may be granted to excluded vehicles to travel along the expressway on occasions deemed fit by the Authority.

When travelling on expressways, the permit must be readily available in the vehicle for checks by LTA at all times.

huh >>> ???

errr duhhhhh.... dude, buses HAVE to ply residential areas to pick up and drop passangers..... if you force buses to only use highway then how?

Move the bus stops and waiting passangers to reloate to the highways ??

if the unthinkable happens (bus stops at highways lol), TS will probably start another thread on "very efficient indeed..." part 2.