Very confused!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eedwinn

May 20, 2009
Hi everyone! I am a complete newbie here who is planning to get my own DSLR after being influenced by the pictures here! :sweat: I had initially considered a prosumer camera but changed my mind after reading reviews on them and feel that they aren't what I really want.

Hope someone will be able to answer my questions!

1) Having a exhilarating number of models in the market now, I am really torn between a few of them. Namely Nikon's D5000, Canon's 500D and also Sony's a300. I am really not familiar with the technical terms. But from what I've found out, these are the entry level DSLR right? Do you guys think these few models I've mentioned are suitable for beginners? Please also state other models which you guys want to recommend.

My budget will hopefully be below S$1,200. Pictures I will mostly take are landscapes, portraits and will definitely explore other areas slowly in the near future!

2) I've saw the price list that they separated body only and and kit. What is the difference between these two? Does the kit means it includes lenses? If so, if the kit essential for newbies like me or is the body only sufficient?

3) Where would be a good place for me the try out the above-mentioned cameras? I've been to some electronics stores but seems like they don't have any on displays for us to try out? Preferably some place where I can try them out own time own target and do not need to trouble the sales person as I can get very indecisive. :bsmilie:

4) I've also learnt that most pictures need to be edited to make it "perfect". Can anyone tell me if those softwares have to be purchased separately or do they come together with the camera I will buy?

I'll add more questions when I've thought about them. Thanks all for the time!

Last edited:
For most of the questions, there are no "right" or "wrong" answers. For some of them, you might need to try and establish your own preference.

Hi everyone! I am a complete newbie here who is planning to get my own DSLR after being influenced by the pictures here! :sweat: I had initially considered a prosumer camera but changed my mind after reading reviews on them and feel that they aren't what I really want.

1) Having a exhilarating number of models in the market now, I am really torn between a few of them. Namely Nikon's D5000, Canon's 500D and also Sony's a300. I am really not familiar with the technical terms. But from what I've found out, these are the entry level DSLR right? Do you guys think these few models I've mentioned are suitable for beginners? Please also state other models which you guys want to recommend.

Yes, these are entry level DSLRs. One of the main considerations for getting DSLR is the availability of lenses, unless you intend to stick to only one. Pentax, Panasonic and Olympus make DSLRs too. You can check them out at the major electronic shops (like HN, BEST) or wait for the upcoming PC show.

My budget will hopefully be below S$1,200. Pictures I will mostly take are landscapes, portraits and will definitely explore other areas slowly in the near future!

Sufficient for an entry-level DSLR.

2) I've saw the price list that they separated body only and and kit. What is the difference between these two? Does the kit means it includes lenses? If so, if the kit essential for newbies like me or is the body only sufficient?

Kit normallly means a camera body and a lens. Not sure if the entry level DSLRs is sold as body only.

3) Where would be a good place for me the try out the above-mentioned cameras? I've been to some electronics stores but seems like they don't have any on displays for us to try out? Preferably some place where I can try them out own time own target and do not need to trouble the sales person as I can get very indecisive. :bsmilie:

Refer to 1) In addition, you can try Nikon showroom (Xerox towers) or Canon showroom (Viviocity).

4) I've also learnt that most pictures need to be edited to make it "perfect". Can anyone tell me if those softwares have to be purchased separately or do they come together with the camera I will buy?

If you tweak your camera settings right, the pictures can be used, or printed right away. Some popular editing software are Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. I use Irfanview. :)

Get a cam that feels "RIGHT" in your hands. U need to go feel, hold and handle the cam. No point listening to ppl saying oh the D90 or the 1000D is a great cam but it feels awkward in yr hands and tht might affect your shooting.

As for software, you have to buy them seperately, nikon might give a trial copy of their capture nx but it's only useable for a month. If u can't afford an editing software, get those free ones online like GIMP or PICASA.

Hope you manage to find the right cam and awaiting your pics once u get them.!!! GOOD LUCK!

You seem to be a complete newbie in photography.

Yes, DSLR is a better option if you are in for the long term. However if you have tendency to abandon hobby I suggest you think again about prosumer camera (it will cost you less). You can still learn composition and proper exposure using prosumer camera. Some even allow you to learn some manual settings.

Yes there are cheap entry level but you really get what you pay. Entry level are only sold with kit lense. Some brand kit lense is better than the other. Mid level and Pro level camera may be sold body only. Different shop may bundle it with lense but really you are getting a package from shop rather than manufacturer.

Each system has their advantage and disadvantage and if you dislike reading and making your own decision you better go with popular brand as you can dispose your mistake (sell as second hand) probably faster (price may not be better but definitely faster).

Remember: Choosing a DSLR brand is equal to choosing a system. Something like buying game console: do you like Nintendo Wii, Sony PSP3 or XBOX 360?

I am using olympus E-system. I think and choose not based on popularity but on my preference.
I am happy with it because I dont worry that my camera body does not have AF motor so focusing will be slower etc, that my new camera body is not compatible with my old lense etc and swearing to the manufacturer because newer body model is full frame and the old lense produces vignetting, etc etc etc. I use the flagship model E-3 which come with 100% viewfinder, swivel live-view, magnesium alloy tough body, weather sealing (can if combo with High grade lense, all weather sealed model fear no rain), and great colour produced by zuiko lense. I dont really do much flash photography and I am not bothered much by noise because I can get rid of them during post processing. (why I pay thousands more for camera body to produce less noise if I can get that via post processing by paying a few hundred $ ?)

Last edited:
Plus, brand doesn't affect the quality of photos you take. In other words, you can take wonderful landscapes and portraits using any brand camera.

All models are fine. Go with the one that suits your situation. Some ppl have the tendency to buy the camera which most of the friends own so as to share lenses and etc. Basically, Would op for the Canon 500D or the Sony @300. If you like Nikon, you might want to consider D90 instead of D5000.

Kit = with lens. Yes, Kit for the moment is enough.

If you are uncomfortable with asking, you might wanna go to courts and etc which have display sets. Also, Shops like MS color/ Canon retail shop in vivo also allows trying cameras out.

Freeware: Gimp and etc.
Paid: Photoshop, lightroom 2, Aperture 2

:) Good Luck~

Whichever camera u get, spend some time on getting the picture right first. U can worry abt the software editing later. If the photo is off, no software can help. Put software as yr lowest priority for now.

As for the camera reviews, dpreview is a good starting place. All the cameras u mentioned are good. Go for one that u like. U will get different answers from the various camps and yr decision will be biased. Have fun with yr camera

i had written something on this before, having used both as primary cameras:

link

maybe you can read again and decide, a prosumer can produce good pictures as well, just more limited. being more limited, does not necessarily mean bad, it depends on your needs and wants.

beginners can start with any camera. most of the time the problem with beginners is nothing to do with what camera to use, it is to do with them not knowing how to make full use of the camera. even if a beginner starts with d3, there is nothing wrong unless he is robbing people to buy the camera. just put in the effort to read up, and try, and absorb, and assimilate and internalise.

most of the major camera shops like cathay photo, john 3:16, alan photo, will have display sets for you to massage and play around with in the shop. google is your best friend, or clubsnap search, when it comes to locations and phone numbers to call.

you don't have to edit a picture to make it perfect. you can just as easily apply in-camera settings as well, just that there is less room for freedom. if you are ok with that, why not?

body only means without lenses. you need a lens to take a picture. kit set comes with the rudimentary, "most basic" level of lens, which is USUALLY 18-55. you need to read up more to get a better of idea of what 18-55 mm means - cue wikipedia and focal length.

take the time to read up more.

dpreview and imaging resource are good review sites. as for everything else, i suggest to make decision, you TRY the cameras, DO SO with an open mind and not blindly follow the crowd because what everyone else uses is not necessarily what is good for you.. and happy purchasing, whatever decision you make eventually.

Thanks for all the advises! Sorry that I've took so long to reply to this thread. After much consideration and checking the cameras out in the shops as well as reading the reviews, I have more or less decided to go for the Nikon D5000. I reckon it will be sufficient for me for now although there are some "missing" functions like the AF motor and the 230k (as compared to the 920k from Canon) display.

I will leave the editing software aside for now until I master all the functions from this camera. Really appreciate the time taken for your input and I really hope to learn more from you guys.

Cheers!

P.S. Any recommendations on where I should purchase my very first DSLR? I am waiting for the PC show this coming Thurs but also looking at other options where there might be better deals. Thanks!

Last edited:
P.S. Any recommendations on where I should purchase my very first DSLR? I am waiting for the PC show this coming Thurs but also looking at other options where there might be better deals. Thanks!

If you are just starting with nothing at all, then PC show may be a good place to start your hobby as you will likely get more freebies there. Pricing-wise, I doubt you can get good discount in pc show. However, if you don't want the freebies, then no need to wait for pc shows.... just go to your favorite shop and get the no-frills lowest price package. :)

I agree with the discount being given in the pc show, its usually not as good as shops around, Do shop around for the best deals before you go for the PC show, as PC show indeed will throw in a lot of freebies

Go to a library to borrow books on digital photography. Read for one week than decide later.
U will realized getting a dslr is more in buying the system later.

Try to avoid magazines first..usually magazines like to promote the latest and greatest.

Sometimes, u may get more confused here. There are many opinions and all are no right no wrong answer.

Last edited:
entry level dslrs do come in body onli too.. but i guess it's better to stick to buying the kit cos the kit lense wld be a gd start for beginners

After much consideration, I have gotten the Canon Eos 500D today (as opposed to Nikon D5000 which I thought I'll get as mentioned above)! Now waiting patiently for the battery to be fully charged before I go out and take some pictures! So excited! Thanks everyone who had given me advises!

After much consideration, I have gotten the Canon Eos 500D today (as opposed to Nikon D5000 which I thought I'll get as mentioned above)! Now waiting patiently for the battery to be fully charged before I go out and take some pictures! So excited! Thanks everyone who had given me advises!

Have fun with your new camera! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.