Very brave of "The Australian"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOS10D

Deregistered
Aug 7, 2005
Very brave of "The Australian" to go against the tide of public opinion

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20360340-7583,00.html

WHAT Irwin never seemed to understand was that animals need space.
The one lesson any conservationist must labour to drive home is that
habitat loss is the principal cause of species loss. There was no habitat,
no matter how fragile or finely balanced, that Irwin hesitated to barge into,
trumpeting his wonder and amazement to the skies. There was not an
animal he was not prepared to manhandle.

Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress.
Every snake badgered by Irwin was at a huge disadvantage,
with only a single possible reaction to its terrifying situation,
which was to strike. Easy enough to avoid if you know what's coming.
Even my cat knew that much.

In 2004, Irwin was accused of illegally encroaching on the
space of penguins, seals and humpback whales in Antarctica,
where he was filming a documentary called Ice Breaker.
An investigation by the Australian environmental department
resulted in no action being taken, which is not surprising
seeing that John Howard made sure that Irwin was one of
the guests invited to a gala barbecue for George W. Bush
a few months before. Howard is now Irwin's chief mourner,
which is only fair seeing that Irwin announced that Howard
is the greatest leader the world has ever seen.

There will be people who probably do not fancy his 'gungho' style. In fact, I heard someone commented that "he actually had it coming"......

Though I do not fancy his style (as well as the new generation of 'naturalists' who jump into rivers/swamps to catch snakes n anaconda etc.....dramarama style), I still have my respect for Irwin, for spending his entire life working with animals.

OK, since this has come out. I just want to say, I do not consider his shows documentaries at all, I classify them as variety shows. sorry.

hwchoy said:
OK, since this has come out. I just want to say, I do not consider his shows documentaries at all, I classify them as variety shows. sorry.
So what was ur reaction earlier? U do switch sides really quick don't u? :confused:

EOS10D said:
Very brave of "The Australian" to go against the tide of public opinion

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20360340-7583,00.html

WHAT Irwin never seemed to understand was that animals need space.
The one lesson any conservationist must labour to drive home is that
habitat loss is the principal cause of species loss. There was no habitat,
no matter how fragile or finely balanced, that Irwin hesitated to barge into,
trumpeting his wonder and amazement to the skies. There was not an
animal he was not prepared to manhandle.

Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress.
Every snake badgered by Irwin was at a huge disadvantage,
with only a single possible reaction to its terrifying situation,
which was to strike. Easy enough to avoid if you know what's coming.
Even my cat knew that much.

In 2004, Irwin was accused of illegally encroaching on the
space of penguins, seals and humpback whales in Antarctica,
where he was filming a documentary called Ice Breaker.
An investigation by the Australian environmental department
resulted in no action being taken, which is not surprising
seeing that John Howard made sure that Irwin was one of
the guests invited to a gala barbecue for George W. Bush
a few months before. Howard is now Irwin's chief mourner,
which is only fair seeing that Irwin announced that Howard
is the greatest leader the world has ever seen.

This was written by Germaine Greer in Britain's The Guardian. She is an Australian feminist who lives in UK. Her views are sometimes controversial. Many Australians have come out disagreeing with what she has said about Steve Irwin and attacking her for her lack of sensitivity in this moment of national grief.

Sion said:
This was written by Germaine Greer in Britain's The Guardian. She is an Australian feminist who lives in UK. Her views are sometimes controversial. Many Australians have come out
disagreeing with what she has said about Steve Irwin and attacking her for her lack of sensitivity in this moment of national grief.

Glad to know this perspective about the author who wrote this article...

Regardless of Steve's controversial approach, his contribution to heighten the awareness of wildlife conversation cannot be written off just like that. A great loss indeed...

Like I said, his TV persona and style is rather controversial and I personally don't condone it. Animals are best observed from afar, especially wild animals. His fundraising and conservation efforts are admirable but really, he would have been more effective alive than dead. I hope his death is a lesson to all who were thinking of infringing the personal space of any wild creatures.

Controversial & sensational news articles sells papers. :cool:

Whether the Australian is "brave" or simply brilliant at recognising "gold mines", I leave it to you to decide.

Terence said:
Like I said, his TV persona and style is rather controversial and I personally don't condone it. Animals are best observed from afar, especially wild animals. His fundraising and conservation efforts are admirable but really, he would have been more effective alive than dead. I hope his death is a lesson to all who were thinking of infringing the personal space of any wild creatures.

His death was an accident. He did not tangle with a dangerous croc or cobra. The stingray struck him while he was swimming above it.

Like the other thread about humans and being superior, humans, till not cannot say that we master the domain of water. When we step into the sea, we're entering the realm of sea creatures and as such, we should accept the danger it poses. If you go surfing and a shark attack you, is it a lesson not to intrude the personal space of wild creatures? The sea is not our domain. You can argue that the shark came looking for you but isn't it their nature to kill and eat to survive?We, as humans ALREADY intrude the space of wild creatures. Look at Singapore, it used to be a marsh land where the Malayan Tiger probably ruled supreme but look at where is it now.

Steve Irwin have to eat and a family to feed too. He is also a father and is trying to do his job in his own individual style. And when he died doing it, people still have such things to say about him. (I'm refering to the article) Unfortunately, that is the price of fame and he had paid the ultimate price, his life.

Hobbesyeo said:
Controversial & sensational news articles sells papers. :cool:

Whether the Australian is "brave" or simply brilliant at recognising "gold mines", I leave it to you to decide.

I think the author made some valid points which are already echoed by many around the globe. I myself always maintained that one day he would get too close and it would be one of his subjects who would get him in the end. Trust me, it's a common prophecy whenever folks discuss Irwin and his show.

afbug said:
His death was an accident. He did not tangle with a dangerous croc or cobra. The stingray struck him while he was swimming above it.

Like the other thread about humans and being superior, humans, till not cannot say that we master the domain of water. When we step into the sea, we're entering the realm of sea creatures and as such, we should accept the danger it poses. If you go surfing and a shark attack you, is it a lesson not to intrude the personal space of wild creatures? The sea is not our domain. You can argue that the shark came looking for you but isn't it their nature to kill and eat to survive?We, as humans ALREADY intrude the space of wild creatures. Look at Singapore, it used to be a marsh land where the Malayan Tiger probably ruled supreme but look at where is it now.

That remains to be seen I suppose. His death was caught on video and by most accounts, he was positioning himself dangerously close to the ray while in the shallows.

Your example of the shark is clearly quite different. I'm talking about going up to a wild animal intentionally and harassing it by pulling, tugging or intimidating it with your proximity and presence. Let's not get carried away by your shark attack scenario which is more of a freakish accident, like how someone gets run over by a car while crossing a road.

Terence said:
That remains to be seen I suppose. His death was caught on video and by most accounts, he was positioning himself dangerously close to the ray while in the shallows.

Your example of the shark is clearly quite different. I'm talking about going up to a wild animal intentionally and harassing it by pulling, tugging or intimidating it with your proximity and presence. Let's not get carried away by your shark attack scenario which is more of a freakish accident, like how someone gets run over by a car while crossing a road.

Hi there, experts like Dr Brain Fry already said that it was a freak accident as stingrays are not known to cause deaths and is a passive animal. So was an accident and it was classified as an accident by the aussie police and international news.

News reports that he was struck by a 2.5m stingray while swimming over it in waters about 2m deep. That means, he did not touch it or handle it. So isn't it like being hit by a car?

Whether he is very close to the stingray or not, no one knows till he/she seen the footage.

There are many styles and method in doing a job. It so happens that some people seem Steve's style dangerous. Love him or hate him, it was classified as an accident and there is no 2 ways about it.

afbug said:
Hi there, experts like Dr Brain Fry already said that it was a freak accident as stingrays are not known to cause deaths and is a passive animal. So was an accident and it was classified as an accident by the aussie police and international news.

News reports that he was struck by a 2.5m stingray while swimming over it in waters about 2m deep. That means, he did not touch it or handle it. So isn't it like being hit by a car?

Whether he is very close to the stingray or not, no one knows till he/she seen the footage.

There are many styles and method in doing a job. It so happens that some people seem Steve's style dangerous. Love him or hate him, it was classified as an accident and there is no 2 ways about it.

Who's disputing it wasn't an accident? I'm not aware of any stingray which has a conciousness advanced enough to know that it was Steve Irwin hovering over it and decided to do the animal kingdom a favor by piercing Steve's heart with its barb.

Terence said:
Who's disputing it wasn't an accident?

You are?

You said this: "I myself always maintained that one day he would get too close and it would be one of his subjects who would get him in the end."

I might misunderstood your post but if one can predict, its not an accident. :) He had it coming. If he handled a cobra and it got him and kill him, he asked for it but this isn't what happened.

Of cause you're not aware of a stingray waiting to kill him. If you're aware, I'm sure you'll warn Steve wouldn't you?

afbug said:
You are?

You said this: "I myself always maintained that one day he would get too close and it would be one of his subjects who would get him in the end."

I might misunderstood your post but if one can predict, its not an accident. :) He had it coming. If he handled a cobra and it got him and kill him, he asked for it but this isn't what happened.

Of cause you're not aware of a stingray waiting to kill him. If you're aware, I'm sure you'll warn Steve wouldn't you?

Sorry, I don't quite understand your point. But my point that it was an accident which could have been avoided if he respected the space between him and the animal.

I don't know how to address your point of forewarning Steve about the stingray who was out to get him. I don't possess telepathic skills which allow me to communicate with animals and as such would not know of its intentions. But being a diver myself, I know when not to get too close.

afbug said:
Steve Irwin have to eat and a family to feed too. He is also a father and is trying to do his job in his own individual style. And when he died doing it, people still have such things to say about him. (I'm refering to the article) Unfortunately, that is the price of fame and he had paid the ultimate price, his life.

I wouldn't take what Germaine Greer said about Steve Irwin seriously. It was reported that she was paid to be unpopular. I saw an interview with her on TV this evening. She was ungracious and was called "un-Australian" by the interviewer.

The Irwin family has refused a state funeral for Steve for the reason that Steve is a common man and they believe that is the way he likes to be treated.

All the kids love animals. And Steve has brought them closer to the animals.

In a way he might have asked for it as some say but I guess he was expecting this would come one day just not from a normally placid stingray! He did say before that it is not fair to call certain animals "dangerous". They are just protecting themselves with what nature gave them. Woe be to the one who forgets that.

jsbn said:
So what was ur reaction earlier? U do switch sides really quick don't u? :confused:

did you see me make any proclamation earlier? what switching sides?

I said nothing, not just here but in many other fora, purely out of respect for a dead man and his family, whether I agree with his methods or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.