Verticle steam iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
anyone used, or is using this type of "iron"? how do u find it, and any brand to recommend?
for brands, i only heard of princess and novita, dunno if there's other brands out there.
issit good, fast and easy to use?

its similar to those used in boutiques, doesnt require an ironing board.
i wan to get 1 of this. i suck at ironing and i take forever for just a few shirts + pants ahahaha :bsmilie:

any comments appreciated hehe thx!

is called a steamer .
used them to iron those 'skirtings' when i work in hotel

easy to use.. works well. but is not cheap

most brand iron can do that i think... i know the philips ones can...

i saw at those boutiques, they have those big ones with big water tanks to iron... looks good.

Will the clothes be completely dried after ironing?? I think we have to hang them for a while before putting them into the cabinet.

I am interested to get one too.:sweat:

most brand iron can do that i think... i know the philips ones can...

i saw at those boutiques, they have those big ones with big water tanks to iron... looks good.

hmm, philips manufacture those kinda steamers?
i never seen 1 from philips before..:think:

If you take too long to iron your clothes, there are cheaper alternatives.

1. Buy a $2 bottle spray. Before you iron your clothes, spray a mist of water onto your clothes and hand there for a minute or 2 until the water is absorped into the clothes.

2. Use an irorning board that is broader.

3. Buy better shirts that have some easy ironing option e.g. better 100% cotton or cotton polyester, the cost is always more, your clothes are guaranteed to stay crease free, or lesser crease than normal cotton shirts.

4. After you have washed your clothes, stretch it only ever so slightly so that the shirts or pants do not dry with too many creases.

The more expensive alternatives.

1. Never buy cheapo washing machines e.g. $200 kind. While they do almost the same job as a $1000 washing machine, the variation in spinning does make a difference to the degree or crease.

2. Use those irons that have a seperate container for water, seperate tube for steam, these are the best irons.

OT
btw there this mannequin used in the packaging industry

just wear the clothes on it and press a button ..
the steam will gushed out of the holes. Voila! .. everything done :cool:

the steamer cost around $200+

I use French steam iron Tefal and German ironing board Leifheit. Nowadays more likely made in China under licence.
But never bother to use the steam. Slight cold water spray is enough.
Buy 100% cotton shirts. Easy iron.

but does it really work? been considering to buy 1 but i wonder if its strong enough for the stubborn creases

The true good irons are like those in the link, there are many other brands. The key is in allowing for more steam to pass through the clothing to make the ironing process easier. The difference between this and normal steam irons is that normal steam irons are not able to produce enough pressure to make the steam work and they tend to leak water when you turn up the amount of steam.

is steamer not effective?
so many suggesting alternatives like 100% cotton shirts, instead of which vertical steamer lol.

if i change my whole wardrobe to cotton ones, wouldnt that cost more? since better material shirts aren't cheap and usually cost 70+ onwards?

Look at it this way. If the vertical steamer works well with ordinary clothing that normal people use routinely, then they would be common place in most households. Which I think is not the case.

hmm, i look at it differently.

most households do not change home appliances often. and there is no advertisements for this product. so, its not common in households becos ppl either dun know about it or their iron is not spoiled.

if they dun work well, why would boutiques be using them?

i use this for about 4 years already. had a faulty one exchanged for a new one. actually, its convenient but u gotta hold on to the shirt properly while u r ironing.. so.. usually i dun do a good job on it. for a normal iron, u press onto an ironing board, for this, u got nowhere to press into.. so u juz gotta hold it there longer for creases to disappear. sometimes they dun.. the frustration is that the hanger tends to move ard , even when u r holding the shirt while ironing. but its faster i guess.

another thing is about maintainance. the place where the steam forms.. it gets clogged up by crystals after sometime.. they look like dark coloured sand. gotta, dismantle everything, and try to water jet into the small opening where the tube is fixed. usually, it wont do the tricks, coz the crystals r of diff sizes. so..my last resort is 'CPR'. yes, i actually, blow very hard into the opening to try to unclog the thing. well, after much huffing and puffing + spraying water into it.. u will see 'sand' pouring onto the floor.. alot, mind u. after which, u fix back everything, then ur vertical iron is as good as new. :angel:

Have had 1 for quite a few months and no problems. Although it may seem to use up more electricity the time saved in the process is much shorter than ironing. So in absolute electricity terms depending on how fast u are it can even be better than normal iron.

Only issue is with making shirts have nice lines etc. Some brands have attachments to help u do that but usually cost a bit extra. Can consider...have experience with lots of normal irons before, after a year plus they start sucking up power like nobody's business and your electricity bill jumps till you have to buy new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.