Vertical grip.... you need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

I have seems some photographer using the vertical grip on their cam.

I was told only if you take a lot of portrait shoots then you will need it.... any comments on that? :dunno:

There are other reasons why you may need a vertical grip. It can hold 2 batteries, and it gives a more solid feel to the camera, at least to me. In a sense, it makes the camera feel more balanced when you use it with a heavy lens.

Hmm..... okay... but is it worth $200++ to hold another battery, balance the cam and good to have?

Hmm..... okay... but is it worth $200++ to hold another battery, balance the cam and good to have?

should be a enough good reasons liao.

but i sold mine, cus i shoot more candid shots nowadays. a big camera looks serious and is intimidating. anyway, with or w/o vertical, i was almost bashed up at sugnei road 2 days ago.

but i also feel its good to ve. allows more secure handling of the camera. also feels better, more stable, shooting vertical shots.

but i sold mine, cus i shoot more candid shots nowadays. a big camera looks serious and is intimidating. anyway, with or w/o vertical, i was almost bashed up at sugnei road 2 days ago.

but i also feel its good to ve. allows more secure handling of the camera. also feels better, more stable, shooting vertical shots.

woah... serious? what happened man? guy wanted to bash you because you took picture of him? maybe he is a serial killer on the run!!!

anyway, back to the topic... i have a vert grip... haven't really have an occasion to use it yet... but from comments on previous threads on same discussion, you can bring the vert grip for shooting on car shows or IT shows... models tend to pose at you coz you look more pro (thinking that their picture might appear in some magazine...hahahah) :bsmilie:

Yes, it give a better grip to your camera.

I use a few Nikon cameras, all go with motor drive or battery grip, except two cameras don't have, Nikkormat FT3 and D70.

It's not a must have accessories but it's GOOD to have :)
It really help a lot when snapping portrait and balance the camera.

Having to use extra batteries and AAs is bonus to me. Downside is the extra weight...
Seriously speaking, after getting one Vertical grip. I like it a lot...

Another reason I use the vertical grip is that it allows me to use rechargable AA batteries instead of CR2 batteries for my camera. Cheaper and more convenient in the long run. Also it provides a better grip and feel as it let me have a place to place my little finger instead of letting it hanging in mid air.

It's not a must have accessories but it's GOOD to have :)
It really help a lot when snapping portrait and balance the camera.

Having to use extra batteries and AAs is bonus to me. Downside is the extra weight...
Seriously speaking, after getting one Vertical grip. I like it a lot...

As for me, not having the grip is totally out of the question. My grip sticks to the body from day 1. The heavier the weight the better, especially if you mount your long lens. Gives you better stability and balance, thus better shots. Not to mention the convenience of shooting portraits.. I shoot buildings, so it is a boon to me :)

Hi all,

I have seems some photographer using the vertical grip on their cam.

I was told only if you take a lot of portrait shoots then you will need it.... any comments on that? :dunno:

i take portraits. i dun have a grip. only worry is battery life. i don't want the extra weight to give me aching arms by the end of the day. :)

bigger cams tend to attract too much attention and i like taking street and candid as well.

To me, any SLR or DSLR must have a vertical grip... otherwise, it will feel odd to me...

Absolutely must have a battery grip for me...feels really really loads better and vertical shots are a breeze.

Beside it look more "Pro", its does help if you shoot in portrait mode for long period of time, alleviate arm and shoulder muscle aches. But the additional weight kill at times.

You serious. Anything happened to you?

its good to have, use it too as it provides better stability and grip cos my 400D grip rather small. besides can hold AA batteries which gives it extra weight.

Hmm.. :think: ..yes.. how true..
I feel the same way about my attempts to shoot in public; people get the wrong impression when I hold up camera.... it looks too serious & there was once secuirty stepped to me & asked if I was from the press (?) - that was years ago at Turf City...

Maybe I should go around wearing a flowery hat, flowery & colorful shirt & kakis, then hang the serious looking camera around my neck & probably I'd look less official & more tourist-like... serious looking tourist with a large serious looking camera... :bsmilie:

Sucks lah.. shooting around in SG sometimes feels similar to shooting in countries like Russsia...

I shoot a lot of portraits, but I have never use any vertical grip, nor do I see the need to have one. Maybe I am used to it, but I certainly don't want to carry additional weight.

You serious. Anything happened to you?

must say most ppl are OK w ppl photographing them, so long we make it quick or ask them nicely.

tat morning, i went to bedok to photograph a very traditional lookin provision shop. the shop keeper is very nice after i told him i jus wan to record vanishing scenes of spore.

then i shot an old basker at the mkt, 2 chess players and the song bird keepers at a kopi shop.

after that went sugnei rd. most of the ppl posted no problem (either they didnt care or didnt notice me). until a stall mended by an old couple. the wife saw me 1st and shouted. then the husband confronted me, demanding that i hand over the film. i tried to walk away but he followed and cursed w vulgarities.

i didnt run, jus hurried away. he gave up after a few paces. nothin dramatic actually. but i dunno wat will the other stall owners do if it gets physical.

models tend to pose at you coz you look more pro (thinking that their picture might appear in some magazine...hahahah) :bsmilie:

fyi,the models do pose for us cos they know most of us.

back to topic
having a grip can work wonders for ur wrist.
i used to shoot with a d200 with grip.now with a d70s n after a fashion show,my wrist needs a break...

Status
Not open for further replies.