Verge of quitting photography. HELP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

oLYNXo

Dec 6, 2010
Lorong Chuan
As all of you guys know, December is coming to an end, which means school is about to start. I have been into photography since November.
Right now, I study in st. Joseph's institution and I am going to be sec2 in 2011. However, my parents are urging me to quit and drop photography because they said I had to concentrate on my subjects, as well as my rugby cca.
I really enjoy photography but they just would not accept the fact that I am a photographer. Hell, I can't even tell them I don't use auto anymore like they do. I mean, it's like I have been doing this hobby for a month and they are telling me to quit?
Do I really need to drop this? :dunno: Helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Peace out.

you make your own choices.. and you balance your own time.

if you can prove to your parents that you can juggle studies, rugby and photography, think they will have nothing to say.

Leave photography on weekends and on months where there are no exams.

Focus on doing well for your 'O' Levels if you are gonna take it in 2 years time.

Choose to be in Art school after that. ;)

Problem solved.

Well part & parcel of growing up is learning how to manage your time and understanding to what extent your breaking point is.

I too faced parental displeasure (well parents want the best for you) but that's just a brick wall that you'll have to overcome. Prove them wrong and they'll keep quiet for sure. Learn to prioritize tasks & manage your time properly and you'll be fine. :)

Convince them that you know your priorities well, excel in studies and yet show them that you can produce great works.

Action speaks louder than words, try to drag and delay till the first semester's exams, show them that you are able to cope with all 3 things going at the same time.

hey TS i have some advice for you. to me i feel that photography is not really an activity like studies or rugby where you need to put in lots of time to train..not saying that you dont need to put in effort to learn it but rather its not really a pia-ing thing if you get what i mean.

you can just keep your camera and shoot once in a while, thats still not dropping photography. in fact i dont think theres such thing as dropping photography. you wont quit it forever.

if you like making photos, you dont need to spend time going for outings or what, as long as you like what you're doing and enjoy the process of capturing photos. you dont need to give it up..probably just spend lesser time doing it.

hope this helps. dont give up! :)

i am sec 4 this year, studying in Peirce Secondary.

Have been into this photography for 1 year. Starting with photography with old vintage cameras and films.

Knowing older people in gatherings and outings, not only about photography, it's also the encouragement and the sharing of experiences of other people.

studying is stress, staying concentrated in class is not easy, also have to cope with my weekly tests. Photography is one hobby which I could relieve stress in school. When school starts, I may not have the time to shoot everyday, but I will make a small part of time for photography like during weekends, maybe catching sun rise or sun set, shooting streets.

Your parents urge you to quit photography because they are worried for you, for your academic results. Thus they want you to cut down on un beneficial activities. Explain to them of what your plans are, and how you are going to manage your time well, I am sure you can do it.

Studying is stress, your Rugby CCA is tiring, I am sure doing something that you can relax is important. Top Students don't study everyday, they do have their free time activities, so do I.

Handle your time well, study hard and get good results. Prove to your parents, with photography, you can also do well.

Recently last week, I just got back my N level results, and achieve flying colors, thanks to my hard work and the encouragement by some of the members who gave me advise and encouragements. Will work hard next year, the year after will be important as I have to get good results so my dad could buy me my favorite car, an Intergra Type R with 30K worth of mods.

Last edited:
1) Share with them the photographs you took.
2) Try to take more photos of them (family)

These should work.... :)

I think if you're not yet 18, then put aside/sell your camera for now. You can always come back to it.

If you're the sort that just spends all weekend shooting 5000 snapshots with every ah lian/xmm out there, it could give your parents valid cause for concern too. ;)

no need. i have a group of friends, driving the same car already.. went to workshop last week, think next month must plan to order all my upcoming modification parts.

i am going to drop in a brand new K24 stroke K27 engine block. Mechanic told me need at least 30k.

No need know results can already pre-order ?? :dunno:

Photography is a very flexible hobby... it can be time consuming where you can spend hours in a day jus to get the shot you want... it also can be as short a a few seconds taking the cam and snapping a pic while you are going on with your daily routine.

Between the 2 extremes, I'm sure there's a balance for everyone keen to take up and maintain this hobby.

Settle down your school routine first... then find the appropriate time for photography, you can commit more to the hobby during school breaks and have the flexibility to put on hold when you need to focus on your assignments.

Photography is a very flexible hobby... it can be time consuming where you can spend hours in a day jus to get the shot you want... it also can be as short a a few seconds taking the cam and snapping a pic while you are going on with your daily routine.

Between the 2 extremes, I'm sure there's a balance for everyone keen to take up and maintain this hobby.

Settle down your school routine first... then find the appropriate time for photography, you can commit more to the hobby during school breaks and have the flexibility to put on hold when you need to focus on your assignments.

I agree with this and the various comments above.

I'm 18 now in SAJC and came from SASS. I have been shooting since 15 years old, 2.5 years of which were when I was involved with my school concert/military band. Hectic as it was, I didn't feel like I had to choose one over the other. There was a time for everything.

You don't need to kill a hobby just because you don't have time for it. Just take it slow. You don't need to be shooting day in day out yeah.

life is like this u hve to make choices, if u really don't have time for it, u can postpone it first, it's a hobbie, u can either do it on ur free time or if u really2 dun hve any free time(pity u) u could always come back to it if it's realy ur passion later on when u life on ur own, i started photography after i earn my own $$, there no such a thing as to late

Last edited:
I'm envious. A lot of ah sia kias in there..... :bsmilie: Anyway if you can afford to own the stuff with your own means that'd be sweeter, but nobody minds the short cuts. :bsmilie:

Aiyah relac, leave it to fate. Any hobby if its meant for you, you will go back to it. Its true for any hobby, it could be an on off affair. Girls too.... ;p

PS. Odyssey-boy, you like horology (timepieces) or hifi?

Last edited:
Looks like you got a packed schedule boy...

What I can advise you is just as what every parents would, concentrate more on your studies. But that doesn't mean asking you to drop everything just for studies.

You've gotta know that your hobbies will definitely take up all your time. CCA wise, it'll help you in your academic progression. Photography? Not really. However, if you find photography fun in a way, and you believe you can manage that time, then why not?

A piece of advise I could give you is, study equally as hard as playing, be it CCA or hobby. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.