VELBON Ultra Series Tripod

BlackBerry

Feb 10, 2009
I am considering to buy this Velbon Ultra REXi L

Link to Velbon website is here:
http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/RexiL.html

This tripod specs has 3 good criteria that I like it :
- Folded Height : 36cm only
- Maximum Height : 156 cm (after put ball head, the height would be 166 cm, which would be the ideal height for tripod)
- Maximum Load : 4 kg

Any alternative for different type or brand of tripod, with similar above specs ?

Please note:
The folded height is my main concern, which should be 36 cm or less.
As with 36cm I could insert into my traveling bag without additional tripod bag.

Thanks for Reading !

- Maximum Height : 156 cm (after put ball head, the height would be 166 cm, which would be the ideal height for tripod)

Any alternative for different type or brand of tripod, with similar above specs ?

Please note:
As with 36cm I could insert into my traveling bag without additional tripod bag.

Thanks for Reading !

There are many others which I think can fit your criteria.
As for maximum height, this is probably with the centre column extended which is not ideal as it can sway a bit with the camera on. Try to find out the maximum height without the centre column extended.

Please note:

Thanks for Reading !

you have to consider the tripod head that will need to be added too. It wont be 36cm then.

You can try looking for tripod with 4 or 5 section legs and the legs folds 180 degree for storage.

Why not take a look at Sirui or Benro travel series as well? They make very good travel tripods and might be cheaper than Velbon

Tripod Specification I want
Folded Height : <= 360 mm
Maximum Height : >= 1500 mm (wihout tripod head)
Maximum Load : >= 4 kg

Velbon Ultra REXi L
Folded Height : 360 mm (Very Good)
Maximum Height : 1560 mm (Very Good)
Maximum Load : 4 kg (Very Good)

I have surfed to Sirui Website

Sirui T-1004X
Folded Height : 400 mm (not good)
Maximum Height : 1400 mm (not good)
Maximum Load : 10 kg (???)

Sirui T-1005X
Folded Height : 340 mm (good)
Maximum Height : 1305 mm (not good)
Maximum Load : 10 kg (???)

Sirui T-2004X
Folded Height : 410 mm (not good)
Maximum Height : 1480 mm (not good)
Maximum Load : 15 kg (???)

Sirui T-2005X
Folded Height : 370 mm (not good)
Maximum Height : 1445 mm (not good)
Maximum Load : 12 kg (???)

Anyone could suggest a better tripod ?

how much is the velbon? i'm just looking for this kind of specs for myself!!

I saw the Velbon Ultra Luxi M II... eyeing on this, among few other options

what's the difference between Ultra REXi L and Luxi M II??

i'm using a velbon ultra max iL. Got it more than a year back as i needed a compact tripod (folded size and weight was a key consideration) to bring on honeymoon enough to hold my Canon 400D and 18-200 lens. In fact i sold a manfrotto to buy this.

while it performed great to my needs for the trip and after (i'm using it now with a manfrotto ball-head as the 3-way head is too flimsy for my setup now) i would like to highlight to you that the shortcomings of such a compact tripod is that the legs are really thin. While they are generally stable for most of the shots, if there is strong wind or ground vibrations (i.e. near a road where with rumbling traffic), you can forget about long exposure shots as there will be some degree of slight oscillations. You can test the flex on smooth ground (try not to test it on carpeted ground) and you can even see the legs slipping out apart from flexing. So do also consider the leg thickness.

The sirui and benro options that some others are recommending generally have thicker legs (bigger diameter). So there are some benefits to their heavier weight and folded size.

BUT...ultimately, if you feel the tripod is light enough, small enough, and can hold your gear for the kind of shots you need then it's good enough. No point getting something big and stable that you don't like to bring about. Hope my experience with my Velbon helps. I'm still using it by the way.:)

Regarding the Sirui Tripod, I don't believe with their Specs.
How come such a small leg with 5 sections could support up to 10 kg or 12 kg ?

I more believe on Velbon Specs which the data looks more reasonable.

I have a heavy duty tripod, which I only use it in Singapore. Looking for a compact one with the criteria above for a family holiday.

Anyone has good experience with Benro tripod, for family holiday purpose ?

It's better to physically go to the shops and try it out. My first tripod is the velbon ultra maxi M, bought it because of the compact size. But as tortise point out, it's unstable, flex easily. Slight wind will make it vibrate, no way I can do long exposure with it.

Sold it and got a sirui 1204, hell lots of difference. I rather carry a slightly bigger and heavier tripod then a clumsy one.

Why don't you re-consider your 36cm criteria. Most cabin size bags have a diagonal length of about 45 cm at least. And you can take out the ballhead when it is in the bag.

I have seen the tripod you have in mind and did not buy it for the same reasons as given by others here.

Last edited:
Regarding the Sirui Tripod, I don't believe with their Specs.
How come such a small leg with 5 sections could support up to 10 kg or 12 kg ?

I more believe on Velbon Specs which the data looks more reasonable.

I have a heavy duty tripod, which I only use it in Singapore. Looking for a compact one with the criteria above for a family holiday.

Anyone has good experience with Benro tripod, for family holiday purpose ?

For benro head down to Benphoto at peninsula shopping center, a whole collection of benro tripods for you to see.

It's better to physically go to the shops and try it out. My first tripod is the velbon ultra maxi M, bought it because of the compact size. But as tortise point out, it's unstable, flex easily. Slight wind will make it vibrate, no way I can do long exposure with it.

Sold it and got a sirui 1204, hell lots of difference. I rather carry a slightly bigger and heavier tripod then a clumsy one.

Bro Pchmj,

Velbon Ultra Maxi M: (http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/ultramaxim.html)
Folded Height : 335 mm
Maximum Height : 1385 mm
Maximum Load : 2 kg
Self weight : 920 gr

Sirui T-1204: (http://www.zssirui.com/en/products.html?proTypeID=100036810&proID=100367904&proName=T-1204X)
Folded Height : 400 mm
Maximum Height : 1400 mm
Maximum Load : 10 kg
Self weight : 800 gr

I see the specs between both tripod almost similar.
Is there really a huge difference between them ?

Sirui 800g is without head. Do note the leg diameter, 21mm vs 25mm and 5 legs vs 4 legs.

The difference in stability is really worlds apart, very obvious. My camera is very light and the velbon shags when I mount. Sirui can certainly takes more weight.

Blackberry, come to think of it, i think its better to try out the tripods in shops.

As you know, i'm also looking for tripod and i won't buy any tripod without testing it thoroughly

bring yr cam with heaviest lens and mount it on the tripods, and see how the tripod behaves....

like many other things, specs on paper only tells you half truth.....

Does anyone know European Tripod which sold in Singapore ?

- Manfrotto, from Italy ?

- Gitzo, from France ?

Any others ?