various ratio for cropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcrash

Jan 30, 2002
Hougang
www.samuelgoh.net
wat are the ratio for the various sizes ar?
anyone can let me noe?
also wat is the correct procedure to crop?
Standard colour just cut away one of my heads.....:cry:

4R is 4" x 6", so the ratio is 3:2.
5R is 5" x 7", ratio is 5:7.
8R is 8" x 10", ratio is 4:5.
Super 8R is 8" x 12", ratio 3:2.

Originally posted by overcrash
anyone can let me noe?

That's because Standard Colour has no standard. ;p That's not the way to do it. At the better labs, you have the choice of :

1. Crop (like what Standard does)
2. Fit into 4R (and leave 2 white borders on the sides, but you get the full frame)
3. Print the full frame onto non-standard size paper (i.e. 4" x 5.33" as opposed to 4" x 6" of 4R).

You get what you pay for.

Alternatively, crop yourself the way you want before sending it in. Good luck if you have 500 pictures to crop. ;p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by overcrash
anyone can let me noe?

Well, pay more and go to a decent lab where you can tell them what to do and what not to do. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

hahah yep...if you have like 500 pictures. U'll give up at abt 140 pictures of cropping! hehe. if you do not wanna crop. Just send in loh! save a whole lots of time. Whats ur print resolution anyway? Maybe at default its 3:2 or 4:3?

Originally posted by ckiang

That's because Standard Colour has no standard. ;p That's not the way to do it. At the better labs, you have the choice of :

1. Crop (like what Standard does)
2. Fit into 4R (and leave 2 white borders on the sides, but you get the full frame)
3. Print the full frame onto non-standard size paper (i.e. 4" x 5.33" as opposed to 4" x 6" of 4R).

You get what you pay for.

Alternatively, crop yourself the way you want before sending it in. Good luck if you have 500 pictures to crop. ;p

Regards
CK

Just wondering whether anyone had tried asking Standard Photo the various choices? If not, the default is for the shop to crop. Fujifilm will do it too when there's no request.

Originally posted by mpenza

Just wondering whether anyone had tried asking Standard Photo the various choices? If not, the default is for the shop to crop. Fujifilm will do it too when there's no request.

Fuji prints in 4:3 ratio...cool huh.

Originally posted by siron

Fuji prints in 4:3 ratio...cool huh.

Can you measure the size of your picture, is it 4" x 5.33"? If yes, this is not 4R format as commonly known.

Originally posted by mpenza

Have not tried Standard, would rather pay a bit more, talk to someone who knows what I am talking about, and get great results consistently without having to wait a week. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Have not tried Standard, would rather pay a bit more, talk to someone who knows what I am talking about, and get great results consistently without having to wait a week. :)

Regards
CK

Yes agree...

err.... how u know what ratio is the dc taking?

Originally posted by ctchng
err.... how u know what ratio is the dc taking?

From the resolution you are shooting at, do a bit of math. E.g. if you shoot 2048 x 1536, it will be 2048 / 1536. Reduce to the lowest possible fraction (what do you call that? ) and you get 4/3, which is 4:3.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.