Various pics for C&C...

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmingorion

Dec 22, 2007
Hello all!
I am a new or newbie in Digital photography. I just got myself a Canon 40D, tamron 17-50mm F2.8, CAnon 70-200mm IS USM L-lens and canon 580EXII speedlite. I also own B+W Kasseman CPL, full cokin ND4 and a Graduated blue filter.

Attached below are a few of my pics. (am still figuring out how to do this downloading properly)

I wish to learn more from the experts. PLs do give me your advises and criticisms as to where to focus and how to get the right exposures.

Thank you!

#3: Most eastern point of sentosa. ok, i have a problem knowing how to use a CPL. I dun know why i kept getting this greyish tint and i can't get the nice deep blue like how some of you are getting with your beach shots. Is it becos these people have used a blue filter? I just bought a blue cokin filter too...To be honest, i was very very disappointed at how the pic turn out as i took many shots, turned the CPL like 'siao' and still dun see the deep blue effect. Pls advise....!!:embrass:

I very welcome C&C..
Sentosa_Shoot_196.jpg

please take note that critique request is limited to 1 picture per week.

extra images have been removed.

hi...so u are also saying that most of those nice photos have been tweaked after using CPL? So the function of the CPL is to darken the sky and then using photoshop to change the colors or should i say change the curve so it looks deeper blue?

Also, if i were to increase the exposure, won't that remove the function of the CPL as it is to go down a few stops in exposure??

Pls advise...thank u!

You should not underexposure because of the use of CPL.

The correct histogram on your dslr still should be the same with or without the use of CPL.

If the image is well-exposed as in this case, the need of tweaking in Photoshop can be avoided.

Frankly for a dusk scene like this I wouldn't use a CPL.

Now on the content of the photo, there is no foreground interest or focal interest except an undramatic busy sky.

hi,
i've gone back to check the properties of the photo i took and it is set at 0 compensation exposure. I was using Aperture mode that time too. So....i'm a bit confused.

CAn u advise me, how would u have taken the dusk scene and what filters or equipment would u use? I took this pic to see what CPL can obtain for me in terms of the deep colors of the clouds.

thanks!

oh, may i ask a very stupid question?
During dusk, the sky is not blue or is very very pale blue. So, should the sky be of a level of blue to achieve the deep blue color with CPL?

thanks!

hi,
i've gone back to check the properties of the photo i took and it is set at 0 compensation exposure. I was using Aperture mode that time too. So....i'm a bit confused.

CAn u advise me, how would u have taken the dusk scene and what filters or equipment would u use? I took this pic to see what CPL can obtain for me in terms of the deep colors of the clouds.

thanks!

Whether it's shutter priority or aperture priority, for scenic shots in difficult lighting conditions I would bracket my exposures from 0, +1 and +2 or even -1 if I am not too sure while keeping an eye on the histogram.

ok..thanks!..i'll take note of it.

Sigh, please go read how to use all filters.

For CPL, turn slowly. The effect is minute, and not very visible in small viewscreens. On a brighter day you should be able to detect changes, but if you're too lazy then go home and PS it instead. Secondly, the sky must already be blue and not overcast. Thirdly you should place the sun off the direction of your shoulder.

And if you use a blue filter then won't everything (but black) turn blue?? :rolleyes:

Find a better subject. Go shoot on an earlier time.
Forget about what filters and equipment what scene needs and just go shoot something simple well.

ok..cool foxtwo, thanks for ur advise. I now have a much better idea of how to use my CPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.