vapour in lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamcake

Aug 11, 2003
my 28-105 canon lens recently got some vapour inside..

i dried it using a hair drier and the vapour got off..
but i discovered a layer of oil (supposingly the lubricant of the lens) on the internal element of the lens.

the img quality seems alright to me..

should i go for cleaning? because someone told me that opening up the lens for cleaning risk the chance getting foreign particle, like fugus inside the lens...

yamcake said:
i dried it using a hair drier and the vapour got off..
but i discovered a layer of oil (supposingly the lubricant of the lens) on the internal element of the lens.

the img quality seems alright to me..

should i go for cleaning? because someone told me that opening up the lens for cleaning risk the chance getting foreign particle, like fugus inside the lens...

What you see is the watermark after liquid dried on the glass.

There is no need to send it for cleaning as it might make it worst too. Sometimes, no matter how you clean a filter, you will find that there is still cleaning marks. Then, other stuff might get in while cleaning (low chance if done by professional).

Next time be more careful and avoid bring a lens across places of extreme temperature. i.e Cold in the aircon room to outside and meet with warm air.

In summary, leave it as it is.

u meantioned avoid moving from cold in the aircon room to outside and meet with warm air. What if you need to take photos in this situation?

The same thing happened to me recently, was shooting in aircon room for
whole day, then had to go outdoors for some shoots and discover water
condensing on my lens & filters... In the end I had to wipe dry. :confused:

Ashleyy said:
u meantioned avoid moving from cold in the aircon room to outside and meet with warm air. What if you need to take photos in this situation?

The same thing happened to me recently, was shooting in aircon room for
whole day, then had to go outdoors for some shoots and discover water
condensing on my lens & filters... In the end I had to wipe dry. :confused:

When moving from aircon room to outside. The glass need sometimes to slowly warmed up to avoid condensation.

One simple way is to use a cheapo ziploc and put the cam inside. The condensation will occur on the plastic bag inside of the lens. Remember to squeeze out as much air as possible from the ziploc.

This work foe if you go indoor from a cold country as the room temperature is much lower those outside.

There is no fast way to work around this. Just let nature take it course.

A good way is to keep the camera "warm" by keeping it in the warmth of your jacket (body heat).

Status
Not open for further replies.