vanishing trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplicity_

Jul 20, 2004
CCK
DSC_46100053bw.jpg

Critiques/Comments welcomed. :)
I wanted to capture the uncle's nonchalant expression; he's a "vanishing trade (metal something something one lah)" and his nonchalance at photographer's intruding on his privacy (i doubt i was the first to photograph him) was interesting lah.

technical aspects;
1/90 sec, f/2.8
Converted to b&w using PS.

can't really tell what the person does for a living, and your explanation -he's a "vanishing trade (metal something something one lah)" - made it more difficult to understand. as such the image failed because of an ''invalid'' title.

Agree with Eikin on the possibly inappropriate title. The story of the photo is really not so much of his trade, but his expression. On it's own, the effect is pretty good, and pretty good conversion of BnW. I would wish to know more about his trade, even if not for the title. What I mean is, he's holding a brush, but everything else related to this subject is unclear, and quite burned out. Unless, of course, your intention is to capture him taking a break, more than capturing what he does.

eikin said:
can't really tell what the person does for a living, and your explanation -he's a "vanishing trade (metal something something one lah)" - made it more difficult to understand. as such the image failed because of an ''invalid'' title.
oic.. haha i have no idea what he does, really. just something to do with metal thats all. i cant read chinese very well. hahaa.

shinken said:
Agree with Eikin on the possibly inappropriate title. The story of the photo is really not so much of his trade, but his expression. On it's own, the effect is pretty good, and pretty good conversion of BnW. I would wish to know more about his trade, even if not for the title. What I mean is, he's holding a brush, but everything else related to this subject is unclear, and quite burned out. Unless, of course, your intention is to capture him taking a break, more than capturing what he does.
oic.. thanks for alerting me to that. now then i realise that title very important... heh

Composition wise, it looks like he's about to paint his foot. I agree with what the rest have said. The trade portion should've included the machines on his left.

I'm not really an avid follower of sharpness, but at f/2.8, the focal point should've been his expression and so the image is a little too soft. Maybe it's the lighting that made forced these settings.

simplicity_ said:
DSC_46100053bw.jpg

Critiques/Comments welcomed. :)
I wanted to capture the uncle's nonchalant expression; he's a "vanishing trade (metal something something one lah)" and his nonchalance at photographer's intruding on his privacy (i doubt i was the first to photograph him) was interesting lah.

technical aspects;
1/90 sec, f/2.8
Converted to b&w using PS.

as mentioned before by eikin, shinken and shojibake (what's with all these japanese-sounding nicks? :bsmilie: )....

title and picture don't 'click' leh

this appears to be a very casual 'passer-by' kind of candid snapshot than what the title suggested...

as an excercise in 'capturing the uncle's nonchalant expression'...i don't think it works on me too leh. although he's obviously very aware of the camera presence, the 'feel' i get is more of 'why are you taking me'?

oh..don't like the cropping too :sweat:

just my very personal views hor

Geez..*shiver*

I'm not here to give visual critique, but in the line of photojournalism/documentry photography (which it seems you're trying to do), you must know the background of your shots..intimately.

hence the word 'journalism' inside photojournalism.

To me, the fact you didn't even know what the man is doing kind of killed it for me.
Next time, take your time to read up, investigate that area of interest you're in and find a way to get the best viewpoint to 'report' the scene.

All this leads up to that shot you're looking for.

Wisp said:
Geez..*shiver*

I'm not here to give visual critique, but in the line of photojournalism/documentry photography (which it seems you're trying to do), you must know the background of your shots..intimately.

hence the word 'journalism' inside photojournalism.

To me, the fact you didn't even know what the man is doing kind of killed it for me.
Next time, take your time to read up, investigate that area of interest you're in and find a way to get the best viewpoint to 'report' the scene.

All this leads up to that shot you're looking for.

the pro speaketh ;)

heh thanks all for the input. honestly i didnt really think of the story behind it.. so yeah, quite fair to say what you all have said. will definitely do more research before i go out shooting again. cheers!

simplicity_ said:
heh thanks all for the input. honestly i didnt really think of the story behind it.. so yeah, quite fair to say what you all have said. will definitely do more research before i go out shooting again. cheers!

on the other hand, if you want to just have fun during shooting, just go ahead! :thumbsup:

i guess what wisp is trying to say, perhaps it would be good to display some sensitivity and responsibility to the topic and subject the photographer is portraying, if that's the intention.

as for me, i don't even shoot for fun anymore :cry:
(except the pad project bah)

Status
Not open for further replies.