value of warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
**a personal touch**

for those who trade in B&S for used items like lens or body, do you give a great deals to warranty or wouldn't mind paying for something out of warranty period?

i know this is personal individual's preferences, but how you guys handle the itch? (quality vs value)

say a VR lens selling @ RP $950
same used lens in B&S for $870-900, no warranty

would you opt for the brand new lens in shops or get a used one ($80-100 difference)?
how much do you rate for warranty? a hundred for a 12 mths warranty or heck.

870-900 for 2nd hand stuff where brand new is 950.
i find it overpriced...

how much would you expect in this case?
used lens $850 (warranty = $100)?

Not everyone keep and handle their lens properly. Storage, cleaning and user's environment are factors that determine the lifespan. During uncertainty, short period of warranty will be ideal just in case. Else warranty would not matter to me.
Upon purchase, bring the lens out for test soon and don't wait till 1month later to discover something wrong.

If the seller don't maintain their stuff properly or heavily used it means $200 off for me. Also I won't buy a 2nd hand lens from user who don't put filter from the beginning even if it has warranty (that is my choice).

Nevertheless, if the price is low and factor in potential dust cleaning cost, then it might be fine.

For me....

Lens
If brand new is 950...
2nd hand with warrenty the most i will consider is 750 or even 700...
I would not consider buying no warrenty items...

Body will drop a lot more than lens...
Looking at the B&S section...
Even with warrenty, a 2nd hand mid range body might drop 400 or more..
If its the pros range, i think the drop will even be bigger..

Coz personally i feel the 2nd means used, and warrenty is important, thus that is the price im willing..

true, i agree.. thinking if should pay more for a new lens instead.

**a personal touch**

for those who trade in B&S for used items like lens or body, do you give a great deals to warranty or wouldn't mind paying for something out of warranty period?

i know this is personal individual's preferences, but how you guys handle the itch? (quality vs value)

say a VR lens selling @ RP $950
same used lens in B&S for $870-900, no warranty

would you opt for the brand new lens in shops or get a used one ($80-100 difference)?
how much do you rate for warranty? a hundred for a 12 mths warranty or heck.
For a lens close to $1k, I will gladly pay that 5% to get a brand new lens. No worry about what that 2nd hand lens has gone through and have the peace of mind of the 1 year warranty from the manufacturer.

For me to go with an out of warranty lens, I would only consider it if it is at least at a 30% discount of the price of a new lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.