Value for money (lightweight cameras): Old m4/3 or Nex series?

Dec 2, 2010
Around the world
Hi all!

As I am doing my research on lightweight cameras to bring around with me - which one of the above do you think will be more value for money:

1) Old Panasonic m4/3
2) Old Olympus m4/3
3) Old NEX

Taking into account if you have total of 1500SGD to spend on the camera and the lens? Also would like to ask if the lenses for m4/3s are significantly better than the NEX series? (but the NEX series has a larger sensor of course).

Which overall package would you take ... thanks!!!

thexcuriousxwanderer said:
Hi all!

As I am doing my research on lightweight cameras to bring around with me - which one of the above do you think will be more value for money:

1) Old Panasonic m4/3
2) Old Olympus m4/3
3) Old NEX

Taking into account if you have total of 1500SGD to spend on the camera and the lens? Also would like to ask if the lenses for m4/3s are significantly better than the NEX series? (but the NEX series has a larger sensor of course).

I will definitely take old m43, 20mm1.7, 14mm 2.5 and 45mm1.8. The extra money can buy a cheap manual flash.

1500 budget is more than enough.
Nex lenses are quite big actually. Yea their sensor also big.

thexcuriousxwanderer said:
Hi all!

1) Old Panasonic m4/3
2) Old Olympus m4/3
3) Old NEX

Can't really tell . There's too many old m4/3 Cameras around and nex models as well .

There are much more lenses on the m4/3 system as its a much more matured system. People usually thRow theiR money in the 20mm 1.7, 45mm 1.8mm and 12mm f2. But your budget of 1.5 would not get you a camera with all 3 prImes. Sharp primes cost money , the 12mm f2 will cost 66 percent of your budget.

For nex, the 2 sharpest primes are the Carl zeiss 24mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8. The zeiss alone will blow youR budget, if u are happy with kit lens , you can get a nex5n dual lens kit plus 50mm1.8 with your budget.

Similarly for m4/3 you can get g3 /epl2 single kit real cheap and spend the extra to get a sharp prime .

Hi all!

1) Old Panasonic m4/3
2) Old Olympus m4/3
3) Old NEX

I'd say m4/3 and specifically G1 (~$300) or G2.
Reasons :
1. Panasonic AF has been the significantly faster one up until Olympus EP3 and variants.
2. G series were the highest end m4/3 for Panasonic (ie. build quality; swivel screen; built in EVF)
3. m4/3 has a set of very good native lenses namely that are more within you budget (2nd hand prices) : 14/2.5 (~$320); 20/1.7 (~$370); 45/1.8 (~$400)

Since this is not your only system, I won't go into the m4/3 vs APS-C sensor specifics (lazy to type) :)
I'd assume you know about the m4/3 limitations and advantages short of model specifics.

Oly EPL2 and EP2 are pretty good too. Its advantage is in camera shake reduction.