Value for money backpack for laptop and dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotisiao

Nov 14, 2007
hi guys...i already have a lowepro slingshot a100 for my D40 + Sigma 18-200 + filters and some little barang barang, but sometimes i find the need to bring along my 12" laptop as well for projects or on site editing. In such a situation i put my D40 in a soft pouch and stuff it into my laptop bag. Thing is its just not comfortable, the bag becomes really fat and bulky not the mention the load being concentrated on one shoulder. I am looking for a backpack which can put my 12" lappy + power adapter comfortably and the d40+ 18-200mm lens and some filters. Budget about $150/-. Any recommendations from you guys? :)

$150 should be enough to accomplish such a wish.

Couple of affordable models from Kata, tamrac and lowepro would solve your troubles.

Lowepro's compudaypack is one of the value for money ones...though the laptop section part may be abit big cause it can cater to at least 15.1 inch. There are many more options from lowepro.

Kata DR-467 is another one, similar to compudaypack, but better design and more robust in my opinion.

Tamrac shoulder sling series has 1 or 2 models. I can't remember off hand.

yes, $150 well within budget. i have the lowepro compudaypack, i suggest you look at other stuff, because that one is overpadded in my info, and you end up looking like a pack mule. this is fine, but if you are going to carry it around a lot, especially during travel, you will attract attention, and it is not compact at all, you will have travel maneuvering around in crowded places.

for tamrac, the laptop/dslr combination should be the adventure 9.

if i were you, i would look at the kata that is mentioned. not sure if it is the correct model, but the one from kata that i have seen can do what you want, and looks wise it will not garner too much attention. note that this isn't about aesthetics, but pragmatism.

any shop you guys can recommend to look at the Tamrac and Kata bags to get a feel of it? Specifically i have taken interest in the Tamrac 5585. Anyone using it can comment and any idea how much? Kata's website seems slightly cluttered to really narrow down to something but would check them out too.

and yea i am kindy short (1.67m) thus i dont want to look like a turtle with a huge backpack.
http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/TQ5585/

I am currently using Lowepro Fastpack 250. Personally finds it very useful when traveling oversea with laptop. :thumbsup: The upper compartment is good for all the barang barang.
You can find out more from this link http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-250,2086.htm

I am currently using Lowepro Fastpack 250. Personally finds it very useful when traveling oversea with laptop. :thumbsup: The upper compartment is good for all the barang barang.
You can find out more from this link http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-250,2086.htm

hi, how do you compare the "attention grabbing" meter of fastpack 250 compared to compudaypack, if you have used the latter before?

the compudaypack really sticks out from your back like a sore thumb, if you're not that tall.

any shop you guys can recommend to look at the Tamrac and Kata bags to get a feel of it? Specifically i have taken interest in the Tamrac 5585. Anyone using it can comment and any idea how much? Kata's website seems slightly cluttered to really narrow down to something but would check them out too.

and yea i am kindy short (1.67m) thus i dont want to look like a turtle with a huge backpack.

Hi rotisiao...you can go to TK...they carry all the brands that I have mentioned, including the last one to be mentioned in this reply. Another forummer is also right to mention fastpack 250. This model slipped my mind.

Hi night86mare..i think the fastpack is slightly more slim looking than the compudaypack. I am quite sure of the Kata model cause I used to own 1. Not too sure of the price now, but a Adventure 9 may be over-budget. I use to own the adventure 7 too. Quality and form factor wins lowepro's model in my opinion.

Just a suggestion, but be prepared for it's price. Thinktank's UD50 S$235. Make quality the best among all that are mentioned here (in my opinion again). Flexibility of slinging or haversacking it(extra haversacking strap need to be bought at around S$30) And best looking! But it's still a suggestion after all as it's way out of rotisiao's budget. Just wanted to show you all your options.

See here for price and locations:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279300

Anyway, rotisiao, that bag is quite huge and not that cheap. The price you are seeing is US dollars if I am not wrong.

hi, how do you compare the "attention grabbing" meter of fastpack 250 compared to compudaypack, if you have used the latter before?

the compudaypack really sticks out from your back like a sore thumb, if you're not that tall.

I have not used the compudaypack before. After reading your question, I went to lowepro website to take a look at the bag. I say should be quite similar to the Fastpack. It is definitely quite thick due to all the padding. But for the the Fastpack, it has the all black color model (dunno abt the compudaypack) hence the "attention grabbing" meter is not as high as say even the gray compudaypack. I am not very tall, abt 1.7m only. But when I look into the mirror carrying my bag, I dun feel that I look funny. :) But of course, that is for me. The Fastpack 250 model which is for laptop up to 15" is still ok. But the Fastpack 350 for 17" laptop is HUGE. It is really tall in my opinion. Carrying that definitely attracts some attention.

One thing I like about the Fastpack as compared to the Compudaypack is the easy access feature. Pretty much like the slingshot i should say but in a backpack form as well as able to hold a laptop.

I second the Fastpack 250. Fantastic bag to use, I can chuck in all sorts of stuff in the top section, load in my camera gear in the bottom and good to go! The quick access feature is god send! No more having completely unsling the bag just to change lens and its quite moderately sized as well.

the fastpack looks good. Roughly how much did you guys buy it?

Lowepro's Fastpack 250 is the best for your budget I think.

Another Plus for the fastpack is that the shoulder straps are much better padded compared to the compuday pack

Hi, I notice that fastpack 250 has a waist belt, in some occasion, may have to wear formal, so is it uncomfortable if I just tuck the waist belt in there and carrying laptop with camera in it? I think it will look funny with the waist belt on sometimes. The fastpack 200 does not have the waistbelt, but no laptop options.

save a bit more get tamrac lor. quality wise better imho for the price range
i got the camo adventure 9 but a bit BIG and no tripod mount.should hav gotton the expedition5.:cry:
http://www.tamrac.com/

hi guys...i already have a lowepro slingshot a100 for my D40 + Sigma 18-200 + filters and some little barang barang, but sometimes i find the need to bring along my 12" laptop as well for projects or on site editing. In such a situation i put my D40 in a soft pouch and stuff it into my laptop bag. Thing is its just not comfortable, the bag becomes really fat and bulky not the mention the load being concentrated on one shoulder. I am looking for a backpack which can put my 12" lappy + power adapter comfortably and the d40+ 18-200mm lens and some filters. Budget about $150/-. Any recommendations from you guys? :)

I juz got a FastPack 350 Lowepro got compartments for both camera/lenses/Laptop & even your personal belongings. However, it does not come with a holder for tripod.:sweat:

Its up to u to decede the practicality over the look of it. Quite huge for me as I stand at 1.65m but who cares as long as it serves my purpose. reminds me of my army days hee hee

Cost $155 from Orient Photo.

Hey rotisiao,

Hows the backpack so far ? Reviews ?

Looking to get one that can fit my cam and laptop as well;)

Status
Not open for further replies.